Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » York Theater Pictures

Author Topic: York Theater Pictures
Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2005 05:12 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ELF Platter Picture, the film
looks like it got wound really weird!!!
Wont that ruin the Film???? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, this is a characteristic of the ELF platter.
On this platter the head and the tail are spliced together (that's why it's called "endless"). So when run, the film goes from the inside through the brain & projector back to the same platter and taken up on 6(in the case of that theater it might as well be 4 or 5) pins on the outside. In a given time distance these pins are pulled in and another 6(or whatever) pins move the film to the inside. This causes the star shape. You will need this because the speed on the platter is on the inside much slower than on the outside. That doesn't ruin the film that much as it would be taken up on a round shape. I think this system is developed by Kinoton.

The big advantage is that you don't need to rethread the projector (haha show me some projectionist who is too lazy to do that) but on the other hand over a long time distance it still ruins film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2005 07:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Betsie Beadling
Wont that ruin the Film????

quote: Dieter Depypere
no, this is a characteristic of the ELF platter.

While it is a characteristic, endless loops of this variety do scratch film and I consider scratched film ruined film! In order for the head of the film to get back to the center again the film continually slides on itself as the head works itself back to the center again. This film movement is caused by the tamper arm constantly pushing in on the film and forcing it back inward. There is no way that this system could work otherwise. While the ELF is the better of the endless loop systems these devices still ultimately scratch a print no matter what, generaally the result being cinch marks. Another disadvantage of them is that if the print is even slightly oily the film cannot slide against itself without sticking to itself.... the result is sometimes a really nasty film pile up and yet more film damage. Having gotten films in the past from this chain I can certainly attest to the cinch marks they cause. Bob Potts of Potts platter fame was the inventor of the endless loop system. The only continous loop system available that is gentle to film is a loop cabinet type of system..... pretty impractical for a cinema.

While an operator can make up all kinds of excuses for using this system... such as it frees managers to take care of customers, etc.... it really only represents film not being doone right.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-08-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton still offers the ST-2000E endless loop platter system. I have never seen one operate. Has anyone seen one in operation over a long time? Any thoughts?

As for minimizing booth work...the Kinoton FP 30ER system can do that the proper way...2-projector with rewinding projectors (without damaging film).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-08-2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and the one pic of the floor person lacing up...-piling the lead film on the floor before heading over to the rewind deck....

..one can see an Strong/Alpha A-3 in those Potts platters..

-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-08-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discussion of endless loop platters should continue here , as that thread was created first, labled clearly with the specific topic, and started inside the correct forum.

Continuing posts on this thread should be about other unique aspects of the York Theatre.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-08-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potts and Strong come out of the same factory...Design Manufacturing. I love the exposed speaker termination board on the wall for the audio rack....how did it get passed inspection...NEMA electrical boxes with covers are not that expensive....probably their insurance company is charging them more per year based on the booth set up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-08-2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's with the single-deck platter next to the Strong MUT?

The wiring in the "reverse shot of equipment" photo needs some improvement.

Also, one of those Centurys is missing its threading bulb (equipment that is missing parts like this drives me NUTS).

Nice reverse-slope auditorium, too. I've seen this in several venues and have never understood why anyone would have ever thought it was a good idea.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess that when I did the work for this chain back in the mid 80's there were not exposed wires like I see in the pictures and all those loose cords at any of their locations. Things certainly have become messy since my tenure there. There is no way in hell that those booths coulda passed any rigorus electrical inspection.

Mark

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and close my thread Since
Mr. Per Harburgh was first
at this Subject matter. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: