Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Why are commercials so damned boring? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why are commercials so damned boring?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-09-2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest Coke commercial that we're running is some sort of short story about a couple of college dorks on a road trip across America. Fascinating stuff. But if that's not enough, it's a sequel to a previous Coke commercial about the same bunch on the same road trip. Before that, we had an ad about a bunch of people who gathered together on a roof top in the city to sing about Coke. Someone point me to the nearest Coke machine! I can't wait to spend all of my money on Coke products!

About the best Coke commercial ever was the one that featured the "Mafia Movie Madness" student film. ("You got ID, Grandma? How do I know that ain't a wig?") Of course that ad got all the "Italian Rights" groups in an uproad for stereo-typing Italians as mobsters even though everyone I know of Italian heritage laughed their asses off when they watched it.

I'm not trying to pick on Coke for any particular reason, you can insert just about any corporate entity. Occasionally we have good entertaining commercials. Geico, for example, gets lucky sometimes. I think the Geico commercial with that exercise guy is funny as hell. Turner Classic Movies had some good ones too: "Dirty Dozen On Ice" and "Rocky" were both great. But for the most part, where's the creativity? Where is the comedy? Where are the "Mafia Movie Madness" ideas? Where are the "Budweiser Frogs", the Clara "Where's The Beef" Pellers, the "California Rasins" (remember them??), etc? Why do we all have to wait for one day out of the year (Super Bowl Sunday) for good entertaining funny commercials? Maybe if commercials (in particular, the ones that play in movie theaters) were better (read funnier) and not so damn repetitious and boring, or in the case of the latest batch of Coke commercials, stupid and pointless, people wouldn't mind them as much.

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 02:35 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Mafia Coke commerical. Very funny.

The roof top Coke was cool because it was an updated version of a similar commerical from the 70s with people of various backgrounds getting together to sing and have a coke.

Does AMC still run movieticket.com ads with those 3 college frat guys? I remember one where they are hovered around a computer and one guy goes "there's no R in tickets"

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 03:52 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree that the Coke commercials are lame. I actually had a discussion with my Coke rep. about how iritating they were. We both agreed that Pepsi was much more creative with their ads.

I don't know about anyone else, but the whenever I see the Burger King commercials featuring the King they crack me up.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-10-2005 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Amanda Jones
The roof top Coke was cool
In my opinion, the cool thing to do would have been to find a creative way to poke fun at the 70s commercial. Not try to modernize it as a crappy music video shot with the ubiquitous seizure-cam. That just tells me they have no new ideas.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-10-2005 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't run commercials but a neighboring theatre circuited a print to us a few weeks ago and they forgot to strip their commercials from reel 1, so I ran them for myself just to see what they were like. I can understand why the public gets bored/mad about them. Talk about a waste of 2 minutes. I don't even remember what they were now, that's how wonderful of an impression they left on me.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the fact those were still on the print shows that the revenue from them does NOT go towards paying competent people! [Wink]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-10-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ads that are "just unappealing" on the small screen are "beyond obnoxious" on the large sceen. That is the reason TV shows are next to impossible to translate to the large screen unless some new element can be discovered. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-10-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the fact those were still on the print shows that the revenue from them does NOT go towards paying competent people!
Well, accidents DO happen. We've been getting prints from them for 15 years and this was the first time it happpened.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite Coke ads have to be Football Town USA for no real reason other than it's just kind of cool.
And of course, Movie Theater Hero. That was cool.

Runners up in the rolling stock category include the Tiger Woods/Caddy Shack spoof and of course the original trailer for Axe. The tribal women one. I laughed at that one pretty good.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greed = Stupidity

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
American TV commercials have come to phase out the punchline from commercials recently. And slowly they've started to remove the whole entertaining aspect of sitting captive to a corporation for thirty seconds.

Instead of bitching about my most hated commercials (which are all probably just restricted to the bowels of Minneapolis/St. Paul TV production's rash of annoying sing-along songs), I believe the Sierra Mist Commercials are very premium [thumbsup]

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i remember the very first movietickets.com ad. with the family on their little mission and the kid gets left behind. mom is yelling LEAVE HIM! and, sure enough, on the follow up ad the kid isnt there anymore. thats some hardcore movie ticket reconnaissance for ya.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about that one! You're right, that was great.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Coke ads are that bad. If you were in business over 100 years you might try something different, too. It's better than that horrible Duracell family a few years back, or Terry Bradshaw doing spots for Supercuts. Now if all ads could be as good as the Miller High Life ones...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was so glad when the 'rooftop' Coke commercials ended in our theatres. I cant stand rap, and I dont like what they did to that old tune either.

That 'documentary' commercial is getting old too. Why do they have to cut and edit everything so fast? You cant even get a chance to get a good look at the image on the screen before it jumps to something else.

BTW: The rooftop commercial is still playing in the lobby. Ugh.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: