Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Security for "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" ?

Author Topic: Security for "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" ?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the demographic this movie is aimed toward. Are any of you planning people to be posted at the door to prevent theatre hoppers? Extra Police Coverage? How are you preventing underage viewing? Etc?

Just was wondering...

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends where theater is located. I can say without a doubt that we will not have any issues. Other theaters in different parts of town might..in that case, I'd definately have an usher do a walk though a little more often and keep an eye on the door. I think the movie is mostly hype and will die off very quickly.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 11:17 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ehh we always have security from 5:30pm to 1 am so it won't be a problem.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12 police on a night we usually have 4

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two extra mall security posted in the theater and police on the weekend. Plus an usher posted inside the auditorum. This at a theater which had a near riot for a showing of Fat Albert (of all movies) where the GM at the time got punched in the face by a customer.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be careful you don't make it too obvious you are taking huge extra measures, otherwise you'll get people screaming racism. We were threatened by picketers before because we were checking at the door for Kings of Comedy and no other movies (nevermind no others were rated over PG-13).

Matt Barth
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 09:00 PM      Profile for Matt Barth   Email Matt Barth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked a theater during Baby Boy and a rerelease of Scarface I just wanna say good luck guys. I hate to stereotype but if you know anything about this movie, even the good guy's a thug.

---Matt

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2005 12:22 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, It Was Bound To Happen.....

Regarding the Loew's Shooting

50 Cent Movie Pulled After Pa. Shooting
Nov 10 9:18 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

HOMESTEAD, Pa.

The new 50 Cent movie "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" has been pulled from a theater where a man was fatally shot even though officials said Thursday they do not know whether the film was a factor in the slaying.

Loews Corp. decided to stop showing the rapper's bullet-ridden bio while the investigation is going on, said John McCauley, the company's vice president of marketing.

"We're unclear whether there is a direct connection," McCauley said.

He said the company is doing all it can to make sure patrons are safe at the 22-screen multiplex in a popular entertainment-and-shopping complex just east of Pittsburgh.

Shelton Flowers, 30, had just watched the rapper's movie Wednesday when he got into a confrontation with three men in the bathroom. A fight ensued and spilled out into the concessions area, where Flowers was shot, police said.

Authorities were looking for witnesses, and no suspects were immediately arrested.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here it goes again, another similar type of movie with "ATL". I have extra security coming in in hte evenings only. This one could potentially be worse as ATL is PG-13 instead of R. Thankfully we did not have any problems with "Get Rich" however this location does have a history so I will have to be a viligant as possible yet again.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well this sure is a racist thread. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I don't understand why everyone cannot understand that the black community only acts that way because they have no other viable option to succeed in life. Tavis Smiley says so. It is a proven fact that if you are not white in America you will not succeed unless it is through violence. (To whoever can make one, I really need a "jerk off" motion graemlin for when I type stuff like that.)

Anyway, I had just started in booth when Baby Boy came out and our big house (600 seats) was sold out. For some reason about five minutes from the end the film "lost its loops," so the picture was just a blur on screen. I ran over there as fast as I could to get it back on screen, but I was too slow. About half of the "people" ran out into the lobby screaming and yelling, doing what they do best, acting like idiots. The other half that stayed in the auditorium proceeded to throw their drinks and hot dogs at the screen and port window. I guess it never occured to them to simply act like a human being and wait for the movie to come back on. Of course I am sure that the same thing would have happened during Space Cowboys or James Bond, or something like that.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2006 09:45 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually ATL is unlikely to inspire violence I think - it's an uplifting story. I don't think extra security is needed, its not a gritty innercity movie in the least. It's smart and well made about its subjects. I saw it last night in Manchester, CT (with a racially mixed crowd) and there was no problems at all, and this was one of the "problem" houses for Get Rich or Die Trying (where a white kid was arrested for pulling a knife on someone). I think the reason Get Rich or Die Trying had problems with violence in movie houses is because it glorified "thug life" without truely understanding it - in that film you had people get shot and there was no futher coarse of action, no one got arrested or even seemed phased by what they had done. Thats part of the reason I hated that movie so much.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Joseph Fink
Actually ATL is unlikely to inspire violence I think - it's an uplifting story.
You're making the false assumption that people are actually paying attention to the plot. We had an ovation when Big Boy came on the screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: