Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum

my profile | my password | register | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Scene missing... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Scene missing...
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Monday night I took friends to the CineArts @ Santana Row in San Jose to see Brokeback Mountain. I’ve already seen the movie a number of times, and own a copy of the screenplay.

An entire scene (on page 12 of the “Story to Screenplay” book), where we see the boys hanging up strips of meat, cooking it, and eating it after they had just shot an elk for food was missing from the movie!!! This scene was in all of the other prints I have seen.

There was no evidence of any film splices or anything. So my question is, WTF? Did the lab leave out the scene by accident? Have there been other instances of this where scenes have been left out of certain prints of other films?

This is not cool because the customers who are seeing the film are not seeing the whole movie as intended. And as small of a scene as it sounds, in fact it’s actually a very important scene!

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you informed the theater manager immediately so that he can ignore your concern and continue showing an incomplete print [Smile]
It's interesting but a lot of theater managers don't take complaints like that seriously...

Jeff Eisentraut
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 02:27 AM      Profile for Jeff Eisentraut   Email Jeff Eisentraut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Manager probably cut the scene out after he received several complaints about the way the two boys were handling their meat...

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 06:51 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's total crap.
If you're going to watch a movie that is Rated R for sexuality, nudity, language and some violence about two gay men what the hell do you think you're going to see?
It's certainly not going to be all pretty dresses and dancing.
People who complain about the content of R rated movies when they should've known from the get-go what kind of content the movie was made of need to be taken deep into the woods...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-30-2005 07:26 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Dominic.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 10:22 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Author's Homepage   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me the responsible thing would be to call the theatre and inquire. If you don't get a satisfactory response [I'm not sure what would be], then I expect Focus Features would really like to hear about this...

--jhawk

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it replaced with a scene of them eating pudding?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-30-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, contact Focus Features. They are a small enough studio that I would expect for them to take a call like this very seriously and force the theater to replace the print like they should. If it turns out the theater cut footage out, not only should the theater have to pay for the entire print, but they should also lose ALL future bookings with that studio and be outed to the other studios for cutting footage. (If that is what happened.)

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. Since it's a small studio and a film with a staggered release schedule, is it possible that there are different cuts of the movie out there?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this scene occur near a reel change?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 03:51 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Since it's a small studio and a film with a staggered release schedule, is it possible that there are different cuts of the movie out there?
I would highly doubt that. I'd figure that final release print is final and that's going to be it forever.
Any changes wouldn't appear until DVD time unless there was a serious problem.
Just my $.02

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 07:13 AM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
Does this scene occur near a reel change?
Mike, you hit the nail on the head!

This happened to one of the two prints at my theater. I had not done either pre-screening, but when one of our patrons saw it twice in two days and mentioned some missing footage, I had to figure it out.

One of the projectionists cut off reel 1 a little early. He apparently thought it was the end, but it just had some dark nighttime scenes. He left a little over 2 minutes on the reel. This included the scenes of the bear attacking, the supplies being lost, and the elk being shot and cooked - nothing controversial. Of course, I put it back in as soon as I found out what had happened, but in the meantime there were some complaints from repeat viewers.

So, please let that theater know ASAP.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Since it's a small studio and a film with a staggered release schedule, is it possible that there are different cuts of the movie out there?
Were there printed changeover cues or were they scratched in? If they were scratched in, it very well may have been an early cut of the film. (It could also mean an EK print though.)

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 11:23 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tom how about a spoilers warning there bud [Wink]

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, your projectionist left a little over two minutes on a reel and they didn't think that was odd? Does he/she often just start cutting as soon as the picture goes dark? Whether or not this person is training I'd suggest they be taught to go to the very end of the reel then work their way back to find the proper cutting point. (Teach them about changeover cues being a good reference point.) Two minutes or two seconds, even two frames is too much. Man, if my projectionist did that they'd be out of the booth for awhile.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: