Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Looking for background on Pacific Theaters Corp.

Author Topic: Looking for background on Pacific Theaters Corp.
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
History, news, etc. I'm not finding a whole lot on Google.

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-22-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may not find a whole lot since Pacific is privately held. Without public stock holders to answer to, they don't have to make very much info public. Try looking at Decurion Corp, the holding company the Forman family uses in relation to Pacific.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 12:43 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary, I also have searched for more information on Pacific over the years. Back in the 1980's I did corresspond with one of their vice-presidents and he was helpful with some information.

You will find some more information on Sal Garcia's excellent Southern California Drive-ins website

http://www.socaldriveins.com/

Here there are various histories of many Pacific Drive-ins with some original Pacific photos too. From the opening dates you can see how they expanded throughout Los Angeles and surrounds.

They started as a drive-in operator after WW2 and rapidly expanded in Southern California. Owned by the Foreman family they are sometimes known as Foreman Pacific. They built and bought out other drive-ins and became one of the worlds largest drive-in theatre operators. They built hartop theatres too and started to expand in Hawaii. They owned at least one resort in Hawaii and in the 1960's aquired Cinerama. For some time they controlled a circuit of walk ins in the East.

Originally they planned a large expansion of 3 strip and single lens Cinerama locations, but for many reasons this stalled. I understand they still own the Cinerama company today. Their old Cinerama Dome on Sunset (now Arclight) was to be the first of many similar locations I understand.

Their drive-ins were well known for their screen murals which elaboratly reflected the local community. They boasted large neon and were common in Los Angeles until the 1980's. The sale of the drive-ins helped pay for their multiplex expansion. The Winnetka location sits on the old Winnetka drive-in that was one of their flagship locations. Perhaps the peak of the drive-in era was reached when they constructed the massive Fountain Valley Drive-in. Although state of the art in everything drive-in, it still did not hold the amount of cars as the not-far-away Los Altos.

I would be interested to find out more too, let me know how you go.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Forman family is also has some involvement with City Cinemas and Reading. Reading was in one market that a client was in...we built better cinemas in better locations for less money....they sold out of the market and started building in Australia [Smile]

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 05:05 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: