Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How many sub bass units does your cinema have.

Author Topic: How many sub bass units does your cinema have.
Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
How many sub bass units does your cinema have be it standard / THX or IMAX, also what is the lowest frequency range and the, SPL db (sound pressure level) of that range, when testing the units.

What are the name and the make of the sub bass unit?

What is the name of the amplifier driving those sub bass units?

Are these units wired in parallel or series, with a single amplifier or mutable amplification, and the power of the amplifier, and the acoustical power in the cinema.

And is the level on the Dolby CP processor is it played at 7 on the fader 0db.

Also when running a film what thrills does it give you, and do you do a rehearsal before public viewing.

Also what are the top ten best films to have usage of the L.F.E, be it 70mm Dolby stereo A /SR Dolby digital / DTS and SDDS.

[ 07-30-2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Andy Summers ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Summers
How many sub bass units does your cinema have be it standard / THX or IMAX, also what is the lowest frequency range and the, SPL db (sound pressure level) of that range, when testing the units.
Two. I have no idea. It sounds good to me though.

Are these units wired in parallel or series, with a single amplifier or mutable amplification, and the power of the amplifier, and the acoustical power in the cinema.
Parallel, I think. Single. 1600 watts. (Not enough, I know.) I'm not sure.

And is the level on the Dolby CP processor is it played at 7 on the fader 0db.
We have DTS and Ultra Stereo and we operate at 6 usually.

Also when running a film what trill does it give you, and when you have to do a rehearsal before public viewing.
Uh, assuming you mean "thrill," there's nothing like the feeling of punching the start button on a new movie for an audience for the first time.

Also what are the top ten best films to have usage of the L.F.E, be it 70mm Dolby stereo A /SR Dolby digital / DTS and SDDS.
I couldn't even begin to tell you. Anything with a lot of explosions or a big orchestra, or both.

[ 07-29-2005, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there

Mike, that’s a good start to this thread, it will no doubt get better as it goes along.

You said you where not sure on the SPL db level, have you ever used an SPL db level meter to check it out.

You said that there in Parallel connection with 1600watts.

You said that you play it usually at 6 on the fader, which will be around 6db less than reference 0db level.

You mentioned that your running DTS and Ultra stereo.

You like giving the Audience a trill for the money, that’s what it’s all about, Mike the trill.

You’re not sure which films in the top ten for best usage of the L.F.E Sub Bass track, oh well it may come to pass later.

Mike, thank you for taking the time to responded cheers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2005 04:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there.

6 on the fader is actually 3db down from reference level.

Hello there again.

Remember though, depending on acoustics, speakers and the way everything is set up and calibrated, 6 may be REALLY loud in that room.

Hello there yet again.

Few theaters actually put as many subs in as they need to.

Hello there.

I'd say more often than not they are under-quantity by half or more.

Hello there, hello there.

Even worse are how underpowered they are.

Hello there.

Don't mind me though, I'm just trying to catch up on how many times you have said "hello there" on these forums.

Hello there.

It's also fun to restrict each paragraph to only one sentence, because that's proper grammatical form.

Hello there and bye.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2005 05:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...betterthanrunningwordstogether....(LOL)
(sorry, have to pick on you with that one..)
-Monte

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget your trills ...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was going to ask about "mutable" amplification too.

(BTW I am starting to "save up" for an upgrade to our sound system. It sounds pretty good to me now, but I know there's room for improvement. Mark Gulbrandsen has some ideas we might be working on.)

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Having room for modifications is the perfect solution, have the sub bass go beyond the most rumbling motion picture soundtrack….

More the lower the response is, is it not.

What make of sub bass units are you using now, and what ones are you going for, for the newer approach.
[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: