Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Screening World Cup Matches

Author Topic: Screening World Cup Matches
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 01:01 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

As you may have heard Australia qualified last night for the 2006 World Cup (Soccer/Football). Go Socceroos!

This is big news here in this country. I do note that the US has qualified as well.

I wonder whether here or in the US, drive-in theatres equipped with digital projectors will run sessions showing World Cup matches live.

Seems to me to be a great way to enjoy an evening.

cheers Peter

[ 11-18-2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Peter Berrett ]

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 01:59 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soccer is not a real sport, so don't bother.
Rugby however ......

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 05:30 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you look at the standard of play by New Zealand and I dare say Australia, of course it's not much of a sport but look at English Premier League and Italian Seria A, now those boys can play [Wink] . In regards to Rugby I'll watch it when I have trouble [sleep]

I'd pay to see a big game on the big screen but what source would you show it from? Something like the SBS channel has pretty low image quality so filling a large screen may result in a fairly crude picture. But I like the idea.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 06:15 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would just use a digital set top box, preferably one that can pick up HD. I have done this before for some sporting event, can't remember what is was now. This was a couple of years ago, just make sure you have a monitor in the bio box and some sort of shutter in front of the video projector.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 06:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Negotiating the rights to show it might prove interesting, and expensive. I don't know on what basis the pubs that show sporting events do it, but I would guess that it's by membership of some scheme; I doubt if drive-ins would be included in whatever has been negitiated for pubs.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cobalt Entertainment has been hired to broadcast the World Cup in digital 3D, which will be shown in digital cinemas among other places.

www.cobalt3d.com

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sky television in New Zealand offer a corporate package for Bars/Restaurants/Cinemas which lets organisations such as ours broardcast live sports events but its tricky to market if you are wanting to charge admission.

Perhaps pay TV providers elsewhere offer a similar service then you just have it installed and turn it on when you need it. Targeted at the right market, with reasonable admission and a food/drink package attacted it has the potential to be good revenue.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 02:00 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If public places like Federation Square here in Melbourne can broadcast sports events on a big screen, I don't see why a Cinema couldn't. Actually if I remember correctly some years ago the Palace George cinemas had football matches screening (may have been another location). And for some time the Village Cinemas chain was screening WWE events which was said to be successful.

Not sure if the World Cup would be in HD. There were a lot of whingers here who had bought expensive 16:9 plasma [dlp] 's to watch last years Olympic games on, only to find they were broadcast in 4:3 [Big Grin]

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 03:00 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had noted that Village had been showing WWE matches and of course Federation Square showed the World Cup Qualification match from Sydney live. It really looked like the people there at Federation Square were having a good time.

If you think about it we are currently 11 hours ahead of UTC here in Melbourne. That means that many matches in the afternoon in Europe are going to be in our early morning hours.

So drive-in theatres that have vidoe projectors will be able to run their regular schedule during the evening and then afterwards go straight to a World Cup match or alternatively run a further feature or two and then coverage of a World Cup match. It is sort of a version of the dusk to dawn type shows that drive-ins sometimes run.

Given Village's success, the excellent soccer ratings on SBS, and the obvious interest from Aussies this could be a great opportunity for a few drive-ins to make a few extra $$$ and have a great time doing so. [Big hint for D. K. & P.W.]

Also John, I vaguelly reacll someone telling me about something called a 'line doubler' - use of which may help the resolution problems.

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

cheers Peter

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-18-2005 04:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I don't know on what basis the pubs that show sporting events do it, but I would guess that it's by membership of some scheme...
For Premiership games they buy a 'per season' licence from Sky which allows a pub to admit members of the public to watch a Sky broadcast. The cost of the licence is based on the pub's annual turnover, ranging from around £1k for a village pub to £10k for a big city centre pub. One-off events (e.g. cup finals, boxing matches) are licensed by a one-off fee. There was an article in the paper a few weeks back reporting that independent publicans were complaining that the big pub chains were negotiating block discounts for chain-wide licenses with Sky, thereby putting smaller chains and owner-landlords at a disadvantage.

The article was prompted by Sky announcing that it was employing a whole load of people to visit pubs anonymously and gather evidence to take legal action against those which were showing Sky-broadcast sporting events to customers without the right licence. An independent landlords' rep speculated that Sky would probably go after independents more aggressively than chains.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital projectors at a drive-in? I would not think those things could put out enough light. Line doublers do not increase resulation. You cannot just make something up, that is not there to begin with.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was involved in setting up the WWE and other sporting events for projection in Village theatres the most difficult aspect was securing rights. You cannot screen free to air, cable or satellite events without having permission to do so. Rights were secured for AFL, WWE, Tennis and others after negotiations with both the sporting/entertainment organisation and the originating broadcaster.

For most events dishes were installed on the roof of the multiplex and for some we used digital set-top boxes. A few were delayed events distributed on digi beta. Resolution was acceptable and on most larger indoor screens where we often twin-ganged projectors for extra light. Several of these events were run at Coburg drive-in via a 12,000 ANSI lumen machine and standard 1.33 aspect ratio. Light and resolution were again acceptable given the type of event.

Remember that RCA pioneered these closed circuit sports events with boxing in the 1950's. They utilised mostly indoor venues but sometimes drive-ins as well. Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson all featured in these vents from the 1950's onwards.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 12:46 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fwiw, This coming Monday Village Cinemas is screening a live from London, Duran Duran concert at their Jam Factory location. Dunno if it's live "live". Be better to see a delayed broadcast on 35 mm [Razz] [Big Grin]

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 12:49 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Were the lines across the projected image noticable in the same way that you see them if you get up close to a TV?

It would be interesting to see a photo (35mm will do heh heh) of the projected image.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: