Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » A private Small Cinema

Author Topic: A private Small Cinema
Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys,

I need a little help, So all the info you can give me will be a big help,

I'm wanting to open a small 1 - 2 little cinema with a normal video projector and offer people to see the old films that been on the cinema the chance to see them on big screen again, But what i need to know is, Do anyone know how i can get permission to screen dvds to the public within the uk?

Thanks for your time

Jamie [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of things you need to consider about this.
For one, you're not going to get permission to screen the DVD's.
For two they're far too low in quality to be showing on a big screen with any kind of digital projection system.
For three it's very difficult to make repertory work in any market.

If I could watch the same thing at home for less than it costs to go to the theater, why would I?
What's your gimmick? What sets it apart?
Big screen? So what! You need more than that [Wink]

G'luck.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the idea from http://www.screenroom.co.uk/

That small screen cinema seems to be working very well, So it gave me the idea to open one simular in a town where there isnt a cinema near by,

But i was just thinking about it, If its not possible then i'll work on building a normal sized cinema in my town [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-29-2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've already got the Broadway - one of Britain's best known and widely programmed rep cinemas - right on your doorstep. It's pretty much normal sized, too (c. 300ish in screen 1 and 150 in 2 if I remember correctly).

This Screen Room place says that it does have 35mm projection, so I would guess that they're renting second run films in the normal way. Theatrical distributors generally won't license screenings on DVD unless no print is available.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 02:07 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I belive Filmbank the 16mm Film Library has Commercial DVD for public exhibition, but may depend on the venue and public access.

If you open a Public Cinema in any format,you will have to apply for a Cinema Licence and the location inspected.

As it is only DVD and a small venue, I would just stick to the max legal requirement of 6 persons or less viewing to a private showing and no admission being charge or made public.

May be a Film Club with a collection tin to cover costs.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
College cinemas are using DVD in the States, but 16mm is still the norm. A film club could well cover the cost of rental, I'm not too sure if they'd be wild about contributing to the building.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-29-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ben Wales
I belive Filmbank the 16mm Film Library has Commercial DVD for public exhibition, but may depend on the venue and public access.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Filmbank only sold licences for non-theatrical screenings, i.e. to a group of larger then six people but not to the general public and not where an admission fee is sold. Film societies and universities are their core market, from what I can gather.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2006 06:59 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmbank do offer commercial licences.

quote:
COMMERCIAL licence
If you are charging to see the film you are eligible for a commercial licence. PLease note you may only advertise if you are charging.

COST OF FILM
There is a minimum guarantee of £60 per film or 35% of ticket sales, whichever is the greater plus carriage & VAT
If you wish to screen a film commercially consecutively (ie the same day or the next day in the same venue the minimum guarantee would increase by 50% of the 1st Days screening per screening. Eg for 2 screenings the minimum guarantee would be £90 plus carriage and VAT and for 3 screenings the minimum guarantee would £120 plus carriage and VAT.
If you wish to screen UIP titles commercially you will need to contact the studio direct, however although you would be doing the booking through them (and also be reporting your box office returns to them), we would still deal with the distribution of the title. For all other films (from the other studios we represent) please contact Filmbank directly
Carriage charges:
DVD - £15.50 return
VHS - £15.50 return
16mm - £24.00 return

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 03:49 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info guys [Smile]

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I looked into film bank and that was just what i was looking for, Thanks for the link [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: