Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Get the crud off my kettle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Get the crud off my kettle
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 12:14 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nice 14oz popper kettle that has some built up grease and oil on the exterior. What's the best way (product) to get the junk off and restore the shine?

I should also note, it's a Gold Medal Whiz-Bang popper.

|  IP: Logged

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 12:19 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cretors makes an outside kettle cleaner. They now also have a spray version called Carbon Cleaner. Product number 12731 that works pretty well. I personally prefer the older "Outside Kettle Cleaner". It has a gritty substance that really works into the build up to take it off.

Ph # on can is 1-773-588-1690

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its blue and smells really good too.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 03:13 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah yes, "smurf cum" they call it in these parts.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-02-2005 05:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..course, spray on "Easy Off" oven cleaner (the yellow can variety with is the genuine stuff) does the trick as well. Take the kettle off the bracket, cover up the cooking area and spray on that stuff and let it sit overnight, then wash off real good.

-Monte

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cretors and Gold Medal manufacture kettle cleaners. Contact your usual popcorn/food equipment supplier to purchase some.

Gold Medal part numbers:

2172 Fast Off outside kettle cleaner/carbon remover

2095 Heat 'n Klean inside kettle cleaner

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
course, spray on "Easy Off" oven cleaner (the yellow can variety with is the genuine stuff) does the trick as well
Yes that works too. But Easy Off also took off some of my skin and gave me a few nice chemical burn spots when I got it on me one day and didn't wash it off quick enough. yummmmy. So if you do use that, where gloves!

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I shouldn't have sprayed the Easy Off all over my face...

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're currently using Sysco's Real-A-Peal product.
I don't think it works very well, but it does disolve the oil with a bit of elbo grease and a pad of steel wool.
At one point I know they scraped off all the built up black crud and coagulated oil in the nooks and crannies with a screwdriver.
Long as it's kept clean it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

If all else fails, I'm sure Gojo would work [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Long as it's kept clean it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
There you go. We got a new popcorn machine about 8 years ago and to this day I tell every new employee, If it doesn't look like it's still brand new every night, you can't leave until it does. So it still looks new today! [Smile]

It's much easier to clean off today's crud than crud from 6 months ago.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 11:52 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned by Monte, I bought some yellow can "Easy Off" and let it sit on the grimy parts for a good six hours or so. When I went back to wipe away the mess, the inside of the kettle had a flaky black residue that doesn't seem to come off. The stainless steel parts (i.e. the lid, handle, and thumb screws) came out as clean as a whistle, but the thicker parts are covered with this rust-like film.

I scrubbed and scrubbed the stuff with a scotch-brite pad, but hardly any of came off. In an act of desperation, I plugged the kettle back in, poured in some "heat-n-clean" mix and brought it to a boil. I then let that sit for about two hours, poured it out and brought another batch to a boil, which is currently sitting in the popper overnight. I'm going to go back in tomorrow morning and take some steel wool to the inside of the kettle in hopes of cleaning off the rest of the mysterious black junk. Then I'm going to do another "heat-n-clean" treatment and give it a thorough cleaning. My question(s) is this:

1. If the multiple heat-n-clean treatments don't work, what else can I do?

2. Will the mysterious black residue taint my corn for Friday night?

[Confused]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 12:19 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the kettle made of? Oven cleaner is basically lye (sodium hydroxide), & I can't think of its reacting with steel, rust, stainless, etc. to create something you've described (the flaky black stuff). You'd need an acid. Of course, depending on what was already there, something surprising & complex could have happened. But the black stuff is still likely something the fat-based crap in the kettle was turned into, & is now adhering to the kettle.

I have a feeling the blue stuff others are using is basically similar to other grease removers that are in a sort of cream carrier, like that mechanics use for cleaning their hands. In other words, it's probably GoJo cream-style hand cleaner dyed blue to make it seem proprietary. You can find GoJo hand cleaner at auto parts stores & at the auto section at Wal-Mart.

However, now that the stuff is carbonised, even soaking with grease remover & constant agitation may not get you very far. In that case, you may need some stronger caustic (like carburettor cleaner, not recommended) or more likely a monster solvent. I doubt you'll get far with acetone, you need something stronger. But some stronger solvents can discolor metals. Stainless can be finicky.

I know time is money with your popper, but if nobody's got any first-hand solutions, I'd try (in order):

1. Pour some vegetable oil over the blackened part to soak & try to re-soften it overnight, then wipe out all you can, & try cleaning the rest out with GoJo while it's still sort of softened.

2. Go to an auto parts store & get a can or two of Brake Parts Cleaner aerosol & a palm-sized stiff, non-metal bristle parts cleaning brush. Aerosol brake parts cleaner is a delghtful collection of gorilla-strength flammable & carcinogenic petroleum distillates. Pick one that doesn't claim to be environmentally-friendly, has a terrifying list of ingredients (not just hexane, but things like trichlorofluorobubonicplague 1, 1, 666) & preferably has a warning like CAUTION: WILL CAUSE YOUR BABIES TO BE BORN WITH CLOVEN HOOVES & REPTILE EYES. Blast at the black stuff & knock as much off as possible, scrub with the stiff brush.

Afterwards, thoroughly wash the kettle with a good grease-lifting detergent which will remove the solvent residue. Then wash it 2 more times.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2005 03:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..now, if one REALLY wants to get nasty with backed on grease..is...to disassemble the unit, take off ALL of the electrics, then find a big pot to hold the kettle unit, take some bleach-a good two cups of it, throw it in the pot, fill the pot with water (do this outside over a raging fire) then just let that water/bleach boil all of that grease off -for the bleach will eat away all of that grease from the surface. Used to do this trick with frying pans that had gobs of baked on grease-amazing what boiling bleach water does with grease (granted, these frying pans, teflon coated, were aluminum, but it didn't take long for the grease to be boiled off to where it didn't hurt the alum too bad....)

Now, if that's a aluminum kettle-forget this trick. Bleach will eat up that raw alum real nice.

On the black-some kettles are nickel plated instead of stainless steel, and some chemicals will also eat that nickel away from the raw steel.

True, when using lye-get the gloves on....

..reason of my recommendation with oven cleaner is that I used the stuff on one of our kettles that was in the same condition as the one mentioned. Yet, our kettle wasn't black inside as the one mentioned here, for we kept the inside pretty well scrubbed and scoured out to where the oven cleaner was basically used on the outside.

I think that the black is just years of grease cooked in the metal of the kettle itself and the one treatment of the oven cleaner just barely broke loose the cooked in grease - to probably where one needs to do multiple treatments to get the surface of the kettle clean as the outside turned out to be with the one treatment of the oven cleaner.

Now, with this cleaning of my kettle using the oven cleaner: I didn't let it stand for the six hours mentioned, for I sprayed the stuff on and let it sit for just an hour, then took a paint scraper and loosened up what was sprayed over. As for the inside of the kettle, I did the same-sprayed and let stand for an hour then did the scraping as needed. Then washed the inside extremely well to where no cleaner was left. Then cooked two batches and threw them away to get rid of any trace of the cleaner. On my comment of leaving it soaking overnight was the outside surfaces only. For we didn't want to have any problems with the inside cooking surface-being that I mentioned of covering up the inside surfaces.

Sorry, if I might have lead somebody on the wrong path on this, but for me, it worked extremely well.

-Monte

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went back into the theater this morning around 6:00 am, armed with steel wool, a tub of Gojo, brillo pads, plastic scrapers, a wire brush, and concentrated dish detergent. I'm happy to announce, that after two and a half hours of applying healthy amounts of elbow grease and plenty of glop (grayish mixture of Gojo, orange detergent, and brillo suds) the inside of my kettle is as clean and smooth as a baby's bottom.

The blackish film had turned gray by the time I showed up this morning, and was considerably less flaky... although still somewhat annoying. After all the cleaning I did, the inside of the kettle now looks antiqued... like the sides of a big wrought iron stove kettle. The metal was also slightly pitted and bumpy in certain areas along the side. Long story short, although it may work for some people, I don't think we'll be using oven cleaner again. [Wink]

I appreciate all the fine advise, and may all your Friday night kettles runneth over. [beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-03-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan - you should probably make a few batches of popcorn and throw them away before making a batch for sale. (Taste issue, possibly, plus you want to make sure all those nasty chemicals are gone.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: