Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Walkie Talkies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Walkie Talkies
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of walkie talkies does everyone use in their theatres? We have Kenwood Business Band walkies that all managers and the doorman, ushers, and box office have. We also have a set of FRS radios (the cheap ones from Wal-Mart) that I brought from home since I don't use them anymore. These are designated "managers only" so that we can relay messages that we don't want the employees to hear. Although the employees could just go to Wal-Mart and buy one for $10 or less, most of them just don't care enough to do that.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 03:32 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What don't you want "the employees to hear"?

(are managers not employees?? [Confused] )

At my theatre we use one channel, staff members, supervisors, managers, projectionists, security guards - all hear the same.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it's best when the employees can't hear you.. like when you want to tell the other managers what a poor job they're doing.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive that the mainstays are Icom F3S and than Managers have Motorola CP 100. We have some much older Motorola Radios that used to be the mainstays, that we rarely use.

3 Channels are utilized one for Floor, one for Booth and one for Managers.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what about when the employees want to talk about how bad a job the managers are doing? [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Motorola CP200 UHF 16 channel

***Be sure and order "privacy programming" so your radios won't pick up any other nearby radios on the same frequencies! It's free, you just have to request it.

You will want to also upgrade the battery to a model Q651. That is a 1800mAh Li-ion battery with quick charger. It's only $21.50 extra and your batteries will last a LOT longer than when using the default batteries.

I have dealt with this company linked to above and they are reliable.

[ 09-03-2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 05:11 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
So, what about when the employees want to talk about how bad a job the managers are doing?
Most of the time, they have no room to talk..

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-03-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Grand-Poo-BAH, your walkie-talkie link doesn't work. You need to delete one of the *http://'s

Perhaps you should read the FAQ & Rules page on how to use the many great features of Film-Tech...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me think of another great password PhilizaC@@T!
[Big Grin]

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are using ICOM F-11S radios... Took a long time to get them, as my home office kept thinking FRS were ok...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 09:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ditched our walkie-talkies in favor of a phone connection between the box and booth. Its much better, but floor employees hardly ever call. Many of the young kids working here have never seen me and I like it that way.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I pitched a similar idea to a couple of theaters, but they didn't like it. Here's the pitch.

Go to a cellular store and sign up for a "family plan" where you can get half a dozen phones. Be sure and purchase the insurance for a few extra bucks a month. Make sure the plan (like they pretty much all do) has "unlimited mobile to mobile minutes". Then select the cheapest plan. You won't be needing any actual airtime minutes, as those calls would be made from the land lines.

Now program in "BOX OFFICE" and "MANAGER 1" and MANAGER 2" and "PROJECTION", etc into each phone's speed dial and just issue the phones instead of radios! Communication would be directed SPECIFICALLY to the person desired, vibrate feature for when inside auditoriums, and the communication would be private between those two people since other radios couldn't listen in.

The reason for the insurance is so if a phone broke you just get another free one through insurance.

Really, is it such a ridiculous idea? Given the average lifespan of a radio in a theater environment, I think the cell phone would probably be a cheaper and superior solution. Mark G will surely disagree though. [Razz]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there a way to keep the phone from being used for personal use?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 02:05 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just purchase phones with the "click-to-talk" feature.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would think the phone company could block all numbers except the few you wanted them to use. Worst case scenario if someone used them for personal calls the date, time, number dailed, and length of call would all be on the monthly bill. Simply having people sign a log sheet whenever they took a phone would pin the culprit pretty quickly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: