Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bubble: the new Steve Soderbergh film theatrical and DVD release (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bubble: the new Steve Soderbergh film theatrical and DVD release
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 10:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Soderbergh's new film Bubble opens this week with the DVD either coming out the same day or on 1/31/06. The limited information that I could find on the film was that the DVD was to be released in the Full Screen format. So for those people who want to by the DVD, it means that you will not be seeing all the picture that the Director intended you to see. That would lead me to believe that Soderbergh could give a rats ass about how his movie is presented in that format. Personally I am totally against the release of any movie inside the theatrical window. But I am also against buying any DVD in a format that does not give the full aspect of a picture image the way the Director sees it. There are going to be some that will take advantage and buy it only to go home and realize that their full wide screen TV is useless. Of course I hope it does piss them off and teach them a lesson that this is a bullshit method of releasing films.

Anyway, my question is, is anyone out there playing the film right now. What format is the movie playing in theatres. Here is a link below to some reviews. My favorite is this one.

"In an attempt to recreate real life, Soderbergh creates a ludicrous crime drama featuring non-actors that may as well have been redubbed "Law and Order: Boring as Shit."

Rottentomatoes.com

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-27-2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
The limited information that I could find on the film was that the DVD was to be released in the Full Screen format. So for those people who want to by the DVD, it means that you will not be seeing all the picture that the Director intended you to see.
One clip I saw of Bubble on IFC suggested this show was shot on videotape, yet cropped to 'scope aspect ratio. I'm not even sure if it was HD quality for that matter.

If that is indeed the case, I'm certainly not going to make the effort to see something like that in a movie theater. I'll likely not bother to see on TV either. Most movies shot on videotape, then processed through a film step to try to look like film just wind up looking like really shitty video quality. The guys would have been far better off just leaving the video looking like video. Honestly, if "digital" and "digital video" is so freaking great, why try to make it pretend to look like something else. Those D-Cinema proponents need to grow a pair and stand behind the video-ish look of video.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 10:29 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only was BUBBLE shot digitally (in hi-def), I think I read it's also only being projected digitally in the few theatres (mostly Landmark) that are showing it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know it wasn't shot in 4:3 and cropped for theatrical exhibition? Sodaburger makes crap videos anyway, so why does anyone even care? [Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told that it will screen on the Sony 4k digital system at Landmark's Kendall Square location. Not sure if they're getting a backup print or if it will be screening on film at other locations.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see if Soderbergh would be willing to do this for say, Ocean's 13 (supposedly in development) or another big budget film, rather than some low budget film with no names that no one's going to see anyways. When this thing starts happening to the latest Brad Pitt or Mel Gibson film, then it might be worthy of news but to something starring Joe Bob Smith shot on video? Nah.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 03:51 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently "Bubble" is playing at the Little Theatre in Rochester. Rochester Gannett newspaper critic Jack Garner only gave it a 4 out of 10:

http://www.little-theatre.com/

http://www.little-theatre.com/moviePage.php?filmID=365

quote:
With BUBBLE, Oscar-winning director Steven Soderbergh proves that one doesn’t need a huge Hollywood budget and larger-than-life actors to craft an affecting motion picture. Following his star-studded spectacle OCEAN'S TWELVE, Soderbergh returns to the small-scale roots of his breakout hit SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE and his no-budget romp, SCHIZOPOLIS. The result is a genre-bending exercise that is a truly original cinematic experience. Set in and around a doll factory on the Ohio/West Virginia border, the film tells the story of Martha (Debbie Doebereiner) and Kyle (Dustin James Ashley), coworkers who have formed an unlikely friendship. But when the pretty Rose (Misty Dawn Wilkins) arrives, hidden layers of emotion begin to surface, culminating in an unspeakable tragedy.

Like a gifted documentarian, Soderbergh uses his nonprofessional cast to present a slice of everyday American life that is unflinchingly, achingly honest. Combined with Coleman Hough’s more traditionally crafted plot, BUBBLE becomes something wholly inventive. Shot on digital video by Soderbergh, and featuring a score from former Guided by Voices frontman Robert Pollard, BUBBLE resonates long after the credits have rolled. At only 72 minutes, the film nonetheless casts a strangely haunting spell. This is the first of several low-budget digital video projects that Soderbergh plans to shoot all across America.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 04:28 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe instead of spending $1000 on 35mm prints, the studio should send the DVD and an $80 Walmart DVD player to the theaters so they can all play the movie on their pre-show digital projectors.

Imagine the cost savings!

Hooray Digital!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-27-2006 06:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I'm told that it will screen on the Sony 4k digital system at Landmark's Kendall Square location. Not sure if they're getting a backup print or if it will be screening on film at other locations.
4K projection? Of something that might have been shot in an HDTV video format that isn't quite 2K, or even a standard 480p video format that isn't even close to 1K?
[Roll Eyes]

This makes me think of the fucktards who put together ads for print publications using low res photos grabbed from web pages.
---"What do you think of my ad, Bob?"
---"Well, your ad sucks total ass. I can plainly see the pixel grid on all your photos. All your obvious GIF logos have chewed up edges and pixels visible like boxes on a checkerboard. Vector-based art just wouldn't do, huh? Don't quit your day job."
[Mad]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 06:37 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't the theaters get together (for a change) and refuse to run anything that is released at the same time in theaters and DVD? NATO has to to stop sleeping and get their act together, or it will become the National Assocation of Television Sets.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this unique cinematic experiment from acclaimed director Steven Soderbergh, an unlikely love triangle is born at a doll factory in a small midwestern town fallen on hard times. Lonely and isolated, long time employees Martha and Kyle have become friends by default in spite of their drastic age difference, but their dynamic is upset by the arrival of a new worker: young, attractive single mother Rose. As Martha grows increasingly wary about Rose’s dubious character, she discovers Kyle and Rose developing a relationship of their own.

One morning, Rose is found dead, strangled in her own home. An investigation begins, one that will call into question our established assumptions about these characters and life in their small town. Featuring a cast of non-professional actors from the Ohio location, Soderbergh brings this tragic story of characters striving to establish and maintain meaningful connections to life with startling realism.

Bubble is the first of six films Steven Soderbergh is directing for HDNet Films that will be shot in high-definition and released simultaneously in theaters, on DVD and on cable television. Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban are experimenting with this day-and-date model utilizing various media properties they own, with a goal of giving consumers a choice of how, when and where they wish to see a movie.

The first film of the group, Bubble, will open in theatres across the country on January 27 and will be shown digitally in Landmark Theatres where available. On the same night, HDNet Movies will show the television premiere of Bubble twice, at 9:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. EST. Magnolia Home Entertainment will release the DVD through retail outlets on Tuesday, January 31, immediately following the theatrical release, as Tuesday is the standard release day for DVDs throughout the retail market. For the first time, consumers will truly have their choice of how they want to watch a new film.

Magnolia Pictures

You can click on playdates for a list of Video theatres playing the movie. None of them have a major name.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
Why didn't the theaters get together (for a change) and refuse to run anything that is released at the same time in theaters and DVD? NATO has to to stop sleeping and get their act together, or it will become the National Assocation of Television Sets.
It's only playing in 34 locations according to boxofficemojo.com. And most of those are Landmark Theatres, which are owned by Mark Cuban and the gang that made this film. From the Bubble site :

quote:
Wagner and Cuban also own 100% of Rysher Entertainment, Landmark Theatres, and Magnolia Pictures Distribution, and an interest in Lions Gate Entertainment. The duo also own two movie production companies, 2929 Productions and HDNet Films, along with HDNet and HDNet Movies, two general entertainment high-definition television networks available on most major cable and satellite providers.
And since it doesn't release on DVD until Tuesday, it's not really simultaneous release, is it? It's just got a very short release window.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 10:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD release date is Tuesday because that's when 99% of all new DVDs are released (same situation with CDs.) The distribs ship stuff out the weekend before the release, arriving (usually) on Friday or Monday, giving the stores time to set up displays and such.

What I'm wondering is, are any of the theatres playing the film also selling the DVD? And how is it selling?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The L.A. Times ad actually has the movie theatre (Nuart) listed AND lists the HDNet showtimes as well. And adds that it Starts Tuesday at a video store near you!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-28-2006 12:53 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In reality the movie should really be considered a straight to video release. Studios just need to realize that they would be screwing there biggest advertisers of there product. The movie theatres push the awareness of a film and word of mouth travels whether it is good or bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: