Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » A piracy poster I hadn't seen before

Author Topic: A piracy poster I hadn't seen before
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I'd had a camera handy on Tueday.

I went to a service call at a place I hadn't been before, and they have a poster up from FACT or whoever.

Which is worded "90% of all pre release videos are filmed with a camcorder in a cinema"

Erm, am I alone in spotting a fundamental flaw with this? If a feature isn't on release yet, how can it be camcordered in a cinema?!

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-22-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably mean "pre-release" relative to the video release date, not the theatrical release.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Camcordering a movie in a movie theatre is like recording a song over your cell phone in a car.

It's like taking a bath with your socks on,

It's like being able to watch but not touch,

It's like looking in the window at the pastry shop,

I say, go ahead and let people camcorder in the movie theatre, they deserve what they get.

Insert your analogies below.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
Insert your analogies below.
Ummmm . . . Trying to suck your wife's tits thru her nightgown?

How's that one?

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2005 09:44 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Point 1: Most of the people who buy streetcorner DVDs wouldn't care how bad they are (by and large) because:
A) While watching, they're too busy talking and going to the refrigerator and whatnot (the same reason you could spread vaseline on your projector lens and half the people in the auditorium wouldn't care)
B) Does anybody remember the early days of VCRs when a 10th-generation dub of STAR WARS was a treasure?

Point 2: "Just in case you didn't know how these things are done, here's how. Now that we've alerted you, YOU wouldn't bring in a camcorder, would you?"

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-23-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like kissing your sister.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 09-23-2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of like Plato's watching hand shadows on a cave wall lit by fire....

As far as the market for these poor imitations of the real thing go, I remember when Betamax first happened and there were only a few titles available, people went nuts trying to get any copy of anything that wasn't released. They didn't care about the quality, they just cared about being first and being able to one-ups other collectors. I believe that being the first kid on your block (be it Shanghai or New York) to have a DVD title still carries the same attraction to a small portion of the market as it always has, quality be damned. And as we know, the best copies don't come from movie theatres or projectionists, but from copies passed around by studio execs and within studios, often before the film is even in release.

Of course, many here know that DVD's are still only a poor imitation of the real thing anyway....

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 02:06 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give credit to some of the assholes that cam films in the sense that they do it from the booth and dub the audio from the processor but they're still awful quality since it's of course not a professional telecine.
Blaming theaters for it is rediculous since the big ones are always leaked from some inside source.

But for funs sake...Watching a bootleg film is like:
Driving a Porsche with a geo metro engine in it

Playing a guitar with really old strings

Shaving without a blade

Playing video games in a blackout

Oh, this one's perfect...
Like watching a low-quality, inferior presentation, on a smaller screen, with shittier sound...Oh wait...

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 10:00 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Driving a Porsche with a geo metro engine in it
Mmm... 55hp of pure driving excitement.
1.0L 3-bangers for the win! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: