Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Duma

Author Topic: Duma
Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 08-09-2005 11:21 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carroll Ballard, director of THE BLACK STALLION, FLY AWAY HOME, and other similar nature films, has a new film titled DUMA. It had a test market engagement this past weekend in the Chicago area and got a 3.5 star review from Ebert. According to Yahoo! Movies it is playing in two Chicago theatres, the Loews Webster Place 11 and the AMC River East 21. Normally, finding out how it did this past weekend would be easy, but it appears WB has gotten Rentrak to block out the grosses. Any of you Chicago area Film-Techers know how the movie did. I'd love to play it but so far WB is mum about future plans. So, if you know anything, please share. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-10-2005 01:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be projecting this on the 17th at the Wine Country Film Festival.
-Aaron

[ 08-10-2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played it as part if a test in the San Antonio TX area back in April. It did fair for a week, but not being in San Antonio proper (30 miles north) we did not benifit from the advertising very much. I do know they switched the test market from Austin to S.A. about a month before the screenings.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-10-2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think with "Penguins" doing pretty much landslide business that a film like "Duma," which could be aimed at the same audience, would be a no-brainer to market to the same crowd. Jesus, they come from divisions of the same distributor. Don't these guys talk to each other?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-10-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard good things about "Duma", have seen it mentioned in a couple of places and they were raving about it. Warners should be falling all over themselves to put Duma trailers on Penguin but they probably can't make up their minds what to do with Duma. Penguins is proof there's a market for that kind of film. Maybe if we're lucky Duma will find its audience in spite of Warners.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 08-10-2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...there should be a Duma trailer attached to every print of Penguins but in a weird bit of cooperation our print of Penguins came with Focus' Pride and Prejudice attached and our print of Broken Flowers (a Focus release) is supposed to have Warner Independent's Everything Is Illuminated attached, according to the folks to Technicolor. I'm not sure if the later expansions of Penguins still had Pride & Prejudice attached, but given the picture was moved to the end of the year a couple of weeks ago, you'd think they'd wake up and realize what a golden opportunity the sucess of Penguins is. But apparently WIP and WB don't talk. A completely blown opportunity.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-10-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a Region 2 DVD is supposed to be released in the UK next month. And there's this Region 3 release in Hong Kong. Maybe the Chicago engagements are strictly to help promote DVDs and it's never gonna get a wider release.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Columbia House, DUMA will be available on DVD on 2005 August 16.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: