Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DVD helps theatres in some cases (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD helps theatres in some cases
Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transporter 2 opened at number one this weekend, a little over 20 Mil. The original only made 25 mil for its entire run. So this was a case of DVD, cable, pay-per-view, ect. helping the theatres by allowing folks to catch something they missed at the theatres.

I can think of a couple other examples of this. One is Adam Sandlers career. His first couple of movies (Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore) were so-so at the box office, but huge on video, which built up the fan base, which helped the theatres.

Another example is Austin Powers. The first Powers did around 55, the second over 200.

Of course, sequels will bomb when the original sucks.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are cases where a movie is more successful in its home video [dlp] release than it was theatrically, which then spawns more-better box office for the sequels. Austin Powers is a perfect example. There are others, although I can't think of any right at the moment.

Hey, just didn't want Matt to think his post was ignored! [Big Grin]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Office Space is another example of a movie doing more business on video than it did in its theatrical run. Mike Judge hasn't wanted to do a sequel for it though, and thankfully Fox hasn't assigned another writer/director to make one. (I'm not sure who owns the rights to the story, but if it's Judge, that would explain Fox not producing an almost assuredly profitable sequel).

I would assume that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back got a $20m budget & $30m theatrical gross in large part due to people being introduced to Kevin Smith (and hence those characters) thanks to video/DVD.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-11-2005 06:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, this kinda proves what Phil had mentioned in his one post in that topic that I opened up about the "DVD Marketplace" post - his comment on that movies being the "teaser" release to enhance the sales of DVD's.

-Monte

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mat, David and Monte

Do you guys really think DVD presents a threat to the cinema industry and your jobs as well, the strength DVD and cinema admissions this year have been on an all time low, with more and more folks buying DVD, and some with pucker home cinema set-ups that leave most cinemas flat on the face due to poor sound playback presentation, don’t take this wrong please I was a

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-14-2005 02:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post! [Confused]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some guys just realize it's time to stop rambling Mike. [Smile]

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Pixar's 'Cars' is going straight to DVD?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tommie Evans
I heard Pixar's 'Cars' is going straight to DVD?

I think that's highly unlikely. Where did you hear that?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard Cars was being delayed till a next summer release so they could move the date for Chicken Little to November to allow the time needed for the 3-D conversion process.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Cars was always a 2006 release.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cars was originaly a Spring 2006 release and if memory serves me right, its now in November of 06'.

I've kinda given up on trying to figure out what Andys trying to say half the time. [Wink] He goes in one direction then cuts back to another and then another then just stops [beer]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving 'Cars' puts Pixar in driver's seat

In a move that could better position Pixar Animation Studios in its upcoming negotiations with potential distribution partners, the Emeryville, Calif.-based studio said Tuesday that its upcoming film "Cars" will be postponed from its planned November release to a June 2006 bow. The announcement was made jointly with Pixar's current partner, Walt Disney Pictures. The date change immediately triggered a flurry of other moves as Disney's Buena Vista Distribution arm shifted its CG-animated feature "Chicken Little" from a summer slot to Nov. 4. Sony Pictures also chose to move its upcoming "Legend of Zorro" from a late September slot to a November date. Pixar and Disney explained that moving "Cars" to June 9, 2006, would allow them to take full advantage of the large summer moviegoing audience, followed by the lucrative holiday DVD market. Pixar CEO Steve Jobs has spoken previously of wanting to shift Pixar's release schedules to take advantage of the summer moviegoing/holiday DVD sales dynamic. (Nicole Sperling)
Hollywood Reporter

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 10:19 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh well, forget what I said then, I was just talking out of my ass! [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2005 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, but how does that put Pixar in the "driver's seat?"

It does, if Chicken Little flops. If CL is a hit, it doesn't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: