Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Loews/AMC merger (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Loews/AMC merger
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2005 08:49 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today. AMC and Loews announce a merger, the combined
company to be called AMC Entertainment Inc.

From the press release:
quote:

AMC Entertainment Inc. and Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corporation to Merge

Kansas City, Missouri and New York, New York - June 21, 2005 - AMC Entertainment Inc. and Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corporation, two of the world's leading theatrical exhibition companies, announced today that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement that would result in the combination of their businesses and the merger of AMC Entertainment Inc. and Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corporation. The merger agreement also provides for the merger of their respective holding companies, Marquee Holdings Inc. and LCE Holdings, Inc., with Marquee Holdings Inc., which is controlled by affiliates of J.P. Morgan Partners, LLC and Apollo Management, L.P., continuing as the holding company for the merged businesses. The current stockholders of LCE Holdings, Inc., including affiliates of Bain Capital Partners, The Carlyle Group and Spectrum Equity Investors, would hold approximately 40% of the outstanding capital stock of the continuing holding company.

Makes me a bit grumpy here in Boston where Loews dominates and the only non-Loews multiplex in Boston proper is an AMC...

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 11:12 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was only a matter of time given the preasure REG is putting on the other chains.
I'm wondering what will happen to Century and wheter or not I'll see a day I trade in my CW polo shirts for Regals.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll have to reword my résumé once again. [Eek!] (having worked for Cineplex Odeon, Loews and AMC)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-21-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ued to work for EDWARDS (Damn, I miss that company...they knew their stuff...) when the announcement came across of the Anshutz buying the interests of the three circuit's (Regal, EDWARDS, and United Artists) Chpt 11 orders, thus making a new company of REG, I figured that even with this buyout, that the operations would stay the same. WRONG! Regal, being the largest of the three, was given authority to be the one in charge of operations, (which some of us were given warnings on their operational tactics if we wanted to leave or not, and if we left, we would be given a severance package) but with this new management style, a lot of UA and EDW's people left. Course, with this merger became the largest circuit in the States.

Now, with this AMC/LCE merger, wonder if this new circuit of AMC Entertainment will also begin to gobble up smaller circuits, just to keep in the competition with REG as the largest circuit. For AMCE will have to gobble up at least another 1200 screens to overshoot REG to be the biggest.

..getting kinda scary on what's goings on in the theatre business world - a new theme of "just want to be the biggest, not the best?"

One can also see the huge increase of home theatre sales with this as well.....

-Monte

[ 06-21-2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re: biggest / not best

reminds me of the banking world in the past decade or so.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-21-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting to see what this means for the smaller Loews theatres (e.g. the Uptown in DC and the Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA.). Since buying out GCC, AMC has closed or sold several of the smaller (fewer than ten screens) houses that they purchased, since their business model (such as it is) tends to be focused more on theatres with large numbers of screens.

What will happen to the Loews name? It would be a shame to see one of the great names in exhibition history be scrapped.

Personally, I tend to think that the consolidation that has been happening in this business is a Bad Thing (tm) (r) (c) for consumers, leading to fewer choices and higher prices, but it may actually be good for independent exhibitors who can find a niche that the industry behemoths aren't interested in or able to fill.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point I hadn't thought about. With more and more uniformity, a theatre with a different 'agenda' would certainly make an impression on some of the moviegoers, hopefully a good impression.

As to the Loews name, I would hope that it would be similar to what Regal did, in allowing Edwards and United Artists keep their names (well, from what I've seen, though I imagine there may have been some that have changed), especially with a name like "Loews" ... but then again, one never knows.

Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering what this means in terms of a monopoly on some markets. For example, between AMC and Loews on Manhattan alone they own about 75% of the screens (there are 11 Loews, including the Michael Johnson totaling just under 100 screens and the 25 screens from AMC) With only 29 Regal/UA screens and a hand full of much smaller companies, most or which aren't 1st run so they don't count anyway. I imagine that either the Empire or E-Walk, probably E-Walk would have to be sold, possibly others??
I think there is a similar situation in Boston and DC with AMC and Loews dominating those markets... although I'm not very familiar with those cities.
Does anyone else know of any other cities perhaps Chicago or anywhere else that there are mostly AMCs and Loews?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-21-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..in the conractural clause with the REG consolation is that after 5 years of the merger (which was in 2002), the names of EDWARDS Cinemas, United Artists Theatres, and Regal Cinemas can be officaly changed to whatever the corporation elects to change to.

..probably be the same with the AMC/LCE merger - probably a designated year probation before officially changing the names on the theatres within this organization.

-Monte

Dan Suomi
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Dan Suomi   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Suomi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Chicago, there are mostly Lowes and AMC, with a few Century, one Regal, A couple of Marcus and Cinemark. With this new merger Chicago will be mostly AMC. Makes me wonder what about this country's monopoly laws. I think AMC will now have 90% of the market share in Chicago. I wonder if all Lowes theatres will now be renamed to AMC?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-21-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as monopoly laws I am not sure exactly how they work. But, there may be the issue of the fact that movie theatres fall under entertainment and there are many formss of entertainment such as video stores, cable tv, broadcast television and so on. So long as there are other ways to get your entertainment the government is not going to say much about it. Now if complaints are made vthat one can not get buildiung permits and such to buildd a theatre or someone within the theatre organization tries to find ways to prevent someone from building in a perticular area then the laws may apply.

What will be interesting is after everyone figures out that we just had the worst year at the box office since 1985. What will those over sized companies do then? Start closing more screenss and scrambleing around trying to avid bankruptcy.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, consolodation of this sort may be a necessary evil. The way I see it, the big film distribution companies have been giving the exhibition industry a very raw deal. Perhaps if there are two titan-sized chains they might have enough clout between themselves to carve out better deals and get Hollywood to reverse some of its obvious anti-theater tactics (shortened theatrical vs. home release windows, better versions of the movie on DVD, etc.).

This merger won't lead to any quality improvements in theaters. If anything, the cost cutting is going to continue. With less and less competition there won't be much pressure to build new locations with lots of nice stuff. Home theater technology will be the only "equalizer" in that equation.

I agree about an opportunity being present for smaller circuits and indie theaters to showcase more independent film product and foreign films. This strategy may only work in larger cities where a larger market base of very educated film fans is present. It's tough to promote a foreign film or indie flick in a city like where I live and have significant attendance numbers. In the end, we get the movies we deserve. The general public in the United States clearly prefers to be spoonfed the same old shitty big budget slop. They're voting for that kind of product with their dollars.

Mark Pierce
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Mark Pierce   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Pierce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat on the topic...

Diddn't Lowes just buy Famous Players in Canada? If they did that pretty much means that AMC owns Canadian cinema now.

Jeff Knoll
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Knoll   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Knoll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it is a coincidence that it happened within days of the Canadian merger, but the Canadian arm of the Loews Cineplex organization was purchased by the Canadian investment group that owned the small market exhibitor Galaxy Theatres. It is Cineplex Galaxy that is in the process of purchasing Famous to make our own super-monopoly.

As part of the new Canadian merger/aquisition, they are required to divest themselves of 35 location comprising 284 screens in 17 cities representing annual revenue of $100 million. I would be willing to bet the the new AMC will be writing a cheque to stengthen their presence in the Great White North.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-21-2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the article in Variety, I took it to mean that all the theatres would operate as AMC houses.

I think where Regal was concerned, it would have cost too much money and confused too many people to turn the UA and Edwards signs into REG signs. From what AMC did with the GCC signs, I wouldn't be surprised if they spend the millions to update all their signage.

*starts a sign company in Loews heavy markets!*

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: