Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New Carmike Policy (Trailer) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Carmike Policy (Trailer)
Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2005 11:27 AM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I was just wondering if any of you out there have seen the new Carmike policy header. To the dismay of many, the whole "Carmike Across America" has gone. The new clip is very "Filmackish" and features clips from current and upcoming movies as well as some concession plugs, a turn of your cellphone message, and a thanks to the patrons. How often will these be replaced? (The clips were from movies like Harry Potter and King Kong. They could run those for quite some time.) Also, being a five screen, we only got 3 scope and 3 flat. (Right now we have 4 scope movies.) The other Carmike in town (6 screens) got at least a box full. I guess we need to call and bitch at someone in Georgia.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-20-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the new Carmike policy trailer this past weekend (on the front of "King Kong").

Sure, the "Carmike Across America" thing used on the previous two policy trailers is gone (the DTS mix on the first one was better than the most recent one). I'm not really disappointed by it though. I have heard the new policy trailer doesn't have DTS time code on it. Has the Carmike policy been dropped from DTS movie discs?

Overall I think the new policy trailer is a significant improvement. It has a more polished, professional feel to it than any of the previous Carmike policy trailers. The policy trailer still pushes the snack bar and all that stuff, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as cheezy as it has been on previous snipes. I would personally prefer a separate ad to push drinks, popcorn and candy.

I do agree Carmike will have to change those policy snipes out from time to time. The current one features fly-by film clip shots from "King Kong" and "Pirates of the Carribean." Gotta stay current or risk looking dated.

I haven't seen the most recent policy trailers of every movie circuit out there, but I haven't seen anything yet that beats the policy trailer quality General Cinemas had in the mid to late 1990s.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-20-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, are you referring to the GCC policy with the space candy/clouds or the candyband/spotlights?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-20-2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

I liked those GCC policy trailers more than any other I can remember. They were very professional looking, colorful and some were pretty funny (like the one where one of the candy characters gets his nose stuck in the movie screen).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, GCC had some of the best policy trailers ever.

...of course this is not meant to discount the infamous Muppets policy trailer Loews used to run and the love/hate relationship with the older Front Row Joe policies (pre-cgi).

UA gets the award for worst policy trailer of all time with their "Prehistoric Dino" cartoon knock off of Jurassic Park from 1994. Worst EVER! [puke]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not stand those AMC policy trailers in the 90s. THat stup;id movie guy and the really loud crashing reels during the Silence promo. And then the idiotic reel guy doing the unfunny conductor bit.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's to be no talkin', cussin', or fightin' during this show. Don't wanna hear no cell phones or beepers, I don't wanna see any trash on the floor. And keep your eyes on the emergency exits. Got it?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-21-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
United Artists has had some pretty strange policy trailers.

Yes, that cartoon dinosaurs thing from 1994 was truly awful.

There was another involving a CGI cartoon of a floating smiley mouth and hands and top hat. If I remember right, popcorn shot out of the hat and the floating mouth ate it. Creepy. And it made me think of Rolling Stones tunes. Still creepy.

Then there's that Bladerunner looking UA policy trailer. Overall the trailer looked cool. But it had that boy, or was it a woman, saying "welcome" on the giant electronic CG screen. Creepy again.

quote: Pravin Ratnam
I could not stand those AMC policy trailers in the 90s. THat stup;id movie guy and the really loud crashing reels during the Silence promo.
Some of the computer graphics in those trailers were kind of cool. But the character made out of film strips never really caught on -certainly not like other film circuit characters like "Front Row Joe." My main gripe with those AMC trailers was not so much the trailers themselves as it was the hollow echo chamber sound quality I would often hear at their theaters.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 05:08 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clippy is alive and well, folks.

Granted, he stars in rather uninspired and dull policy snipes. But he does still live.

Regal's "film roller coaster" policy snipe was pretty cool... but I don't think they've played that one in years.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-14-2006 07:11 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should just get that military guy on "The History Channel" to ORDER compliance. Louis

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 08:43 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
it had that boy, or was it a woman, saying "welcome" on the giant electronic CG screen. Creepy again.
I heard her referred to once as "the lesbian welcome lady". LOL

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-14-2006 11:28 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Roller Coaster is alive and well and still playing here. [thumbsup]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-14-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Maybe we should just get that military guy on "The History Channel" to ORDER compliance.
Do you mean Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermey, USMC?

One can make an argument he should have snared a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in "Full Metal Jacket." It's by far the most authentic drill instructor portrayal in movie history. Nothing else comes close. But then again, the role wasn't a stretch for Ermey since being a Marine Corps DI was his former job.

Ooh-rah.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2006 05:14 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be awesome to have the Gunney on some policy snipes!

Semper fi!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2006 01:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should get R. Lee Ermey to do an anti-cellphone trailer, it could be great!

ALL RIGHT YOU MAGGOTS, GET THOSE CELLPHONES TURNED OFF BEFORE I RIP OFF YOUR HEADS AND SHOVE 'EM DOWN YOUR FUCKING THROATS!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: