Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » E-Walk for sale, among others.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: E-Walk for sale, among others....
Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here you go from variety....

I'd say Regals shouting loud and clear about picking these up esp E-Walk and Fenway. This should all be settled in about a month.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117935079?categoryid=1236&cs=1&s=h&p=0

According to today's Variety, the E-Walk is slated to be sold:

Exhib pair plan selloff in six cities
AMC, Loews to unload 10 plexes

By GABRIEL SNYDER

As the result of an antitrust review of the AMC and Loews merger, which was announced in June and is expected to close early next year, the exhibs will sell 10 theaters in six cities.

The exhibexhib bizbiz is closely monitored by antitrust officials so that one chain does not, in effect, have a monopoly on movies in any particular market. Because Loews and AMC had competitive theaters in several distribdistrib zones, some sell-off was expected (Daily Variety, June 22).

After unloading the 10 theaters -- five each from AMC and Loews, comprising 93 screens total -- the merged company will be left with 437 locations and 5,843 screens in the U.S., making it the second-largest chain after Regal, which has 6,264 screens.

However, several of the theaters now on the auction block are considered strong earners in film-distrib circles. Included on the for-sale list is one of the biggest-grossing theaters in the country, the Loews E-Walk 13 in GothamGotham.

It is across 42nd Street in Times Square from the AMC Empire 25, which is the biggest-grossing moviehouse in the country.

Also on the list is the AMC Fenway 13 in Boston and the Loews Meridian 16 in Seattle.

Other locations now up for grabs include: in Chicago, the AMC City North 14 and Loews Webster Place 11; in D.C., the AMC Union Station 9 and Loews Wisconsin Ave. 6; in San Francisco, the AMC Kabuki 8 and AMC Van Ness 14; and in Dallas, the Loews Keyston 16.

AMC spokeswoman Melanie Bell said each theater will be sold separately, but one studio distrib exec said, "That's a nice group of theaters. It wouldn't be a bad way to start a circuit."

While Bell referred questions of why any particular theater was being sold to the Dept. of Justice and attorneys general involved, some of the sales puzzled distribs.

Unlike the situation in New York, where the two companies are selling one of two competitive theaters, two theaters that AMC is selling are not competitive with a Loews site. In northern Chicago, AMC and Loews are selling the two dominant theaters in that distrib zone, leaving the merged company with a relatively modest four-plex, the Loews Piper's Alley Theater.

And in San Francisco, AMC's Kabuki and Van Ness are in the same zone and already controlled by the same company, while Loews doesn't have a presence in the zone.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-22-2005 03:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen LaPadula
And in San Francisco, AMC's Kabuki and Van Ness are in the same zone and already controlled by the same company, while Loews doesn't have a presence in the zone.
Somebody obviously has never heard of the Loews Metreon...

-Aaron

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But isn't the Metreon in it's own zone?

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul; Others;

The Metreon plays day and date with all of the other San Francisco theatres.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Metreon is a cash cow. Everybody in The City seems to prefer it. That and it's right on the Subway line and close to downtown. The AMC Van Ness was always kind of hard to get to.

I find it ironic that the AMC Van Ness causes all these single screen and triplex theatres in SF to close, and then it goes up for sale.

Would be bizarre if Regal takes over...

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 02:18 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The San Francisco sales are due to a decision by the California AG, not the main antitrust decision from the feds. Century is planning a 9 screen cinema for the San Francisco Shopping Center on Market to open next year. That's almost around the corner from METREON. I'm wondering if either Century or Regal might bid on the Van Ness location. The other option might be Brendan, which is primarily East Bay and Vegas.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-23-2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I admit I probably should know this being a New Yorker and all, but does anyone know the significance of the Loews name "E-Walk?" I also admit that for the first year after it opened, I thought they were saying it was the Loews' Ewok. And thus I had an Emily Latella moment when I ranted to my friend about how "The insufferable Lucas has gotten his mits in everything."
"No, Frankie, it's the Loews E-Walk Theatres."
"Oh....never mind."

So I still don't know what's it mean....where'd they get E-Walk? I am thinking, it's a Loews in-joke: E from "Empire" (the AMC theatre across the street), and "WALK" meaning, walk away from the AMC and cross the street and come to the Loews instead. Other than that, I got nothin.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an E-Walk in Los Angeles, although I can't remember if it's a Loews or not. It might be the Universal E-Walk. It's a theatre that's tied to a mall that is constructed like a street scene and the NYC theater was supposed to emulate it. E-Walk is short for "Entertainment Walk". But it's a big joke in NY, because it's not a mall or a street scene. There's one chain Mexican restaurant in the building and nothing else.

It's not a bad theater...the lobby was designed by David Rockwell and several of the screens are pretty huge (although others are quite small.) It usually doesn't get the best films though. My guess is that Regal will take it unless Clearview shows new interest in the exhibition business. It would be shocking if it closed.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-23-2005 06:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be surprised if Fenway didn't go to National Amusements. They have a pretty big presence in this market, unlike Regal, which doesn't.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Brooks
It might be the Universal E-Walk.
It's actually called Universal Citywalk.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Has anyone heard anyhting about the AMC Kabuki & AMC 1000? Update on the sale?

Thanks,

Mike

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 09:44 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kabuki is being bought by Sundance, and will begin rennovations shortly after the International Film Festival. I'm wondering how an eight-screen art house will affect those currently operating, especially the Balboa.

Hollywood Reporter article

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi joe:

Thanks for the great article. It appears Landmarks days may be numbered. I'm sure the Embarcadero will survive Sundance & Cinearts/Bloomingdales. But the Lumire, Opera Plaza, Bridge, Clay?

Mike

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Article says : "The project came back to life in May, with longtime Landmark Theatres business partners Richardson and Manzari on board."

So it appears Landmark has their hands in this somehow. Personally I think this is a waste of money. The outlook of the future of movies in theatres is not good. Who goes and sees obscure stuff anymore anyways? Movies like Farmer John, Ellie Parker, etc. don't even last a week anymore. And the push is on to show them simultaneously on TV/DVD anyways. Even a movie like Ask The Dust with two major stars can barely last more than 2 weeks anymore...

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
Longtime Landmark Theatres business partners Richardson and Manzari
Paul Richardson and Burt Manzari used to work for Landmark. Manzari left a while ago and Richardson left after Landmark was sold to Mark Cuban.

Landmark has a history of running well loved art houses, but with Mark Cuban on board who knows. Mr. Cuban is a smart man and may be on to something. He is investing heavily in Digital Cinema outside of the DCI protocols. But he has some bizarre ideas as to what works in Cinema. Bubble is only the tip of the ice burg. But he has had some success this year as well with Goodnight and Good luck. Having your own production house, 29 29 Entertainment and your own Distribution wing, Magnolia Pictures will be a huge help. Landmark has some old movie theatres that are begging to be updated.

Paul and Burt only have 30-years each in the Alternative Movie Theatre game. Sundance has good backing and a reputable name. If they can get their claws in to some newer plexes in the 8-12 screen range I think they could be very competitive Every community seems to have a film festival and I think that that kind of programming may still be a growing market. When I ran an art house we never seemed to lack programming. Ky continues to run the Rialto like a 7-10 plex. If you could snap up well placed plexes in urban markets and transform them in to adult film sanctuaries you might be able to draw back those people who have fled the commercial cinemas.

People pay $4 for a fancy coffee drink, $50 for dinner out, $50,000 for a Lexus when it doesn't really drive much better than a $20,000 Chevy. Why is a stretch to think that people will not pay $10 to see a film in a place that is stylish, comfortable and pleasant to be. I think Landmark has left a lot of room for improvement, it will be interesting to watch. The Kabuki 8 is so far away from the Balboa, that I don't think it will have any impact on Gary Meyer's business. But yea, they're right to worry about the Lumire, Opera Plaza, Bridge, Clay?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: