Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theater treats kids expecting to see Chicken Little to the wrong movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Theater treats kids expecting to see Chicken Little to the wrong movie
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! [Eek!] Talk about a major screw up. In my 15 years in the business, I've threaded the wrong movie before, but this takes the cake...

Link

quote:
A Times Square movie theater laid an egg at a showing of "Chicken Little" last night.

Adults and kids expecting to watch Disney's G-rated animated flick at the AMC Empire 25 theater on 42nd St. were instead presented with a foreign film that opened with a young man committing suicide.

"It's pandemonium," Joshua Gallo, 30, told the Daily News as he rushed out of the theater with his 5-year-old son and 1-year-old daughter. "The kids are crying. The mothers are screaming for the managers to stop the film."

Terrified children didn't know what to do as they watched a young boy hang himself from a tree at the 8:45 p.m. screening.

After five minutes, "Andrea," a Spanish drama opening today, was turned off and "Chicken Little" was played.

Patrons got a coupon for a free movie.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no excuse for threading the wrong movie. I terminated for this once ... they started "Scary Movie 2" instead of "Shrek 2".

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a theatre where they started Basic Instinct instead of Beauty and the Beast.

Chaos insued.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I woke up this morning and quickly ran to the phone because I forgot to do print moves before I left last night. Luckily they noticed it this morning. Would have hated to see when we started Saw II instead of Chicken Little.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
There is no excuse for threading the wrong movie.
Maybe not in an ideal setup, but when you work in a theater where the GM likes to change the theaters around in the middle of the day, and you end up with conflicting copies of performance schedules laying around when you come in for the night shift, and no one bothered to leave any notes, .... well, all bets are off. I'm not making excuses for this particular situation, but that happened to me. You also have situations like this occur when the ushers "forget" to move the signs around when movies change houses.

quote: Matt Fields
I worked at a theatre where they started Basic Instinct instead of Beauty and the Beast.
That sounds familiar. If that wasn't a theater that I'm familiar with, I definitely heard that before.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen people fired over this before. People do make mistakes. This one would be a doozy.

/rant on/

However, I will ask the obvious question. Why would someone book a hard "R" and a soft "G" film in the same auditorium?Knowing full well that an 18 year old making $7.XX an hour will not pay too much attention to what film they are threading?

I think it is a two fold problem. These two types of films should not be booked together. If the industry is going to book like the theatres are professionally run - then the theatres should be professionally run by operators getting paid a decent wage. AND NO - I don't think the AMC Empire 25 has a union projectionist running around up there.

/rant off/

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the propblem is booth staff that don't check the title of what they thread up before they pres "play "
many theatres do prints moves based on seating capacity requirements or split bookings through out the course of a day and if that is the way the theatre chooses to run then the booth staff should get with the plan and take the correct precautions

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had something similar back in the 80s, when the old fellow who was projectionist at that time made a changeover from the first 6000' reel of some kids movie (back in the days of SATURDAY & SUNDAY MATINEES ONLY for some features) to the middle (second 6000' foot reel) of "An Officer and a Gentleman." And what scene was it but the nude love scene between Richard Gere and Debra Winger!

That guy made a lot of mistakes, but the union would never replace him. Finally, we got out of the contract on some yearly gross technicality.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a time years ago at one of the old theatres I used to work at. We had 6000' reel to reel operations in two of the auditoriums. One of them was playing a matinee and evening double up. The Rescuers and Scarface....you guessed it....Rescuers changed over to one of the reels for Scarface so everyone was smacked in the face with "Fuck you motherfucker, you die" People came running out from everywhere.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 07:38 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think the operator would have noticed this one in the trailers - even if they didn't check the name on the print...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This booking "problem" is caused by the fact that Disney does well in the day/"R's" do well ay night. Therefore; they tend to split the house: R vs Disney. Can't YOU see this problem coming? Louis (Color code the print leader: RED equals check everything before pushing start.)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 07:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

AMC Empire 25: "Set It and Forget It!" [Razz]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Ziegler
You think the operator would have noticed this one in the trailers - even if they didn't check the name on the print...

But when your a single projectionist at a 15-20 plex, you really dont have the time to sit and watch the previews. I am in full agreement that "R" and "G" movies shouldnt be in the same house. Mistakes happen....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-06-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With tens of thousands of shows every day, and prints being moved around, the only surprising thing is this doesn't happen more often. I bet whoever threaded up that movie at AMC Empire 25 felt pretty bad about it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2005 08:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
But when your a single projectionist at a 15-20 plex, you really dont have the time to sit and watch the previews.
Not only that BUT many theaters are still running rolling stock ads as the first thing that hits the screen and you can't always judge by those either. Furthermore, a PG trailer could be on an R movie as well as that Disney movie.

A policy of mine that works very well is on double up screens with platters that have removable brains was to take one brain and put it on the floor below the platter and that brain was "off limits" for that week as a booth policy. This way when the projectionist went to thread that screen, if he HAD to move the brain to thread the next show, it was a wakeup signal "hey buddy, there's TWO movies playing in this auditorium - check your schedule". Once that policy was implemented, the problem of threading the wrong movie stopped. It really does work very well and is sort of along the same line as storing the dts disc for the movie not running inside the center ring where the brain would sit. That then REQUIRED the projectionist to pick up the disc in order to be able to mount the brain so he could thread and served as a reminder to swap the discs.

Simple policies like this if strictly enforced DO put an end to silly goofs like this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: