Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Help! Oven cleaner killed my kettle!

Author Topic: Help! Oven cleaner killed my kettle!
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my last post I asked for help cleaning our grimy kettle. As mentioned by Monte, I bought some yellow can "Easy Off" and let it sit on the grimy parts for a good six hours or so. When I went back to wipe away the mess, the inside of the kettle had a flaky black residue that doesn't seem to come off. The stainless steel parts (i.e. the lid, handle, and thumb screws) came out as clean as a whistle, but the thicker parts are covered with this rust-like film.

I scrubbed and scrubbed the stuff with a scotch-brite pad, but hardly any of came off. In an act of desperation, I plugged the kettle back in, poured in some "heat-n-clean" mix and brought it to a boil. I then let that sit for about two hours, poured it out and brought another batch to a boil, which is currently sitting in the popper overnight. I'm going to go back in tomorrow morning and take some steel wool to the inside of the kettle in hopes of cleaning off the rest of the mysterious black junk. Then I'm going to do another "heat-n-clean" treatment and give it a thorough cleaning. My question(s) is this:

1. If the multiple heat-n-clean treatments don't work, what else can I do?

2. Will the mysterious black residue taint my corn for Friday night?

[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-02-2005 11:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that wasn't very smart (or nice) of you. Just think how in the future someone will be searching through the forums trying to find a good solution to cleaning a kettle and will come across the idea of using oven cleaner...and could end up having the same problem you are having now all because of YOU! Yes YOU! YOUR FAULT!!! Bad Dan. BAD! [Razz]

You see, since you started a NEW thread, even though you linked BACK to the original, there is no FORWARD link to this one, and as such this thread may be overlooked by someone searching the archives leaving them only with the advice from the original discussion.

Go post this question in the original thread where it belongs, because I'm closing this one. Without a basic amount of organization, the search engine and the archives become useless. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: