Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Movie Tunes competition?

Author Topic: Movie Tunes competition?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What music providers are there out there that are in competion with Movie Tunes?

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all digital preshow 20wenty AMC network crap.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-19-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something called Movie Radio or something like that, I can't remember exactly. The non-2wenty Regal here was using it. I'm not sure if they still do since their non-sync sound hasn't been working the last few visits.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
David’

“Simon Bates” and classic FM at the MOVES every Saturday from 5pm to 7pm, you can hear the show via clicking on hear and waiting tell the show starts on Saturday.
Just look where it says “On air now” this Saturday and relax with the movies…… [beer]

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=35&sw=1024

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2005 04:14 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i gritted my teeth the other week and went to a ua that poses as an arthouse. before the ~20 minute video ordeal they played the most horrid canned music program ever. it was worse than movietunes: something i would not have imagined possible. a dj would announce a song, then the song would play for half a minute, but then it would fade down and the dj would come on again and say something else retarded, after which the song would fade up again for a few seconds and then fade out. same routine for every song.

why not just play the whole song? don't get me wrong, the songs were godawful. but they're marginally easier to tune out than an obnoxious dj.

maybe this is the "movie radio" david mentions? it seems to me it shares movietunes's mission of numbing the souls of our cinema-going populace. i suppose they are in "competition" over who will do it the fastest.

carl

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-20-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl, That sounds like Movie Radio or whatever it's called. They almost never play an entire song. You get a minute, maybe 90 seconds, then it fades out and the DJ starts talking again. It's clearly meant to be a song sampler to generate sales of songs or CDs. I guess they have no idea how annoying it is to the audience when they do actually play something good, then cut it off way before it's finished.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre Radio Network

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 09-20-2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that's what we have, too. "Widescreen Radio" it's called. It plays through non-sync until the 2wenty kicks in, 27 minutes before showtime. We've got the "best" of both worlds!

I don't pay attention to it, since in the IMAX auditorium we display nothing but a spotlight logo, and play Beethoven sonatas over the non-sync. Simple, tasteful, and in no way subject to advertising dollars.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-20-2005 06:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Widescreen Radio". I knew it was something like that. [Wink]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 09-21-2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be confused with "AM Projection", which uses short wave lenses. [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-21-2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd gladly pay IMAX prices to see a movie in 35mm if it meant I didn't have to listen to inappropriate music announced by a DJ and didn't have to sit through annoying slides and/or commercials.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: