Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Carmike Closing Policies

Author Topic: Carmike Closing Policies
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 02:38 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone here has ever worked for Carmike and have their theatre sold to another company. What are Carmike's policies on selling the equipment to the new owners? Does Carmike keep the General Manager and transfer them elsewhere? Does Carmike leave the POS system? Does Carmike give the management and staff notice of the sale in advance? How about Assistants, are they hourly or salary, or does that depend on the location?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know the manager is given the opporutity to re-locate. Not sure on the assistant.

Carmike's POS system is propritary so it won't stay at a closed location. Depending upon the lease all equipment is likely to be stripped from the building, including seats.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too sure about corporate policy, but here's what happened when our local Carmike shut down last fall.

The building, located in a shopping center was stripped of all projection equipment, cash registers, POS, etc. and the equipment was all loaded onto a semi trailer parked behind the building. Everything else was bulldozed.

In many situations where things are permenantly attached to the floors or walls (i.e. seats & screens), they will remain behind as they are considered permenant fixtures of the building.

I have been into a recently closed down Regal location where "mysteriously" the screens and seats that had to remain with the building all ended up being slashed. All of the lobby neon somehow got broken too. It "was" a pretty nice theatre until they did that. That's been several years ago, and the building still sits empty.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-17-2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..did the same around here with Carmike pulling out - completely stripped out the building. And now the building is a clothing store. - Monte

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2005 01:44 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the Carmike will go as far as to pull wires out of the building. [Eek!]

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, check your email, I sent you something.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-18-2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen companies remove the seats, then sledgehammer the mounting studs so they couldn't be reused.

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear they bulldoze it then salt the earth so nothing else can grow.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
And now the building is a clothing store. - Monte

One thing is for sure... That clothing store is better run than the theatre that was there.....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They closed a twin in Billlings Montana when they built their Wynnsong 10 across the parking lot from it. The thing has sat there empty ever since 1997. Haven't heard whether they gutted it or not, but I'm surprised nothing else has gone in there since it's in a prime retail area.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 02:37 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hardest thing about re-leasing a dead theatre building is the sloped floors. Many shopping center developers built the theatre per specs provided by the original tenant. Once the original tenant moves out, and the latest trend in theatre design has moved to stadium style seating, there's not a lot you can do with it. Sure it may be in a prime retail location, but it's hard to sell a sloping floor to any prospective tenant.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess what I meant was, I'm surprised it hasn't either had its floors jackhammered out and flattened, OR been torn down and replaced. I mean it's right in the parking lot of the busiest mall in the state of Montana and it's amazing that the space isn't being used for something.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-20-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two former Carmike locations here in Lawton: The Video Triple and Showcase Twin.

The Video Triple opened in the early 1970s and closed in the late 1990s). It ran first run movies until the Carmike 8 opened in 1994, then went to bargain shows. When the place was closed all equipment was removed and the building was sold to Locke Supply, a hardware store.

The Showcase Twin opened in the 1960s and closed in the mid 1990s. I saw "The Empire Strikes Back" there in 1980. It stopped showing first run movies in the late 1980s. When the place closed the entire building was gutted and converted to a Blockbuster Video location.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: