Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How Slow do Weekdays Get? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How Slow do Weekdays Get?
Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight was one of the slowest nights that I have had in a long time. I had 17 people for the one showing at my single screen theatre. Monday is usually the slowest night of the week, but I seldom get less then 25 or 30 people even on a Monday. During the past 35 years that I have operated this theatre, I have had one time that I only got 2 people, 4 times that I only got 5, and about a half dozen times that only brought in around 10 or 12. I have never had a no show ever (I say that with my fingers crossed).

This is a small town 2nd run house with a $3.00 top admission, so I guess all and all, I shouldn't be too disapointed. I have gone past many megaplexes on weeknights and have seen only 15 to 20 cars in the parking lot for a 15 plex. Just how slow does it get per screen at these large 1st run complexes?

So I'm asking those of you who are at these large complexes, just how slow does it get per screen per showing at your theatres on weeknights? How often do you have no one show up for a scheduled showing?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-17-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to work at a 21 screener, on some of these horrible slow nights, I'd call downstairs before I would start that last movie for each house. On occasions, in the 21 screener, there would be, on average, 5 to 8 cold houses for the 9pm shows during the weekdays in this part of the year.

But if only one customer whould show up for a movie, it went on the screen-no turning away customers.

-Monte

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week we had a 9:00 set for my 6 screener with a total attendance of 3... It ws a fluke, but still hurt..

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-18-2005 01:06 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Please change the teaser title of this thread.

Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few theatres that are exceptions.....In the 1st run multiplex I work at we did just under 2000 admits tonight. The slowest day since I've worked here (3yrs) is about 1100 people, and the slowest week has never been less than 19,000 in attendance. Just to note we also share product, if we didn't I don't think we'd ever get down to such slow weeks.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:25 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slowest we do during the week is about 200-300 people a night.

Mondays though is always the busiest. Last Monday surprisingly we did over 500.

We run all shows our 6/7 set. On Wednesdays and Thursdays we only run our 9/10 if we sell for it.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our slow days tend to be Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and for our 10-screener inside of a mall, during the school year, we'll pull in approximately 60 customers on average. Our busiest day is always Saturday, and we average around 1100 customers.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had 21 people on four screens (one set of shows)...

11 in Wallace and Gromit
8 in the Fog
2 in Into the Blue
0 in Waiting.

That was really slow for even the slow time of year though.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is considered a "small" town in the US?

Thomas

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas

In our case we have about 10,000 in our "small" town, and we are only 7 miles from a city of 110,000 people, but the metropolitan area that we are on the edge of has a total population of about 700,000. The term small town can be defined differently by different people depending on what part of the country you are in. In the northeast USA, 10,000 is a small town. In Montana it would probably be a city.

Martin

If there is something wrong with the title, please feel free to change it. I don't think that I understand why you are suggesting it be different, but if indeed it should be, go ahead and do so. If you are unable to make the change and I have to do it, just let me know what it should be changed to.

EVERYONE.

What I am looking for is the number of people per screen rather then per complex for any given singular showing of a film.

[ 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Richard C. Wolfe ]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our single screen in town house when the pic is a real dog we'll occasionally have as few as 30 for the 7:15. Typically that show time is around 150 Mon. thru Thurs. The Late show is another matter though, a few weeks ago that time brought 6 to 10 for a Mon. thru Thurs each nite. I can recall only one no show night in the 18 yrs. I've been there. It was late '80s for one of those Disney films with the cop and the dog, first run, played only one week.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-18-2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You just need to edit your original post and change the title to something that represents what the thread is about. "How slow does your business get?" would be a great title. As it stands, you could be discussing how slow your urinals flush for all we know. [Smile]

(Reference Rule #7 here.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 12:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..yea, like "How Slow have your weekday nights been" - more specific instead of "teasing" us with a pronoun (what definies "it" - what is in the word "it" )

Not to pick on you, of course..just a little help from a member.

-Monte

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-19-2005 07:39 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One urinal is very slow, the rest are OK.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of our concessionsts can work pretty slow, sometimes I think they do it on purpose to try and get out of there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: