Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 4th of July (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 4th of July
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-01-2005 07:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone (in the US, of course) planning to do anything special for the 4th of July weekend? Will anyone be showing the National Anthem or anything else before/after the feature?

I'm toying with the idea of running the "Spirit of America" short from a few years ago for the weekend, though I think that the National Anthem (which I have in 35mm) would be a bit over the top. Thoughts?

Edit: For those not in the US who are unaware of it, July 4 is a US tradition to celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence (which actually occurred on July 2) in 1776. It normally includes fireworks, musical performances of works written by American composers or with patriotic themes, and a day off from work for most.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be projecting "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (Jimmy Cagney) at the Fox Theater in Centralia, Wash.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The US Army Jazz Ambassadors will be playing 3 shows (30-45 min. sets.) at our main indoor venue.

The Drifters will be headlining at the outdoor stage. (Portable stage.)

Zambelli's will be topping it all off at nightfall.
They've already got the tubes set up. They'll load them Sunday night, weather permitting. They'll prime (hook up the electric fuses to) them Monday afternoon. If weather threatens, they'll cover the tubes with aluminum foil and plastic. They can fire them in virtually any weather except for lightning, fog or pouring down rain. Even if it's a little drizzly, it'll still be a go. Weather forecasts look good, though. No rain expected all day.

Of course, I'll be sitting on the roof with a bucket of water to make sure no embers land on the rubber membrane. [Big Grin]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We play the National Anthem every night before we light the screen at our drive-in. It is kind of cool to see people standing in respect all across the field while it plays.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-01-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing special going on here other than the typical fireworks displays all over town. I'll be on watch with the hose just in case the yard tries to go up in flames like it did last year. We just got a new roof put on so I think I won't have to worry about it quite so much this year.

And a happy Dominion... er, Canada Day to all our friends in the Great White North.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-01-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our little mountain town with a huge and popular firework show, we will strongly advertise that "Batman Begins" will be over a half hour before the fireworks start to eliminate any fears that anyone going to the movies would miss a single salute or explosion.

Dan Suomi
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Dan Suomi   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Suomi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be singing the National Anthem in the IMAX using the usher mic in the front of the auditorium. lol

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 03:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Zambelli's will be topping it all off at nightfall.
Being from New Castle, I've seen many Zambelli productions. When my mom worked as a travel agent back in the early 80's, she booked a lot of George Zambelli's personal trips to various venues his company had been contracted for. About six years ago, their main warehouse here in town exploded. Fortunately, all the workers had gone home for the night and nobody was killed, but the theatre (only one mile away) felt as if we had been depth-charged. The blast wave took out windows and rattled foundations some five to ten miles distant.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night we'll be doing our usual July 4th show. The organist will play the Star Spangled Banner while one of those old TV sign off films with a flag blowing in a 100 mph gale is on the screen with t he words, then there is "Take Me Out to The Ball Game", followed by "America Tghe Beautiful" and "God Bless America", all sing alongs with word slides with patriotic graphics. Always brings a good reaction.

As for me, Monday evening the wife and will be going to Ft. Lee, a newrby Armys base for their celebration complete with a large Army band, good cheap eats, lots of Military and patriotic souvenirs, and fireworks at 9.30. Probably the safest place too, as the place is crawling with MPs and base police.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-01-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having grown up mostly on Marine Corps bases and air stations, I was used to seeing the National Anthem played directly before every show.

July 2, I'm watching a big country music concert at the Polo Field aboard Fort Sill. Gary Allan is the headlining act. Should be a pretty good show, but still not as cool the FREE concert a decade ago when Martina McBride played the Polo Field on July 4, and performed her hit "Independence Day" when it was number one on the country music charts.

July 4: going to be exploding lots of Black Cats, M5000s and various launchers.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be drinking tea and as usual sending The White House my usual demand for unpaid taxes since 1776 [Big Grin]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll be drinking tea and as usual sending The White House my usual demand for unpaid taxes since 177
Since we are having non-US submisions

I'll be staying out of town whilst anarchists try to destroy every American (or globely) owned building.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday is a normal working day here, but an American ex-pat friend is throwing what she claims will be a 'small-scale' dinner party to mark the occasion. When she did likewise for Thanksgiving last November, I ended up spending the following day nursing the mother of all hangovers while trying to finish writing a long and complicated fundraising document for work. Maybe Dick's right and I should make the 4th of July a 'Boston tea party' this time!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 10:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Great Kaboom" at Zambelli's was heard clean up here! (No. Not really! [Big Grin] ) However, when it happened, people at Mercyhurst were worried whether it would affect their next show. It didn't.

Last year, George's memorial show was held at Mercyhurst. They had a mass at the chappel followed by fireworks. It was cool.

I don't have to be at work until later on in the afternoon because my shows don't start until the evening. I will have some time to celebrate at home, first.

I USED to make a drive across the state line to get some fireworks but that's gotten old. Now I just go to the range. (See my last picture submission.) I think I'll get out the rifle(s) this time. [Wink]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 01:43 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always watch at least one Christmas movie on the 4th of July, just because it's so wrong [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: