Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How much can I make with screen advertising?

Author Topic: How much can I make with screen advertising?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a 10-plex in the Los Angeles area, how much can I reasonably expect to earn per year per screen with screen advertising?

I know this subject has been talked about before on this forum but I can find no definitive answer amongst older posts.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2006 12:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..it all depends on your seller how many clients he can get to do advertizing, the duration of the ads to be displayed and how you plan on showing your ads - with slide projection or digital projection.

A rough ball-park figure is about a good $1000/month being your take since you have to split it up with the seller and if the seller can really push the market well.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Monte. That squares with other info I've gotten. Regal averages around $15,000 per year per screen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..just that added revenue helps when the gate take percentage is high and the "house nut" is so expensive to operate with.

Video game parlors in the complexes do help some but not as the screen ads can bring in - if you have a market screaming for it.

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But how much can you make without screen advertising, in terms of customers who better enjoy the experience of coming to your theater and therefore do so more often?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-31-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our single screen gets $250 a month per ad, all local advertizers, it took a little selling at first about 10 yrs. ago but now they sell themselves there are always at least 15, often as many as 20. They are guaranteed to be on the screen at least twice before every show.. Ads start enough in advance to be done at show time. At present we have ads from an auto repair shop, two churches, two furniture stores, the Va. Science Museum, one restaurant, the morning newspaper plugging the entertainment section, etc. We set the ads so that ads for the same type of busines don't appear back to back.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-01-2006 04:27 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, do the churches get to say what pictures they will allow their ads to play with? Wondering if would be unhappy being up there on the same screen with those two cowboys. [Eek!]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-01-2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The contract says the ad will run before all regular shows for a calendar month and may not appear with theatre rental programs, etc. So far nobody has objected to their ad running with any movie. I guess we would pull somebodys ad if they requested and continue it after the film was gone. Right now one of the church ads is following an ad for a Sunday brunch drag show at a gay bar and nobody has complained and I know one of the church pastors is a regular customer.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2006 10:17 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of the church pastors is a regular customer.

Bill--

Just because one of the pastors is a regular customers doessn't
mean he's 'one of the devil's boys! It just means that he is
like everyone else , who likes to get away from our mundane lives and 'kick up the sand'. [beer]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-01-2006 05:54 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I wasn't clear as to where the pastor is a customer, he's a regular customer at the theatre so he would be aware that the church ad is preceeded by the drag show ad. If he's a customer the the bar, I don't know, it doesn't matter to me. The owner of Godfrey's , the bar that haa the show says that the audience for the drag show is about 80% straight couples. I've heard the show is very good as is the food.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: