Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How to deal with this stafff issue? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: How to deal with this stafff issue?
Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an employee locker room for our staff to store their things while they are at work. This is also where time clock is. The rules of the locker room are simple A) this room is not to be used as a changing room B) no leaving things in the locker overnight C) must provide own lock D)no eating or drinking in the locker room.

Well the only rule they don't seem to follow is rule D. We've warned them before numerous times about no eating or drinking in there. But last night one my employees informed me there was ants crawling on the wall next to the time clock. I went down to the locker room and sure enough ants were everywhere. I then proceeded to open every single locker and 13 of them had garbage in them. One was very filthy and had half a bag of reese peieces, some popcorn, napkins, and season salt spilt everywhere. Another taco bell sauce. about another 10 lockers had caked on coke syrup, and the room stunk?

How would you deal with this? Move the time clock and not allow them to use the room? Check the room every night and if it is dirty write up every single staff member who worked that day?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem seems to be people storing food in the lockers (although they may also be eating in the room as well).

If you have enough lockers allocate each member of staff their own personal locker on the condition that no opened/perishable food is stored in the locker.

If you make it a condition of the locker usage that you have the right to search the lockers at any point (with the member of staff in question present) and disapline the staff member if their locker has inappropriate contents. Sanctions could include the removal of locker or other privaleges.

Do you provide a staff room where people can eat/store food. If a fridge is provided somebody will need to go through the contents regularly to remove expired/badly packaged food.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we do not have enough lockers for everyone to have their own. We have about 45 lockers and over 60 staff.

So that is where the problem lies. Is it right to punish everyone because we can't pin point who is doing it?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 12:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about if you have a 1-time "cleanup party", accompanied by an announcement to the entire staff that there is to be no food or drink in there, period. Put up a sign to that effect, including "If this policy is abused, locker privileges will be revoked from everyone". Something like that.

Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you assign a place for your staff to eat? If they have no where to go on their break then your problem won't stop.

For our break room we assign one person per shift to make sure it's clean. This includes taking out the garbage every day, sweep, mop, organize and everything else necessary to keep the room in order. If at the end of the day the room is still a mess you have only one person to blame.

Start rotating the person in charge of cleaning that room and people will start to clean up after themselves once they all see how miserable cleaning it can be.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 01:07 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no there is not an assigned area to eat. They are allowed to sit in a movie if they choose but if they want to eat they must sit in the lobby or eat in the receiving area.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather have employees eating in the locker room than sitting around in the lobby.

Have a BIG cleanup party -- then assign a rotating employee to check the room every day and make sure it stays clean. It's a lot easier to keep a place clean.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cut all the locks off.
Clean out all the lockers.
Put the contents in a big cardboard box. Allow the owners of the items to claim them.
Move the time clock out into the hallway.
Lock the break room door.
Let the kiddies whine about it for a week or so.

When you're damn good and ready, have a cleanout party. Scrub the room from floor to ceiling. If you can afford it give the room a fresh coat of paint. If you can't afford it, figure something out so that you can call it the "New Break Room". (Put in some chairs or something.)

Upon reopening the "New Break Room", do so with the provision that, if it's not kept clean by your standards, you WILL lock the break room again... This time PERMANENTLY!!

If anybody claims that you are over reacting to the situation, simply tell them that you have to call in the exterminator to get rid of the ants and vermin.

(Your company DOES have an exterminator, doesn't it?!)

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah we have an exterminator but calling him in will have to be approved by our area manager, which I doubt he will.

Our lobby is massive so we don't mind them eating in the lobby on the benches. Heck I don't even mind them eating in the locker room, but they NEVER clean up after themselves.

I'm going to dicuss the situation with my complex manager before taking any drastic steps. She's been wanting to move the time clock but she was told she couldn't by our tech guys.

I'm thinking if we can't move the time clock, then locking all the lockers as punishment and not allowing them to be used for a few weeks. Or like I said checking the locker room each night and if it is dirty write up everyone who worked that day. If I do that, those who don't abuse the locker room will make sure that those who do start cleaning up.

I did this once when we had a few employees abusing the free pass policy. The minute I threatened to take away everyone's passes for 2 weeks by golly did the abuse stop.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-05-2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Cut all the locks off.
I agree with everything else you said, except for this part. If I was an employee of yours, especially one that didnt cause the problem, and you go destroying my property, you can believe that something of yours will be destroyed as well. This of course is me speaking from a teenagers point of view. I'm not a teenager, but if my boss were to destroy my property now, and it wasnt my fault, then I would be left with no choice than to deal with it otherwise. If its a major company, his/her superiors would definitely hear about it, causing them more stress than they have time for. I know it might seem like a small issue, its only a lock right? Well if its a small issue, simply ask me to remove the lock.

quote: Amanda Jones
I did this once when we had a few employees abusing the free pass policy. The minute I threatened to take away everyone's passes for 2 weeks by golly did the abuse stop.

That seems like the best idea in this situation. Also a table and a few chairs and a trash can in the locker room wont hurt either. I realize you dont mind having the employees eat in the lobby, but it just doesnt look good to customers. It actually might hurt the theater. "Look at that pizza they're eating! It looks good!! We should get some after the movie, it'll be cheaper than eating here!" See, not a good idea.. [Wink]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone else.
Don't let them eat in the lobby.
The last place I worked didn't even want us eating in the auditoriums (auditoria?).

Your locker room sounds a lot like the break room we had, only the moved the time clock out of there and downstaris to the lobby because people were taking too much time to get from tho time clock to their jobs.

We had tables and chairs, but there were too many problems with people leaving things in their lockers for waaay too long, so what they did is sent out a memo with our checks saying that on such and such date we would no longer be allowed to leave anything in the lockers overnight.
You could lock you things up during your shift, but they reserved the right to cut off any lock that was still there at the end of the night.
That way you don't have to have permission to cut it off because you already have a policy in place.
There wasn't much you could do to make people clean up after themselves (other than locking it up or designating certain people to clean it at certain times), but our janitorial staff cleaned it up every night.

I wouldn't write up everyone that worked that day.
You don't want to punish the innocent if you can help it.

Of course we only spelled staff with 2 f's so things may be a little different for you. [Razz]

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James R. Hammonds, Jr
You could lock you things up during your shift, but they reserved the right to cut off any lock that was still there at the end of the night.

That is the policy since we don't have enough lockers to go around. Truth be told there is no room for table and chairs in there. Its a small room.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-05-2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks that this issue is petty? If the employees are otherwise doing their jobs and providing good customer service, I'd think that the state of the employee break room would be of little concern. (Obviously, someone needs to be assigned to clean it at this point.)

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But this is not the first time this has happened and it is starting to attract bugs. I'm the only manager who feels this way but I think our employees think they are above us and just showing up for work should be thanks enough to us managers.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is beginning to sound like a lot of whining. Amanda are
you the boss or not? Since when does the employee have control
over the boss? If your company doesn't give a damn about their
property, maybe the Health Department will. I have seen theaters shut down for infractions you describe. Ants, roaches,
rats, vermin of all sorts (and they will appear) have no place
where the public gathers. EVERY state has health laws, and, it
may be a good idea to comply. [eyes] [eyes] [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: