Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Does AMC Pre-Show video vary by rating? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Does AMC Pre-Show video vary by rating?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2005 07:28 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does AMC change that video by film rating?

They are running a Howard Stern Sirius Radio ad that is totally fine for an adult audience, but is totally out of line for children. Do these videos vary by film rating, or is it one for all and all for one?

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-13-2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they do vary by rating. They follow the same guide lines as they would if they were running the film versions of the ads.

Howard Stern should only be on R rated stuff I believe.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-13-2005 12:48 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The REG 2wenty pre-show exhibits the same behavior.

A couple years back there was an ad for Maxim Magazine brand hair dye, or something, for men. The ad featured, as well as a couple of sharp-dressed men with full heads of luxurious hair, many scantily clad female models who gave longing looks into the camera. I believe they also danced. Provocatively. It ran only on the version of the pre-show aired with R-rated features.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-13-2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, the Howard Stern commercial has gotten applause quite a few times this past weekend.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it is clever (although I am definitely NOT a Stern fan). I was curious if they were running it on the PG features. It would certainly not be acceptable on CHICKEN LITTLE.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 08:17 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most definietly not G or PG. I'm not certain it's even on PG-13, the only time I have seen it is on R-rated features.

(It's not just at AMC now! Don't forget Regal/UA/Edwards etc...) and Cinemark now too I think.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 08:26 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Cinemark is part of National CineMedia along with Regal and AMC. They will start using the preshow soon.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dumb question, do these companies not realize the torture they are putting their customers through? I have sat through Regal and AMC's preshow and they're both pretty bad. By the time the actual film previews start, I'm already past the point of wanting the movie to start...but then there's a solid 15 minutes of previews to sit through! Seriously by the time the movie starts, I'm not in the greatest of moods.

It's like watching tv without the programming...just commercial after commercial!!! And you can't leave!!!!! [Eek!]

At least Century theaters and most independents aren't doing this crap. I know it's extra revenue for them, but in my opinion this is the primary reason (other than bad movies) why people are turning to "home theater". You just can't make someone pay top dollar for tickets and concessions and then force them to sit through a half hour of commercials and expect for them to keep coming back.

Hieu Trung Ngo
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 05:52 PM      Profile for Hieu Trung Ngo   Email Hieu Trung Ngo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree that those commercials are quite annoying. I work at the AMC Fenway and yes that stern ad only plays on R rated stuff. Chicken Little is disney, so they don't allow commericals of any sort during the preshow....the generic AMC ads just run until the show is supposed to start

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with as much stumping for advertising companies that I've posted, I've always believed that modern preshow advertising has become increasingly intrusive over the years. Most theaters in Minneapolis with a digital preshow run their programs at a volume loud enough to distract any patrons from engaging in casual conversation about the film.

In addition to the previously mentioned decline in presentation, there's the increasingly asinine quality to the movie trivia & nostalgia in these programs. The Riverview in Minneapolis continues to run one of the best sets of Silver Sceen carousels I've ever seen. We want challenging facts & quotes, not advertising for upcoming junkers with mundane quotes ripped from the trailers!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-14-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Dumb question, do these companies not realize the torture they are putting their customers through?
No they don't. I recently went to see Chicken Little and was dreading the twenty, but lo and behold.... one Sprite ad, one Coke ad (So I guess that makes TWO Coke ads) and that was it! I forgot all about that! Thank you Disney, for forcing theaters into making the experience of seeing your movie that much more enjoyable! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

We need more Disneys. People need to openly thank Disney and petition the other studios to do the same thing. The theater execs are, after all, pushing the studios' customer base away with all of this stupid pre-show crap. If it were me, I'd be pissed. Clearly Mickey Mouse has it figured out though, which is a good sign.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2005 10:34 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and you think that eventually they wont find a way to advertise on DVDs as well?

and you may add: but I can fast forward through that stuff...

ever notice that sometimes it wont let you. you get a "feature disabled" message. it wont be long.

I have said it before.. advertising is a necessity. live with it.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-14-2005 11:31 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm going out on a limb, but chances are that Fox, Paramount, and Warner Brothers won't be running Howard Stern, Nissan, Coke, Army, Marines, Nokia, M&Ms, Toyota, Nintendo, Colgate, Hershey's Kisses, or Adidas ads on their DVDs any time soon. Get a grip.

And as far as locking me out of skipping them, that doesn't worry me. Someone will figure out a way (if they haven't already) of ripping the DVD and all of the content onto a dual layer DVD+R with everything intact EXCEPT the ads. Joe will be along any minute to tell me that he's already done that.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wont go out on a limb? why? because they are a company that is interested in making more money?

if Nike offered WB a nice deal to put a shoe commercial on the head of every DVD of Batman Forever 2: electric boogaloo, then I'm sure WB would have NO problem with pocketing such a burden.

and on Joe finding a way.. I agree with you.

but I still maintain that bitching about advertising doesnt make sense. How did you hear about this site? did you find a flyer in a film-can? did someone else tell you? did you google it?

with the exception of Brad (who created the site) and Joe (whose knowledge knows no bounds), some form of advertising brought them here.

although not quite the level of stuff on the pre-shows, no one ever complains about commercials during the superbowl...

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to go to a theater and pay to see the Superbowl.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: