Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Name That Transmitter

Author Topic: Name That Transmitter
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-28-2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early '70s, I worked at a Washington AM station that had one of these 1kW Collins transmitters as a backup.
 -
Standing right next to this rig was our main, a 5kW version that was built in of 4 of the same style of cabinets... a pretty impressive lineup, side-by side. With a second final and some beefed-up iron, it could be sold as a 10kW transmitter.

I haven't been able to find any information on the 5kW model. Anyone here know what the model was, and over what years these transmitters were made?

They were some of the best sounding and most reliable plate-mod rigs I ever worked with.

...not to mention, unfazed by beginners! [Smile]

-

|  IP: Logged

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 09:04 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't answer the question about the 5 kw. transmitter, but that's a handsome little DJ in the photo!

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local AM station had a Gates transmitter that look similar to what you describe.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-01-2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of music rotation was that...one category? [Razz]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-01-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw that model at any other station, I haven't found an online site that mentions it. Most of the Collins sites are dedicated to ham gear.

Gates did build a competitive 5/10kW design back then, but this cabinet was pretty distinctive.

The DJ is slightly older now.... [Smile]

The 45 rack was split... top songs on one side, recents on the other. We had a library of albums on the side wall and another full room of them in the back. 2 Gates turntables, 3 MaCarta cart machines, 2 classic Maggies and a Marti remote system built into a '65 Corvair van. The production room had even more classic gear.

We ran an 86 watt pre-sunrise authority, and a 5kW daytime power. We really lit people up at local sunrise.

The transmitter room was pretty colorful. We didn't convert the big box to diodes, and the old 8008's cast a nice blue glow over the room. Exhaust heat was ducted back to the furnace room. We only needed the furnace when we weren't full power.

Radio was a lot of fun back then!!

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Did it look anything like the 21E/M?

-

I ran a 5k Collins (the 21E, M is 10k) as backup to a Harris 5MWB. It had 3 cabinets and a boat anchor power xformer complete with PCB's! Big ol' warning sticker on the shack door and everything!

These were made in the 50's.

Let us know if that's it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Here is a site with a 5kw Collins Model 21 . Might this be the one?

-

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-08-2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: Now that is a MAN's transmitter (21-E) Louis

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2006 11:00 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

Agreed. That boat anchor is STILL in Grayson,KY serving as backup. This beast was intimadating at age 15. Cool to watch the tubes glow with the modulation.

Jack,

Found your transmiiter?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: