Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Iger at it again with Day-and-date DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Iger at it again with Day-and-date DVD
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 06:36 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This article brings up an interesting question. If the DVD's were available simultaneous with the theatrical release but cost $50 and were not available for rent while in theatres, would exhibitors survive? Under this scenerio, DVD prices would drop after a few months and then be available for rental.

Iger at it again

Thinking Outside the Box Office
By Rick Aristotle Munarriz (TMFBreakerRick)
December 7, 2005

When Disney (NYSE: DIS) CEO Bob Iger argued that the film industry should narrow the gap between the time that a new flick hits the big screen and when it is released on DVD, it obviously didn't make theater owners very happy.

Attendance at the local multiplex has dropped for three straight years, and here was the head honcho of a major Hollywood studio threatening to make the theater owners' lives even more taxing. It was hard enough for them already, with folks building out home theaters with high-definition plasma and LCD wide screens, IMAX (Nasdaq: IMAX) luring popcorn-munchers with their larger-than-life treatments of first-run blockbusters, and the existence of a free market outside of their velvet-curtained walls where soft drinks and popcorn sold for pocket change. How dare Iger suggest that the retail market move to a "day and date release" model, in which a DVD or VHS title hits the shelves just as the same movie makes its box office debut?

The industry's backlash came as expected, and it seemed as if Iger was backing down from his comments made at the company's fiscal fourth-quarter conference call last month. Was the coast clear? Was it all a dream? Perhaps he was just floating a trial balloon to see how quickly the industry would hurl darts at his inflated suggestion.

However, in Monday's edition of The Wall Street Journal, Iger is again discussing the possibilities.

"We'll have a conversation with theater owners to see whether we can move them more peacefully," he was quoted in the interview. "But I think in the end, it's going to have to be more by force than through negotiation or diplomacy."

It's no longer a trial balloon. It's the Hindenberg.

Lights! Camera! Faction!
Iger's reasoning is sound. Why should a movie studio spend money to promote a film during its theatrical run only to have to pitch it again six months later, when it rolls out for the home video market? More and more these days, you see studios using their current-release print ads to advertise upcoming DVDs. It's a waste of money. But it's even worse than just that.

More than 10,000 new DVD titles have been released this year, yet just a little more than 400 of those have been recent theatrical releases. Television shows, direct-to-video ventures, and older flicks have flooded the slate. It's harder for a new DVD to stand out these days. We found that out when both Pixar (Nasdaq: PIXR) and DreamWorks Animation (NYSE: DWA) this year announced higher-than-expected unsold product returns of their latest hits.

That's why Iger is so anxious to strike while the projector's still hot. Would the crowds stay away from the theater this weekend if they could snap up Narnia at a Disney Store? It would likely have a negative impact, sure. However, Disney would probably sell far more copies now with the buzz still reverberating than it would next summer with a second ad campaign.

As long as the movie is fresh, it will be that much more valuable to a consumer and that much more likely to stand out against a crowd of tens of thousands of competing titles. The move would also do wonders in wiping out pirated bootlegs.

Making nice at the multiplex
Elective euthanasia isn't in the cards for the movie theaters. They would put up a fight initially and would probably even refuse to show a renegade picture. They would need to send a message to rival studios that their hallowed aisles are sacred.

But Iger has thought that out, too. One of Disney's ideas was to have movie theaters sell the DVDs. If you caught Narnia and were pumped enough to buy the disc at the theater itself, it would be far more lucrative than the thin slice of box office revenue that movie theaters keep during a film's opening week.

It shouldn't stop there, of course. Theater chains should already be setting up kiosks inside to sell movie-related merchandise. Recently, I took the industry to task for wallowing in self-pity for what has been a self-inflicted wound. Even before audiences started to sour on a night at the movies, the history of the multiplex operators has been filled with bankruptcy reorganizations and sector consolidation, coated with a deep-fried layer of stagnancy. There aren't too many publicly traded chains these days once you get past Carmike (Nasdaq: CKEC) and Regal (NYSE: RGC).

Iger suggests allowing day-and-date releases based on the prospects of DVD sales, and I'll argue that related video games, plush toys, soundtracks, T-shirts, and movie posters should be sold right alongside the flick itself. It's only logical. It's how live theater gets it done. When my wife took my son to see Blue Man Group this past summer, he came back with a CD. And a T-shirt. And a poster. I doubt that he would have bought any of those impulse items a week later. A film house is an experience peddler, and that buzz lasts about as long as it takes for the exit door to swing open.

In-theater merchandising would obviously help the movie studios, too. The chains would have an attractive revenue stream and gain more leverage with the film industry as an outlet for licensed goods, but Hollywood naturally wouldn't mind the merchandising royalties. That's also why the movie studios may have to be the ones to initiate the process. Too many nervous theater operators are too busy sweeping the floor of their nibbled fingernails to innovate. For example, the digital distribution of new films to the movie chains makes perfect fiscal sense, yet it's been a slow adoption process for an industry that won't even bother to rearrange the deck chairs on their sinking ship.

They're just not trying. If you walk into a theater that's offering the same bland ballpark concessions that they have for decades and a few video games out front, please do the industry a favor and vote with your feet. Force the dinosaurs to think outside the box office.

Iger is proposing something radical. The skeleton key to unlock that inevitability may be more radical still, like setting up localized revenue pools where theater operators that do play along with day-and-date releases get to split the pot of territorial merchandising sales. If it's just a matter of greasing the box office split so that it favors the theater owners earlier on, then it's just the movie studios that aren't thinking creatively enough.

The point is that movie theaters don't have to die unless they want to. For investors, there may even be some attractive situations here. IMAX was a Motley Fool Rule Breakers recommendation earlier this year, in part because it is improving the value proposition of first-run releases at its growing chain while giving theater owners a fighting chance with economically feasible retrofits of their existing multiplexes. Content will also be a big winner, and it's why Pixar, DreamWorks Animation, and Time Warner (NYSE: TWX) have all been recommended by the Motley Fool Stock Advisor newsletter service.

Get it together, theater chains, before you too fade to black.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiplex to Disney: The content of your movies are dwindling & Pixar will leave you soon. We will buy up content specific to our clientel and not your fantasy world.

ps. My patrons still buy VHS in good quantities, so there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-14-2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Let's see....Bob Iger doesn't like how new movie release DVDs don't stand out very well against the giant multitude of TV show DVDs, music oriented DVDs and hundreds of older movie DVDs of films that are on average a shit load better than the collective of new movies being released today.

Did I understand that correctly? Okay.

Next step. Bob Iger's solution is to do away with movie release windows, that way those new release DVDs stand out from the crowd of other DVDs better? Right?

Right.

Y'know what that solution sounds like? It sounds like someone who has a corn on his right big toe -and to get rid of it he takes a chainsaw and amputates both of his fucking legs!

Every argument for eliminating the window between theatrical and DVD release is bullshit.

The piracy angle. All the people I know who buy pirated DVDs probably will never be frequent retail DVD customers. Most people I know find it too much of a pain in the ass to copy DVDs. They'll just rent the thing. Or possibly buy it if the movie is really good. They're not going to buy a send up of "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "Bewitched."

The Broadway show tune play with soundtrack CDs on sale in the lobby angle: More bullshit.

Movies and music are completely different things. They are experienced in very different ways. You can drive or work or exercise or screw to music. You can't really do that with a movie. Music can work in the background. Music is portable. Movies aren't really either of those things. They are very different. They have very different marketing needs. I cannot believe Bob Iger is running a major movie distribution company and ignoring that very fundamental product difference. And I do say "ignoring," because how can one manage to become the CEO of Disney and actually get fuzzy on the difference between movies and music?

Then there's all the other angles being played, "yeah, we can even have the video game on sale in the movie theater lobby." Um, news flash. Most video games based on movies suck ass. Why? Because it takes a really long time to develop a good video game. Sometimes it takes more time to develop a really good video game than it does to make a movie.

I will agree with the very basic notion that movie marketing is in dire need of reinvention. Shit, look how many times I've complained about Trajan being used on movie poster titles. I laugh at many movie trailers for the clichéd whooshing sound effects and other editing styles that are now 20 years old!

But killing the very thing that makes a movie a real movie is just fucking stupid.

Bob Iger is worried about new release DVDs not standing out from the crowds of other DVDs? What is he going to do when there are no movie theaters to help differentiate the mediocre on average product? When every movie is just a made for TV movie then those video sales figures are really going to turn to shit.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-14-2005 11:26 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we do not need is this crap. What we DO need is for operators to give at least half a rats ass about thier product, and let the bottom line slip just a bit in the interest of retaining your friggin customer base!

What do you all think of this idea... Open a small three or four screen theater as a luxury based cinema, where the seating, sound, accomodations, everything, will be of luxurious form, prices will be higher to basically price these roaming pricks that make the experience hell right out of the place, and also offer club seating with concierge service for those that pay an annual fee for access to the private club. Seating will be reserved.

It may not work, however when you ban children from the place, you might just get a few adults who act like adults come on over for some good ol fashioned entertainment and a movie...

Or it could fail. Either way, I know that at least I would pay a higher price to GO TO A FRIGGIN movie and enjoy it. I hate getting stuck at home all the time. However, if things don't improve, I am going to join the many that have already done so and create my own damned home theater.

Ciao

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-14-2005 11:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cineplex Odeon Varsity V.I.P. has 4 screens, 137 seats within the same location that has 8 screens, 1944 seats.

They've got ushers, coat check, concierge service and an express concession line once the show has started.

Prices for the V.I.P. auditoriums are $14.95 for everyone, while the other 8 screens are Adult: $11.95, Child: $8.50, Senior: $8.50.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was glad when Eisner stepped down at Disney, but now with Iger at the helm, Eisner is starting to look pretty good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iger is simply yet another American CEO who thinks more like a banker or accountant than anything else.

Ask a Japanese or European car company executive what he does for a living: "I make cars."

The American car executive's same response: "I make money."

That's the fundamental problem with what's happening in the movie industry and most other industries in America. We have guys running the show who only think about making short term profits and will do anything to create those profits -even if it means screwing up the product quality or even threatening its very future.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Williams
What do you all think of this idea... Open a small three or four screen theater as a luxury based cinema, where the seating, sound, accomodations, everything, will be of luxurious form, prices will be higher to basically price these roaming pricks that make the experience hell right out of the place, and also offer club seating with concierge service for those that pay an annual fee for access to the private club. Seating will be reserved.
Amen! I would go to such a theater!

If anyone is interested, there's a four screen location that has been closed for a couple of years now, that has room for expansion. It's pretty well located in the Milwaukee Metropolitan area and has convenient freeway access.

http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php?theater=MuskegoMovieplex

If I had Mark Cuban's money, I'd give it a shot just to see if it would work. Someone's gotta do something or Iger's dream will be fulfilled without a shot being fired. Theaters who choose to do nothing have no one but themselves to blame.

quote: Dave Williams
However, if things don't improve, I am going to join the many that have already done so and create my own damned home theater.
I highly recommend this course of action! In the absence of the necessary fortitude on the part of theaters to bring showmanship back, it's the best way to experience movies on your own terms.

Fresh popcorn: 50 cents
Your choice of soft drink/beer: 1 dollar
Netflix membership: 10 dollars (per month)

The ability to watch a movie when you want, in a comfortable seat, and with great picture and sound:

Priceless.

If King Kong were available in HD right now, I'd pay upwards of $30-$35 to see it in the comfort of my own home theater. If I was inviting a small group of friends over, it would be worth $50, since we'd still be money ahead in the end.

Theater owners who don't see this as a very real possibility in the very near future are deluding themselves.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-16-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're missing the point (or what's supposed to be the point, at least) of going out to the movies. It's supposed to be a NIGHT OUT of your house, where you leave your cares outside, and you don't have to pop the popcorn, and you don't have to answer phone calls, and the movie runs without you having to fiddle with it, and you can immerse yourself in the show without interruption with a group of people who experience it on the same emotional level as you.

That's what it is SUPPOSED to be. If it takes "premium priced" theatres to deliver that experience, it'll be a sad day. Movies are really one of the LEAST expensive forms of out-of-home entertainment. The real tragedy is that the public doesn't realize that, in fact they think the opposite.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-16-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in NYC, the Ziegfeld Theatre will be charging $12.50 admission for it's one week city exclusive engagement of "The Producers". After that week they will return to the regular admission price of $10.75, when it opens city wide.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it already seems that day-and-date is happening, at least in regards with advertising. It the old days (i.e. - a couple of months ago) Giant TV ads featured the new hot movie out on DVD. But Toshiba (and presumably Universal) couldn't wait. Before King Kong even hit the theatres, they were showing how spectacular the movie would be on their plasma monitors 9photo simulation). I guess the message is, why bother with the rinky-dink theatre presentation when you can watch it at home. (Universal had already announced an April DVD release several weeks before it came out in theatres).

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why Iger wants people to stop going to see the picture at the theatre, and then paying for it again when it comes out on DVD.

All the people I know that buy a lot of DVD's go to the movies a lot too...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-26-2005 04:56 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
If it takes "premium priced" theatres to deliver that experience, it'll be a sad day.
Not necessarily. While I am no longer in the exhibition industry, (something I wish to eliminate in the next few years), where I work now we emphasise "premium price for premium service."

In fact, we charge more for our services than any of our competitors, and our services are not only in high demand, but are the highest rated amongst all our competitors, and we do more business than our competitors.

We achieve this by NOT entering into areas of business that are unprofitable, and instead finding profit where none may have even existed before.

Of course, I cannot say where I work, as this would violate my employer-employee contract of confidentiality, but regardless, I do believe that premium price could save the industry.

The industry also needs a shake up. From both ends, the studio and the exhibitor. The studio needs to learn to make movies for less, requiring thier "stars" to work on points with no guarantees, keeping budgets low, and hiring better writers and directors. Give premium product, and people will return.

Now they also have to learn to take LESS money on the gross. A flat fee with house allowance should be negotiated between the two industries, with a guarantee window depending on projected draw.

The exhibitors need to be held to quality standards with thier new found money and product.

This is a symbiotic relationship, that unfortunately people like Mr Lucas has abused with his 90 percent take crap. It should be a matter of anti trust violations or something!

Then there was the building boom, with all these Venture capitalists and billionaires building three times as many screens as are needed, forcing hollywood to produce three times as many pictures, with two thirds of them total crap.

What we need is a standards and practices for exhibitors, and if it takes it, then a friggin act of congress to force studios to take just half the income with a house allowance for the exhibitor.

HOW HARD IS THIS!!!

Ciao [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-26-2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Fields
All the people I know that buy a lot of DVD's go to the movies a lot too...

..for people STILL love to get the frik out of the house and be entertained - and they can't REALLY get that with all of the home entertainment gadgetry they can have.

The real experience and thrill is being "at the movies" and watching it on the BIG SCREEN. Plus, they can make a night out of it with dinner before or afterwards.

Also, today's movies are almost geared for the young people, and not to the adults. We've noticed movies mainly containing "boy-girl", "chic fliks" "dumb action movies" and silly "love stories" - all movies that a 5yr old can figure out in 10 minutes. Nothing too big and complicated, but something to get the young people to the GigaPlexes, and then to "Best Buy" for DVD sales when these fliks comes out later on ...

Young people have the "world by the tail" so to say and they want to grab as much of it while it's available. And in doing this is called "spending as much of the moolah as they can."

..a supply and demand situation here...

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-26-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A real genius!!! $50 dvd at the boxoffice? Piracy? Once a theatre bought one, they could copy thousands off of it with really great features. THAT IS PIRACY. Theatre employees could have a really good second income. They would probably work for free.

With friends like these (Iger) we don't need enemies! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: