Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Recent movie going trends you’ve noticed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Recent movie going trends you’ve noticed
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that one recent trend in movie-going is for young girls to attend horror movies in “packs.” Has anyone noticed any other movie-going trends in this vein?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-20-2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My viewing of The Ring at AMC Quail Springs Mall 24 in Oklahoma City was frequently disrupted by a pack of irritating teen girls. Those little twats were screaming at anything that could be construed as remotely scary. I think they were doing that in an attempt to get attention and impress people with how much more they were enjoying the movie than the rest of us. If only they knew what the rest of the audience thought they would have kept their mouths shut. One lady who worked at that theater stood up after the show and thanked the girls for messing up the show for everyone else. The rest of the audience applauded. The girls had to leave the theater a bit embarrassed.

I consider it a big plus if a movie theater isn't attracting the ABC After School Special teen crowd. Those kids just ruin too many movies with all their misbehavior.

Here in Lawton most teens go to the mall theater. That place is only a few years old and it's really beginning to fall apart. The Carmike theater across town is very superior from the technical standpoint, but it also has the additional advantage of having a more mature and respectfully quiet crowd.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent movie going trend I’ve noticed is me walking out and getting my money back whenever any of the above mentioned “packs” of kids (or any another gang too young or rude to watch quietly and attentively) comes in and sits anywhere near me. Between the conversation, giggling, cell phone messaging and constant crawling over me to head en masse to the bathroom, I can’t take it. The other trend I’ve noticed is me walking away from the concession stand empty handed when the popcorn jockey gets too aggressive in upselling, but I’ve covered that somewhere else.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an influx of patrons who really doubt the quality of their respective features. Not doubt over the presentation quality, just overall annoying phrasing like "Is this one any good?". Don't ask me or my employees such things while we're agents of the box office. Why not "Which films do you reccomend?"

We get a lot of new-comers, too; either people who work in the neighborhood but usually frequent their suburban theaters, and those making the trek to see Minneapolis' only full-day engagement of Syriana [Big Grin] These people request detailed directions to every restroom, drinking fountain and napkin dispenser in the building, allowing them to easily forget the direction of their auditorium.

Fewer credit card transactions too...

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gary Davidson
I know that one recent trend in movie-going is for young girls to attend horror movies in “packs.” Has anyone noticed any other movie-going trends in this vein?

Man, where have you been? Teenage girls do EVERYTHING in packs.. [Smile]

Seriosuly, I would not consider it anything new.. Noticied this for years..

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 02:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Ziegler
Teenage girls do EVERYTHING in packs..
...like a pak of hungry grey wolves: just give them 'fangs' and they're out looking for the right "kill."

...viscious little monsters they are, when grouped together..

-Monte

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest trend that I have noticed in my area of Central Pennsylvania over the past year of so is the serious decline in Sunday business. Not that total business has declined so much as the demograhpics has once again shifted.

Sunday evening business is down to the point where Sunday night is just another weeknight. Even Sunday matinee has been off. The shift has been to Saturday night with a pickup in the late show Saturday night business.

Why? Well it seems to me that the first run business in my area continues to be skewering younger-and-younger. For the most part it is now mostly teens and families with younger children. Teen horror and family stuff are doing the majority of the first run business. The middle adult (and more sophisticated) audience seems to be staying home - content with thier DVDS and home theatres.

This skewering audiece trend explains the fall off in Sunday business - since teens and families with young children are not big sunday night goers.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
...viscious little monsters they are, when grouped together..
Unfortunately I know exactly what you're talking about. When I was an usher it seemed like the teenage boys always wanted to yell and fight, now it's the girls.

Every weekend we seem to be regularly kicking out groups of young girls who refuse to 1.) stay seated, shut the hell up, stay off the phone or 2.) act like an overall nuissance and/or trash the place.

Two weeks in a row I had to ask the same kid to leave after she refused to stop doing back flips in the hallway! [Mad]

The latest trend:
Small popcorn and small soda sales have gone up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 12:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
This skewering audiece trend explains the fall off in Sunday business - since teens and families with young children are not big sunday night goers.
Around here Sunday is very busy because many of the teens are occupied on Fri/Sat with ball games and such. Our most recent Sunday was busier than either Friday or Saturday. Kind of depends on the film of course.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always seen the trend that Friday night were the "kid's" night out, and Saturday night is when the adults came out - plus Friday nights were more busier than Saturday night.

-Monte

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 12:28 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
Why? Well it seems to me that the first run business in my area continues to be skewering younger-and-younger. For the most part it is now mostly teens and families with younger children. Teen horror and family stuff are doing the majority of the first run business. The middle adult (and more sophisticated) audience seems to be staying home - content with thier DVDS and home theatres.

Because the movies of late, that's who they are aimed at. Youngins. The middle adults are being left out by the current movie choices.

Girls have always traveled in packs, and always been the most "devious" trouble makers. Nothing new at all.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 01:47 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
Because the movies of late, that's who they are aimed at. Youngins. The middle adults are being left out by the current movie choices.

It also does not help that the distributors are not going quite as wide with adult product as they have they been in the past. Yet another disturbing trend.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disturbing trend on the overkill of "boy/girl" and "chik fliks" - all the same dumb story, rehashed over and over again.

Remakes that are flooding the screens - along with the sequels that are so brain-dead, that "I've wasted two hours of my life, sitting here."

Movies geared to the young generation that were written by a writer(s) with an I.Q of a 5yr old.

Hardly anymore movies for adults to enjoy.

Almost a "good-bye", heart lifting movies.

Definitely "good-bye" to the 'Classic Western' - where the good guy always gets the bad guy. (can you imagine if John Wayne got offered the lead part in "Humpback Mountain?" He'd shoot that individual in a heartbeat and not even flinch, then sue the film company for such an offer) Now, it's "how much homosexuality can be installed in this fliks."

Almost, no more movies with high standards and morals - all about depressive things.

..and why am I still in this business...??? Guess, I still love it and care about it.

-Monte

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 07:10 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday night has always been teen night at my place. I absolutely dread seeing them every week...many teenagers are evil.

I put extra staff on Friday night and have hired a security guard whose entire job is keeping these kids quiet.

My advice is too seek out the really bad kids, and kick them out until they are old enough to be in public without making an ass out of themselves.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte - you need to watch "Eight Below."

- Not a sequel
- Not a remake
- No bad language
- Enjoyable for kids but does not insult adults' intelligence
- Uplifting story (if at times a bit unbelieveable)

IOW, just what we need more of. (and it was #1 last weekend too.) [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: