Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cold Cup Sizes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cold Cup Sizes
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

Again, I've searched the archieves and found nothing.

I know most chains sell soda in cups of 21oz, 32oz, and 44oz. Any chance that there's a next size up, like 52oz. or 60oz.?

Does Pepsi or Coke sell thier generic cups to indies, and what selection do they offer?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Maybe problems with paper cups getting that big is the volume of the water against the weight of the paper. Remember, water weighs 8lbs per gallon, and sugar water has an increased density. With pushing the envelope so to say, a 60 oz cup is 4 ounces from being a half-gallon. That's one pretty heavy cup of soda that the paper, or even styrofoam walls of that cup will have to hold...let alone the customer having to juggle such a monster without that cup exploding when sitting it down.

44 0z cups is pushing the limit on how the paper can hold that much weight and volume.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We buy our cups from Pepsi. We carry 12, 16, 22, 32 and 44 oz. sizes. They are all paper cups except the 12, which is plastic. We never have any problem with the cups.

I've priced cups from our concession (candy) warehouse, but the Pepsi cups are cheaper. The only thing that bugs me is, they often arrive with advertising on the side, sometimes for events that conflict with the theatre, but I don't care because nobody can see the ads in the dark anyway. The price difference is worth the minor irritation. (Gee, too bad the people who hate onscreen ads can't adopt that attitude.)

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell 21, 32, 44.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I've priced cups from our concession (candy) warehouse, but the Pepsi cups are cheaper.
Assuming you are using Pepsi at your theatre, aren't you under contract to use Pepsi cups? Years ago when we had Coke, we used our local concession supplier to purchase genaric cups. But once we switched to Pepsi, it was required that we use their paper products . . . or so I was told.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't know about that. We've always used Pepsi cups and since I compared the prices and found Pepsi's to be less, I've never had to raise the issue. I know we can't sell non-Pepsi items from our machine though, since they own the machine.

Heath Dutton
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Heath Dutton   Email Heath Dutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point about the paper cups. Another issue would be the length of time they would hold the drink. Many theaters provide free refills on the larger cups, meaning if they were made of paper, they could be used for well over 2 hours. Most paper cups will begin to seep after an hour and a half if it's too big.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions...

Maybe theatres could use the plastic cups, similar to the Big Gulp ones?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell 16, 24, and 32. We also have a 12 oz for the kids combo/courtesy cup.

We buy cups from Coke. They are the cheapest I have been able to find, but lately the service around here has been awful. I haven't get the 24's for three weeks. Earlier this summer I had trouble with the 16 oz lid. Has anyone else had problems getting stock from Coke?

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back in maine, we sold a 64oz coke that came in a plastic mug with a handle. It didn't fit in the cup holders, but the handle was shaped like a gun handle, and was a perfect hook to hang on the cup holder. The mugs were coke branded and were purchased through our regular soda supplier.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 10:14 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
A modest proposal (just for something to do, y'know?)

Hot summer evening...

gangsta or skateboarder movie...

too few staff (send some of 'em home, like in another thread)...

sale on those big-ass cups ("we sold a 64oz coke...handle was shaped like a gun handle")...

and regardless of what they ask for, pour 'em Red Bull Energy Drink.

Sit back & watch the fun.

----------------

Sorry, my mind got carried away there.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 10:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell 16, 24 and 32 oz.

We had plastic 32s, but the customers assumed that meant we had free refills. If YOU do, that might be a reason to carry plastic.

If I went to 46 or 64 oz, I'd probably have to add 15 more stalls and another septic tank out here... and the one I have now holds 14,000 gallons!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-10-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got 24, 32, and 44 (all wax paper) Coke cups at our biggest drive-in. The 32 is the most popular followed by the 44.

Coke wanted to do their iCoke promotion with us on the 24 ounce cups, which was stupid with it being the smallest size we sell (except for a 16 with a kids combo). I don't think we sold too many of the iCoke combos (24 oz Coke and a hot dog or something like that).

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 01:02 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently Carrying 16, 32, and 44. Yeah big jump from small to medium, but makes it easy on upselling.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We carry 16, 32, and 44. But Vistar recently stopped carrying my favorite, the "stout" 32 oz. cups, in favor of the taller ones. The stout cups are my favorite because most distributors make lids that will do double duty on those 32 and the 44 oz. varieties.

I think plastic cups, or buckets as it were, are great for the larger, half-gallon sized drinks. Check out KFC, they've got paper and plastic, plus the huge new size.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: