Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Any Film-Handler's in the Greensboro, NC area?

Author Topic: Any Film-Handler's in the Greensboro, NC area?
Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently relocated to the Greensboro, NC area. I would love to meet, and possibly tour the booth, of any film-tech members in the Greensboro area. Please e-mail me directly at the email address I am not permitted to post here, but can be found on my profile

[ 09-15-2005, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan,

Way back when... in '88/'89, I worked for a gentleman who was head of the Local IATSE in G'Boro. He was also over the stagehands at the coliseum, which is where I worked with him. My step mothers sister was over payroll of the local, so I had an inside... [Smile]

Man, 16 years old making $15-$20/hour for stage work.. I wish, at times, I'd never have quit that job! I remember the riggers were making like $30/hour back in '89!. Of course, it wasn't always steady work, but it was great money!

At any rate, I don't actaully KNOW anyone in Greensboro, save my aunt/uncle, but there was a fella named Heywood Garner (I believe) who did work for Carmike in High Point at one time. Haven't seen him post in a long while, not sure if he's still around or not. I met him at the theatre I managed several years ago..

Anyway, good luck and hope you like Greensboro.. What brought you there in the first place, if I might ask?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-14-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...wonder if you should remove your email address in this forum since it's mentioned in your profile (for security's sake) and just make mention of contact to click on the small "who" in your post. Spammers love to grab open email addresses.

...for a moderator may edit your post and remove it for you since security is a high issue in these forums.

But glad you're trying to find fellow F-T'ers in this area.

Good luck - Monte

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Thanks for editing my message. I should have known better than to post my e-mail for the "world" to see.

Jason - I appreciate the information. I've only been down here 3 months, so I'm still learning the area. There seem to be quite a few theatres (Consolidated, Carmike, etc.) in the Greensboro/High Point areas, less so in Winston-Salem.

I had a friend who was a stage-hand when I lived in CT. He made very good money working the local scene and the occasional Broadway show, although the work is very physically demanding and also sporadic at times.

What brought me to Greensboro, NC? Well, the southern hospitality, of course! [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-15-2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, crap. I was hoping to catch you in Milford someday. I drive a big rig through there several times a week! I fuel at the exit 40 Pilot all the time.

But, since you're in Greensboro, might as well try to look up Frank Worthington. He's there somewhere... inventor of the Eprad DBL-MUT.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 10:08 AM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Yes, I was the head projectionist at the Milford (CT) Quad from '99-'01. It was a great place to work. It was a union booth, a staff of 6 projectionists (3 F/T & 3 P/T), and a great technician, Dave Berti!

Unfortunately, the theatre was closed in 2004 as part of the mall's renovation project. Although our sister theatre, Showcase Cinemas Orange (CT), is still operational with a full union booth.

So how would I go about contacting Frank Worthington? Is he associated with a theatre or service company down here? E-mail me privately if you feel that's appropriate. Thanks!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-16-2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured you were probably associated with that Showcase in some fashion. I also see where someone is building down the street, across from Schick.

It's been about 16 years since I saw Frank (when I installed that Cinemark 10 in Greensboro - and Hurricane Hugo came through), so I'm not sure how to get in touch with him. In another topic, however, Steve Guttag said he had a number...
quote: Steve Guttag
Frank's company is Cinetech....kinda sez it all.

You send me an email address, I'll send you a phone number (the last I had, at least).

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I sent you a private message. Thank you for the information. There must be some Film-Tech members in the Triad.

BTW - Thanks for being a truck driver. It's a hard job and like I always say "If you bought it, a truck brought it" AMEN [thumbsup]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 08:26 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also,
Shavers Sound is located in Kannapolis, whihc isn't *too* far from you... Dennis is a cool fella..

He's forgotten more than I'll ever learn....

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to go further than Kannapolis, I am just a few hundred miles from you in Asheville.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do intend to visit both Asheville and Myrtle Beach at some point, so I'll give you guys a heads up. We can trade projection stories, always fun! [Smile] Thanks for the hospitality.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-17-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bryan Fournier
BTW - Thanks for being a truck driver. It's a hard job and like I always say "If you bought it, a truck brought it"
That's very kind of you to say, Bryan. I appreciate it! [Smile]

Bruce, I was going to mention you, but I wasn't sure how far was too far. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: