Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » KING KONG tickets presale

Author Topic: KING KONG tickets presale
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 05:18 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi -

Are Your custumers showing any attention to the new KING KONG ?
It has now been almost two weeks since I've started pre-sale, and for the 3 showings on opening day, I have sold 3 tickets !
-and so have many of my local collegues. -Are we facing a major flop from Mr Jackson ? For me, it looks two ways:
1) The audience, watching the trailer, lift their shoulders, saying "been there, seen that"
2) Outside, potentional audiences, are not at all aware, yet another KK is coming.

Originally, I was afraid of getting into trouble, having both Harry P, King Kong and (X-mas day) Narnia - and only two screens, but now I'm afraid, I'øve got plenty of space.

How does it look "around the world" ?

Greetings from Denmark

Per

|  IP: Logged

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not done any presale tickets, but I do think this movie is going to do very well. Most people I have talked to want to see it.

The poster in the lobby has draw attention, though not as much attention as the Narnia poster.

From what I've read the movie is excellent.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-06-2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is too much positive buzz about KK to believe it will flop. So far all test screenings have come back with extraordinarily high numbers and the industry is abuzz with talk of another titanic type epic.

This one will have some legs to it, I think much like titanic did. With HP and Narnia out, people are having to see more movies than they are used to, so give it some time.

I don't see this picture as having much pre draw. It isn't a cultural phenomenon... yet! Harry Potter has that automatic buy in from the book series, KK just has a string of floppish remakes, and the original that makes our young cringe.

Ciao

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rumours are nice around here, too. Journalists are very positive, but I just thought that Peter Jackson's name alone should be enough to make the hype... -I mean, LOTR made them sleep outside on an icecold pavement...

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two weeks ahead is a little early to expect a sell out.
It usually picks up for us the day before and opening day. But that's just our market.

As far as King Kong goes there's a lot of positive buzz here, and between the two theaters in town (we're run by the same companies) we've been promoting it solidly for a month.
I think, thanks to the saturation of product, this holliday will allow all three of the top films (Narnia, King, and Potter) to stretch their legs and give us some business when we carry them over to the sub-run house.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's today !
Great reviews all over - and ONE person watching the first show 4.15 in the afternoon - less than 20 sold for tonite.
But it sure looks and sounds good....

p

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 01:21 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say give it time. By the weekend there will definitely be more people wanting to see it.

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 03:46 PM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope weekend will be good.We had also 2 weeks presale and not one single ticket was sold.But today we had 110 people in 2 cinemas.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 52 five o´clock and 115 at the 8.30 show. Not much booked
for tomorrow. Friday looks good, but then it drops and next
week - nothing!

Thomas

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first set of Narnia today did more business than King Kong. Only by 5, but still....

Time will tell.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Thomas

You're the immidiate winner - but still those numbers don't fill much in that big and beautiful house of Yours

All the best

Per

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the official grosses, but I'm pretty sure Narnia did about as well as Kong did today. No sell outs, not even the 7. Problem is we had a moderate snow storm today so that could be skewing numbers. You'd think though that proportionally it would be doing a lot better than Narnia.

Since Thursday business on a Wednesday openor almost always takes a slight dip I await the weekend to see how this one turns out.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 05:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Per

Thanks for your nice words about my theater. It used to have
nearly 400 seats, but today it has 180 comfortable seats with
lots of leg-room. I hope to be able to make a trip to good old
Denmark and visit you next year, Per. I look forward to see
your theater and the DP 70´s.

Back to topic. To me it looks like King Kong will not be a
big hit. It will do good this weekend, and hopefully the days
beetween X-mas and New Years Eve. But after that.....?

Narnia (opens Dec 21st here in Sweden) on the other hand, will
be a big hit. I have more than 1.400 seats booked for the first
week, and counting. Looks good to me!

Thomas

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sold out one of our 7 oclocks and over a hundred for the 2nd print around the same time. We are only running one print at 10 oclock and it did 135. I think this movie is going to have legs. It takes a lot of planning to go give up 3+ hours to a movie that you already know the story. LOTR was the first make of it people were dying to see that story on the screen thats why you had lines. People will want to go see this new one but im guessing over time.

I'd say 7-8 weeks of steady business, I guess that is what Universal is guessing also based on their screwy terms based on national gross.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lotr has been made before...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: