Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Edinburghs Oldest Lady At Risk!

Author Topic: Edinburghs Oldest Lady At Risk!
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 06:46 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cameo Cinema, the oldest operating cinema in Edinburgh, and the oldest un molested operating cinema in Scotland, if not the UK, is under threat. It's present owners, City Screen, want to basically gut the main auditoream, which is pretty much as it was in 1914 when the place opened, and turn it into a bar/restaurant, and turn the current bar into a small cinema. Due to immense public opposition to this, they have withdrawn those plans and put the cinema up for sale, so it's future is now hanging in the balance. The cinema is in profit, although it would appear, not in enough profit to keep the owners happy. The Cameo has played host to the famous Edinburgh International Film Festival through the festivals entire existence, and is a much loved cinema to both locals, visitors and industry professionals, including Quentin Tarantino, Peter Greenaway and Ken Russel.

Read all about it HERE

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 08:52 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a friend who lives in Edinburgh:

The Film Festival has used this cinema and also Film House, a more recent and larger place, for many years. There are plans to build a new, bigger, Film House so I suspect the Cameo owners were worried that their business was at risk if that happened.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two cinemas don't really compete IMHO, they have a different audience base, they don't show the same material.

This has more to with getting rid of the site as real estate, and turning a fast profit.

There is the possibility that the Festival will run it alongside Filmhouse, if a buyer can be found to rescue what is undoubtedly a unique cinema.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly that is to often the case. Some Suit sees a chance for quick cash and nothing more. Are there any showmen left?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not on this side of the pond, no. The suits bought them out and closed them down.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 12:34 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More photos of the Edinburgh Cameo here.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 04:00 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i highly recommend following william's link, then clicking on the "previous photo" thumbnail several times.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 04:33 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's more of this rather special old place.

I worked there for 5 or 6 years back in the '90s, have to say it was definitely the best job I've ever had, the place ahs a real atmosphere about it, and I worked alongside some of the best people you could ever hope to.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 07:36 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
From a friend who lives in Edinburgh:

The Film Festival has used this cinema and also Film House, a more recent and larger place, for many years. There are plans to build a new, bigger, Film House so I suspect the Cameo owners were worried that their business was at risk if that happened.

The new Filmhouse plans have been created by the architect more as a showpiece development without a relistic chance of being built. The site proposed would not be that suitable and the Filmhouse does not currently have funding for a complete new build site.

I have heard that they are looking at other sites (possibly making use of the basement level of an office development as a local theatre has done) but nothing has yet been decided.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2005 09:29 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Precisely Mark, the hotel who own that piece of ground were fascinated to learn they had agreed to sell it, and give their highly paying guests a cracking view of the back of the 'new filmhouse', rather than the rather nice view out across Edinburgh to the castle that they get, and pay through the nose for, at present!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 05:57 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE

Despite publicly stating that they will withdraw their planning application, City Screen have not done so, so the cinemas future is even less certain.

Check the news section HERE

Adam Fuller
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 11:53 AM      Profile for Adam Fuller   Email Adam Fuller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also worked there for a spell. I agree with Pete - it's a beautiful place and it was a pleasure to work there. I didn't see this coming.

I really hope something comes of the Council and Film Festival looking to secure its future.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, they're crawling out of the woodwork!

'Ello Chippy [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: