Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stupid Showtimes (AKA You Suck: Outing bad showtime schedulers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Stupid Showtimes (AKA You Suck: Outing bad showtime schedulers)
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 02:54 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called the REG/UA Berkeley 7 on Tuesday to inquire about showtimes for Skeleton Key on Friday, since a group of us are going to see it and the showtimes weren't on Fandango yet. I was told 5:00, 7:40, 10:20. Sounds great, right.

Fandango (and other websites) now have showtimes for the weekend up and here's the 'new' schedule:

Deuce Bigalow 12:30pm |1:30pm |2:40pm |3:40pm |4:50pm |5:50pm |7:00pm |8:00pm |9:40pm |10:10pm
Ok, so showing on two screens, but with over an hour intermission between the 7 and the 9:40?

Four Brothers 2:30pm |5:00pm |7:45pm |10:20pm
Empty useless wasted auditorium until 2:30

Wedding Crashers 2:00pm |4:40pm |7:40pm |10:30pm
Ok.

Dukes Of Hazzard 2:10pm |3:15pm |5:45pm |7:30pm |8:15pm |10:45pm
Sharing one screen with Batman, but the other screen is empty and wasted until 3:15..

Batman 4:30pm |10:00pm
Sharing one screen with Dukes

and finally...
Skeleton Key 1:10pm |4:10pm |7:10pm |10:40pm
No mid evening show scheduled with almost an hour and forty minutes with the auditorium just sitting there empty and wasted from about 9pm until 10:40pm. Also, hello, people want to go to dinner first sometimes. They've effectively made their showtimes so unattractive to attend, and they're also wasting the whole auditorium during prime time with it just sitting there empty.

Who makes up these schedules? What a bunch of idiots. Crack kills.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

it is quite possible that they don't open up until say noon, which would make it hard to have an early showtime then say 2:30 for Four brothers as it is a 2 hour movie, unless they wanted to start it right at noon. Why do you say its ok for Wedding Crashers to start at 2 but its not ok for Four Brothers to start at 2:30? Just curious.
An example of another theater in the area that dosn't open until 12:20
Take a look at the Bad News Bears and Sky High, while they are before 2 still pretty darn close.

Once the winter starts it is common for some of our movies not to start till 2 something, the doors open at 12:30 and the first show starts at 1 or after. This is common practice around my area and with the company.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My issue isn't really with what time the theatre opens, if you'll go back and read my entire post.

But since you brought it up, the absurdity in the afternoon shows, as I mentioned above, is that

Example Aud #1
Deuce shows at 12:30 and 2:40

Example Aud #2
Dukes first show is not until 3:15. Why not have a 12:45 show also, since the theatre IS open?

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who really knows, every bodys diffrent. And from what I understand most of the big 3 or 4 showtimes are done by there home office. This is one place where Goodrich is great at, we do the showclock at theater level. A very nice thing.

As far as reading your entire post I did, several times just to make sure I wasn't going to make and ass out of myself. [Wink] Who really knows why there isn't a show scheduled in that time, only way your going to find out is to call and ask the manager. Because he/she is the only one that will know for sure.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 10:45 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

Yeah that 7:10 to 10:40 split for Skeleton Key is baffling. It's about a 105 minute movie so why not set the second one for 9:50 or even 10?

What I find incredibly irritating is theaters that schedule so much dead space in their afternoon shows, sometimes so much so that an entire showtime can be fit in the middle of it! Years ago, a cinema in Vancouver had a 88 minute movie with the following showtimes:

12:20-4:50-7:30-9:50

The 12:20 show ended around 2:00 and there was no sharing product, so there was TWO HOURS and FIFTY minutes inbetween shows! There could have easily been a 2:30 scheduled show. I think the reason being was that they had longer movies starting around noon or so, but still...

Another oddity I saw a few years back:

A mutliplex here in Victoria had 2 Fast 2 Furious scheduled at the following times:

12:30, 1:50, 3:45, 4:45, 7:00, 7:40, 9:50 and 10:30

No problemo, right? Here's how the screens were assigned when I got to the cinema (EDIT: I should mention here that I was seeing another film):

Screen #5 - 1:50, 4:45, 7:00 and 9:50
Screen #8 - 12:30, 3:45, 7:40 and 10:30

Rather odd that the first set of showtimes run into the second, and vice versa, and only about a 15 minute break between the 4:45 and 7:00 show and a TWO hour break for the other one! I double-checked this with the box office and it was confirmed as correct!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2005 11:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey - try this one out for size and see what you think on this one:

Opening 12:00 set for a six-plex are: 12:00, 12:05,12:10,12:20,12:25 and 12:30. = people in, people out. A mad rush to the snakbar (and they wonder why their percap is low...)

Using the same scheduling format for the 4:00 sets are: 4:25, 4:30, 4:35,4:40, 4:45, 4:50 and 4:55 <-which this one is the most "gay-assed" showtime to use. Why not go to 5:00???

Then the most "ballsy" one is for the 9:00pm set:

9:30, 9:35:,9:40,9:45,9:50 and the "gay-assed" one at 9:55pm. The six-plex doesn't believe in 10pm showtimes, so the 9:55 one pops up.

Like-a...Where's the time for snakbar sales to happen? "Hey people! your percap sucks with these crammed in showtimes!"

It's hell to start shows like this - being 5 minutes apart. You screw up one house, the others are going to be behind.

-Monte

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 12:02 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Last week the UA Stonestown shows "November" (73 minutes) at 1:30, 4:00, 7:15, 9:35. The 4:00 show, with previews, gets out at 5:30 and the aud sits empty for 1 hour and 45 minutes?

Both screen are always scheduled this way. What could the employees possibly be doing during the down time?

Mike

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-11-2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Croaro
What could the employees possibly be doing during the down time?

"....a seat cleaning/repairing party!" "...plenty of time for a good thorough machine maintenance party!"

(if they do these things....)

-Monte

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since none of us work at any of those theaters its a little absurd to start slamming them for their scheduling practices.

I know that personally at my theater if there is ever a gap between scheduled showtimes large enough for another movie to have played, its because their is another movie playing in that gap that is not scheduled (like a press/promo/private screening). Or if there is a larger than average gap between showtimes (say an hour or so) than the auditorium is being "reserved" for internal use, being it a hiring session or employee classroom training...or Theater maintainence.

And there are those fringe "econcomic" factors that I imagine get frequently overlooked by most of you.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2005 03:40 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Hanson
And there are those fringe "econcomic" factors that I imagine get frequently overlooked by most of you.
By that statement, I assume you mean situations where the draw for a particular show is so low that it'd actually cost the theatre more in electricity to play the show than to let the theatre sit dormant for 2 hours?

James Bjarnason
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2005 04:39 AM      Profile for James Bjarnason   Email James Bjarnason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is trying to fit in a screening of a 2.75 hour movie on a Mon, Wed or Thu at 7:00 when most of the shows you have are 1.5 to 2 hours. Now that's when you get the crazy showtimes.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2005 05:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Bjarnason
to fit in a screening of a 2.75 hour movie ...
That's when you start that long one in later - around 7:45 or 8:00p at the most. Forget about having a 9pm set with a long one.

Let the others have their regular times, for you know that you're only going to get 3 showing a day (with full matinee scheduling)on these long ones (e.g. - 1:00, 4:00 and 7:45, or 8:00).

Lotsa fun doing show schedules... - Monte

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2005 10:18 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For more fun with show scheduling ... read here ... Link

[ 08-13-2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a goofy schedule you posted on that Carmike 10 plex. Now, I've seen seven, 7pm show starts, but at a 21 plex - which is more viable..but at a 10 screen?

Talk about "cramming and jamming" there with the patrons..

..wonder how their percap was doing with these times...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike managers can change the mandatory showtimes after two weeks, they just need to run the changes by their district manager.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: