Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pneumatic Tube Systems

Author Topic: Pneumatic Tube Systems
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you use a pneumatic tube system to drop large bills and skim tills to prevent transporting money through the lobby?

Do these work well? Do any of the pipes run under the building instead of up and through the rafters?

|  IP: Logged

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 03:06 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I saw a pipe extending out of the floor of a new 8-screen theatre that's in its intital stages of construction in a suburb of Tulsa, OK. The pneumatic tube idea popped into my head, and I asked the owner if that was what it was for. But he said no, it was just a floor drain.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
these tube systems are good to have when you have a separate box office and/or satalite concession stands. takes the worry out of the cash pulls when the alternative is walking across a huge lobby filled with hundreds of people. tube systems are a pretty customized job depending on the building and is best laid while the building is being constructed, rather than after. i have seen systems in which the tubes run in the ceiling as well as in the floor.

the most common breakdown they have is when a fan motor gets burned out. its not an overy difficult job to replace them however.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-11-2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Air Link International pneumatic tube systems

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-11-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark 17 in Springfield OR has them, probably because the box offices are quite a distance from the regular office area. I don't recall seeing them using the tubes recently, but they definitely used it when the place first opened in 1999.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Comco Systems

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 02:31 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we use an Airlink Point to Point system to connect Concessions and Box Office to our vault/clean room.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 02:38 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at a UA that had air tubes going from both concession and box office to the manager's office upstairs. You could send drops up them to the manager's office to avoid walking around the lobby with money in your hands. Really nifty.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-15-2005 09:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought these would be ideal for drive-ins, since the boxoffice is usually several hundred feet away, but I couldn't find one big enough to ride in.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-15-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could buy the flush one they had in MIB II.

Then again, you could do like one drive-in owner I know that drives his truck between the concession stand and box office every night.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2005 06:07 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airlink sucks.

The product is all right(probably only 4-5 calls a year so far, but this is a new building), but the customer service is horrible. Just hope you never need a replacement part, because there is always a chance that they'll send the wrong one three times over the span of a month and a half before getting it right. And getting someone to install will probably another half a decade. Don't worry though, you can always speak to a service manager, as long as you are fine with speaking into an answering machine several times to get a call back.

If you can find an alternative to airlink, use it. It can't get much worse than what I've seen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: