Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » One-screen dilemma: Flightplan or Corpse Bride? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: One-screen dilemma: Flightplan or Corpse Bride?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-06-2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if you only had one screen, which of these two movies would you take on the break? Any insights or opinions would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward Flightplan but am flexible. I'm considering saving Corpse for Halloween weekend.

I'm also wrestling with a decision on King Kong vs. Chronicles of Narnia. Kong comes out one week after Narnia, so we can only play one on the break.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with Flightplan. Both movies look like $50 million total grossers to me.

King Kong over Chronicles, though very close ... King Kong is tracking to do approx. $170 million, Chronicles about $160. Plus, Chronicles will have better legs. You can pick it up for a week after the Kong run.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats an interesting question Mike.

First what is your average customer base, is it more family oriented or is it all over the map? Do they prefer cartoon/clay mation, or thriller/action movies? Just a few questions to kinda get the ball rolling here.

Something you could do, not sure how viable and smart this is but give the customers the choice, put up a ballet box and let them vote. That would be something diffrent and let your customers get the chance to voice there opinion.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 07:30 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tough call here, Mike. Maybe you should go with the studio that gives you the best terms.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that Flightplan has a slight edge of Corpse. Corpse probably a bit too "weird" for my small town audience.

I think Kong is going to be be HUGE and I think Narnia will be big, but not Kong sized.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-06-2005 08:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say Flightplan except for the fact that I'd rather share my money with Warner Bros and not BVP.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flightplan if you have a family or older audience; Corpsebride if you have tennagers and college kids as the main part of the audience.

I am sure no one here will agree with me but I am really leary of King Kong. Sure it will open huge for one week but I still can't shake the feeling this belongs in the category of they should have left well enough alone ( e.g. Psycho). I also am old enough to remember the Dilaurentis version from 1976 and all the hype that went with it. Dilarentis said "When the monkey die, everybody gonna cry" They sure did -they were laughing so hard at the bad acting and dialogue.

I think Chronicles will surprise - going to start off slow but it will end up being one of the top grossers of the year. I believe it is the start of a new sort of LOTR franchise.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-06-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for your quick response and opinions.

We have a strong kid/teen audience, but I would have to say that our audience probably skews more to the family/older side. So that's another vote toward Flightplan.

Kurt's idea of a ballot box is interesting but I guess it's really a bit too late now to really get a good representative sample. Wish I'd thought of it a couple of months ago!

By the way, on a completely unrelated note -- today, September 6, is my theatre's 75th anniversary. It opened 9/6/1930 with a film called "The Bad One," starring Dolores Del Rio. [beer] Our actual "anniversary celebration" will be in November to coincide with the new Harry Potter flick.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the "Coming Soon" on our website ... www.spotlighttheatres.com

The customers vote for what movies they want to see.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Narnia" will do great at your little "palace", Mike - Monte

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-07-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
75 and still rollin'! Congratulations Mike! [thumbsup] [beer] [Martini]

Brian D. Nelson
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Brian D. Nelson   Email Brian D. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, 75 years is quite the milestone, congratulations Mike. We are coming up on our 77th in November and for the 75th we had a 'reunion' of sorts involving as many of the former employees as we could locate. I wish we knew what the first movie that was played when it opened but I think there was a vaudeville show for opening back in Nov of '28.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-07-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike S. -- that's a cool feature! (Movie voting, that is.)

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Mike. Where I work, the bosses have a saying that goes something like this....

Come for the slides, stay for the commercials!

You could book "Hoppity Goes To Town" and it wouldn't matter as long as you have pre-show ads followed by regular rolling stock ads, Disney be damned! Why drive yourself crazy trying to pick the right "horse" when all you need is all the advertising you can get! [uhoh]

(Okay, I'll shut up now.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-08-2005 01:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In defiance of the current conventional wisdom that dictates that you must have advertising to succeed, we don't do any advertising. (Thank God.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: