Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Age restrictions on The Aristocrats?

Author Topic: Age restrictions on The Aristocrats?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 01:50 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if any of you had screened THE ARISTOCRATS, and if so, did you or your theater impose an age restriction even though the film is not officially rated? We're starting it on Wednesday.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-24-2005 04:00 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We treated it as NC-17, though nobody bothered to come see it much during its run anyways so it didn't really matter.

-Aaron

Rob Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 05:42 AM      Profile for Rob Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, I always looked at "Unrated" and "Not Rated" as two completely seperate things, although I guess technically they are not. Usually it seems as though when a movie is "Not Rated," It was never submitted for a rating AT ALL to the MPAA, CARA, etc. Whereas "Unrated" is like the 'extreme' version of an r-rated (or sometimes pg-13) rated film, like when there is an "unrated director's cut" released on DVD.
This movie is listed (on IMDB) as having both ratings, lol. [Cool]

I'd probably treat it as an NC-17 rating as well, since it is supposed to be pretty obscene. Then again, you could always watch the movie and then decide your policy based on your own opinion.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-24-2005 08:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For "unrated"/"not rated" films, one really should watch the film in question to determine the policy.

"Thirty-two Short Films About Glenn Gould" is my favorite example of an unrated/not rated film with essentially zero offensive content (save for a veiled drug reference).

"Aristocrats" is pretty rough, though, and I'd probably go with "no one under 17 admitted" if I were a theatre owner. I don't think that kids would really enjoy it, anyway.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 10:16 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure we're going to run it as a "hard R", as in we'll be carding anyone who doesn't look 17 or older.

EDIT: Make that NC-17... no one under 18

[ 10-24-2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Dan Chilton ]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-24-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"No one under 18 admitted". There's no way I'd allow anyone younger than that if it were my theater. [Eek!]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark in Minneapolis treated Aristocrats as no one under 18. FWIW

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see this documentary. But the only way it's probably going to play in Lawton is when it arrives on some DVD shelves. I know well enough to not try looking for it at Wal-Mart! Maybe Hastings Books and Video might carry it for rent. Maybe.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you would get complaints from customers if you did not warn about content (be that treating it as NC-17 or R or ... however your theatre chooses to inform customers ... ultimately you know your patrons better than any of us do). But, like Aaron said, I don't think this will be much of a problem movie of the "rowdy" / "trying to sneak in" variety.

I have seen the film, but didn't find it as "the most obscene film ever!!!" as it's being portrayed (I did quite enjoy it though) but I'm sure some people will. In my opinion, as long as they've been properly informed, people that would find it offensive [likely / hopefully???] will not see it, there are no surprises or secrets about what in the film is going to be offensive. All of the 'questionable' content is strictly verbal, nothing graphic at all.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-24-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Bobby, here is the clip of the South Park Cartman version of The Aristocrats (one of the many versions shown in the film):

Audio definitely NSFW:

http://www.cartmanthearistocrat.com/

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do personal introductions before each of our films, so I think I'm going to go out and say, "If you're offended by hearing any of the following words repeated hundreds and hundreds of times, then you might want to leave." Then I'll pull a piece of paper out of my pocket and begin reciting the list of vulgarities in a monotone, matter of fact voice. We'll see what kind of reaction that will get! [thumbsup]

Ron L. Funderburg
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2005 11:39 AM      Profile for Ron L. Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron L. Funderburg       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the older films are classified as "not rated" those before the rating system was in place. The cable system we have treats "not rated" and "unrated" as blocked films and you have dial in your code. Recently "Captain Blood" was "not rated" as was "Casablanca" and I had to dial in my mandatory code set up by the cable company; however, "House of 1000 Corpses" somehow was available to my granddaughter channel surfing as a 2 year old will often do! Now that is some kind of system!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-26-2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn.

Apparently, Cartman the Aristocrat is "on vacation." I watched it, but I decided wanted to save a copy of it. Now I can't. Boo hoo.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK it's officially rated "18" meaning that no-one under 18 can be admitted to watch it.

Not that any theatres are showing it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: