Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Polices and Procedures for the "Indies" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Polices and Procedures for the "Indies"
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-29-2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all -

I have to ask this question. But, I'll begin with the foundation of my question.

We all know that there are large theatre circuits (REG,AMC,Carmike,LCE, and others), then there the smaller circuits, (Kerasotes, GQTC, Nat'l Amusements, et.al.-which are too many to name) that have polices and procedures written as a novel.

Then we have the "indies" - the single house owners (Mike, you have a great little palace there in Forsyth called the Roxy-my kudos to you..)whom can either make their cinema look like a first class grand cinema, or look like a back alley "speak-easy" in a slum district - run by someone who looks like he used have a criminal record, or doesn't even know what the frik they are doing with that form of business and with employees who look like they came out of Juvenile Detention, with needle traces everywhere on their arms, or have facial jewelry ready to deform their basic appearance.

Thus what my question is: Do the indies have certain policies and procedures, that was drafted up by the owner(s) him/themselves that are strictly followed, even by the owner(s), or do these policies and procedures (if any) be like the socks we wear that is changed daily with utter chaos being the results?

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In January, 2006 it has been 15 years that I've worked for the same independent company. During that time it seems as if the owners always had a basic templete from which they hoped to guide their company. I'd say it was loosely based on the Cinemark model if I'd have to compare it to a national corporation.

My personal experiences regarding your question are best summarized by suggesting to you that when I briefly crossed over into management there were no rules save that your bottom line must be equal to tickets/concessions sold. No paperwork, no computer, no district manager, no anything . . . But now . . . many times I'm thankful I gave the management angle up for the quiet life of the booth.

Yet even here the forms, files, meetings, and etc are now starting to catch up. Some of these I will say were needed reforms - and yes, some even cost me economically - but off the record none were without merit in my opinion. In fact, some of the reports I'm now required to write take out any chance of one person's word against another's.

I'd say that what has happened here over the past 15 years would analagous to the settlement of the West. When I got here everything was wide open and make up your own rules. Now things are much more structured. I did see it coming, but never figured I'd still be here when it happened.

(Of course you guys will forgive me for not saying much about specific policies as I'm not sure who may read this from our main office). [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte - thanks for the compliments. [Smile]

As far as policies go -- I am well known among past and present staff for having exact ways I want things done. I always tell new hires that we have certain things we do that may seem silly to them at first, but there is ALWAYS a reason for everything and I'm always happy to explain the "why" of anything we do.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mike, I'm a single screen "indie" owner. We have a list of expectations that we have each new employee sign when they are hired. We also have "chore lists" made up for each employee to help him or her figure out what to do between films. For the most part, our few employees are very intuitive and don't need much provoking, but it's nice to have in place for when we decide to take a night off... whenever that may be.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-30-2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx for the replies on this topic. Main reason I have to ask this (and really, I don't mean to single out anybody..please forgive me if I do..)is that I've seen, as with the examples of these two "indies" replies, of a "house of definite order", to where I've seen such a chaotic operation of mass confusion due to the owner changing operational procedures on a whim on what that owner's "mood" swing is on that day.

It's obvious, that with these "mood swing" operations, that it's hard for any employee to want to continue employment with such an operation.

thx-Monte

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality (or lack thereof) of an indepentant theatre is a direct result of the owners personality. Any small business is only as good as the owner.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 12:49 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a full policy manual, just like the big guys ...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey, (and thx again for the comments) - have another question for the "indies", if possible - Being an independent business owner, is there any form of "career" opportunites allowed within the business, or is the owner the only one to have the career and the rest of the employees just doing a job for the business and can't have a career (to grow within the company) within?

thx-Monte

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 locations currently (1 open & 1 under construction). We have 3 "career" corporate office positions ... CEO, myself (Area Supervisor), Controller.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're really too small to offer anyone enough pay to consider working at the theatre as a "career." Unless you consider a long-term part-time job a career.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-31-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Unless you consider a long-term part-time job a career.
..which, with your example, Mike, that you have an excellent work policy with the employees by making them an equal part of the "Team" - not just someone who needs to be watched all the time (babysat..lol)

thx-Monte

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to weigh in on Monte's last question: all of our part-time employees are friends/acquaintances of ours. They're not looking to move up in the company, which is good since there's really no place for them to go. Despite that, we try very hard to make our employees feel needed. They work with us, not for us.

I'm a big advocate of the open source management style.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have both a policy manual and a projection manual. The Managing Director and myself spent the better part of eight months writing them. The company had been involved in smaller venues for many years before we expanded one of our locations from 5 to 13 screens, and sold the rest.

There are definitive policies and procedures for ushers, cashiers, door persons, and concession. Managers have a manual and it is updated regularly. The projection manual is supplimented with regular operator bulletins, as needed.

We take pride in running a quality operation. The principle owner does the booking and runs the business end of the operation. The limited partner is the Managing Director and oversees the day-to-day operations. I'm the third wheel, but without a financial interest. I worked many years part time, and only became full time when I retired from teaching. I don't work the floor anymore and keep things going upstairs in the booth (which has always been my domaine), but I'm always there to lend a hand and act as a third set of eyes for the owners. I have a totally free hand in running the booth.

There really isn't room for people to "move up" like there would be with a big chain.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-24-2007 03:35 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 621 days since the last post.

Charles Wierdsma
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2007 03:35 PM      Profile for Charles Wierdsma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for bringing up an older topic, but the content of this forum is amazing and I got lost in the older posts.
To those who wrote that they do have a projection manual or policy document, or to those who now have one, what is the possibility of sharing this information?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: