Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Did anyone else have a huge rise in business this past weekend?

Author Topic: Did anyone else have a huge rise in business this past weekend?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only movie we opened this weekend was Jarhead. I had expected that one and Saw to do decent this weekend (and we have sold out a couple of shows of each) however I did not expect all the other shows to be as busy as well. For instance we sold more tickets to "40 Year Old Virgin" this weekend than we have for almost any other weekend last month. I know that our sister theater down the highway is also haveing a really busy weekend. It is like half the people in town decided to go to the movies. So I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a similar situation?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-06-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but it's been a long time since I can remember there being so many quality films available in mainstream houses at one time. This summer was pretty much a bust as far as mainstream film releases (to me, anyway), but this fall has given us Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, History of Violence, Jarhead, and Wallace and Gromit, among other titles. There's something for everyone in that list, and all are playing at the larger multiplexes. Let's hope that the trend continues.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to estimates, business for this weekend was still down 11.3% as compared to the same weekend last year and down 16.7% from the same weekend in 2003. And those percentages do not take into account any inflation in ticket prices.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are up signifigantly over the same week last year. Chicken Little is coming close to our "Incredibles" numbers, but Jarhead and strong numbers of Zorro and Saw are more than making up the difference.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a huge increase...but we do expect a larger increase Harry Potter weekend and beyond.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2005 05:21 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess I will more or less consider last weekend an anomaly. It was kind of funny as I was going into the weekend thinking that I was a bit over staffed (training a couple of new staff in anticipation of Harry P) and it turned out I was actually understaffed. Thankfully I have some pretty good people here and we were able to handle the crowds. I will be curious to see how this coming weekend does.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: