Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How to make picking up the lot at a drive-in faster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to make picking up the lot at a drive-in faster
Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 02:47 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any suggestions? I'm doing the janitor job at our drive-in for extra cash, but time will be limited. All I've done so far is walk through the lot with a trashbag and although it's not too bad, it's a little tiring on the back and slow. Someone suggested putting a nail in the end of a handle, but it doesn't seem like it'd be much faster.

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all: I hope I did understand correctly what you meant (I am AUstrian you know).
Try dividing the lot (if a parking lot is meant) into squares (all should be about the same size but not too big!) and pick these up one after the other. Make sure to start at the far end and work your way to the other end - otherwise you'll run criss-cross and waste valuable time.
I use this method to clean up a room/mow the grass/whatever when the room/lawn is not rectangle.
Hope I could help you but please(!) tell me if I misunderstood something.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the lot at the drive-in theater would be where the cars are parked facing the screen.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-01-2005 06:23 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a leaf blower.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-01-2005 08:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brings back memories! [Wink]

1. Don't do it on an empty lot at night (rats).

2. Wear disposable gloves (e.g. when you find used condoms).

3. A leaf blower/vacuum is a good idea for the smaller debris.

4. If you can afford it and have a paved lot, a "Billy Goat" or similar vacuum machine might work well:

http://www.parish-supply.com/billy_goat_sv50.htm

http://www.nhlawn.com/billy-goat/lawn-vacuum.htm

quote:
SV Pro Series Quiet Vac
Our newest quiet vacuum with revolutionary bagging system.
Billy Goat's newest vacuum SV50 Quiet Vac features incredibly strong suction, bagging versatility, and whisper quiet operation that revolutionizes outdoor vacuums and solves hundreds of cleaning problems. This amazing vacuum is equally suited for picking up parking lot litter, Autumn litter & leaves

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make announcements before and after the show to the effect of:

"Local health dept. regulations prohibit the throwing of trash on the ground as it attracts rodents"

"Trash cans are located outside the snack bar for your convenience"

"Outside food and drinks are prohibited"

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hand out small plastic bags at the ticket booth (T-Shirt Bags) and tell customers it's their trash bag. Local drive-in here does that and cut way back on the amount of trash in the lot.

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First things first, try and get your manager to give out t-shirt bags at the boxoffice for trash. These are those little plastic bags the put your groceries in, can get them at Sams Club, Costco, etc. We started that 8 years ago and two of us can clean the lot in less than 1hr after doing $2000 in the snackbar. It really works!

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, make sure there are plenty of trash cans around. People will tend to put stuff in a trash can, if they can EASILY find one. If they can't EASILY find a trash can, the trash will be on the ground.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-01-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The public works department in Erie (my hometown) has a couple of these that they drive around during public festivals, etc.

We call them Snuffleupagus Mobiles.

[Big Grin]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My trash guy uses a handtruck and puts a trashcan on it. He secures it with a bungee cord. He puts about 15bags on the handle of the can and gets a pick up grabber and starts walking. He keeps a broom and dustpan with him as he picks up garbage. It usually takes him about 3 hours to pick up the lot and an hour to clean up the bags from the lot.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-02-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 hours? Damn, thats a long time! Maybe your guy should take some of the tips posted above.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
"It doesn't have to be like work if you make a game out of it...
Ready now? Everybody sing: "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..."

[Dodges thrown bricks...]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2005 01:12 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's pretty much suggested every trick I always knew, except:
quote: John Pytlak

1. Don't do it on an empty lot at night (rats).

Gotta disagree on this one. First, if the lot's empty, it doesn't need picking up. [Razz] [Wink] Secondly... depends on your location. We had skunks. Like anything, you just gotta watch out. Plus, picking up at night is a sight easier (and cooler) than in the daytime.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2005 03:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is where I started in this crazy career: being a projectionist at a drive-in for 7yrs.

After the snakbar had closed down and toward the last hour of the night, me and the rampboy (when I was inbetween reels, just made my changeover and loaded up the other machine) head out to the yard and picked up the big stuff with broom handles that had a couple of long nails driven in the end and with the head of the nails were cut off and the end ground off to a point - to pick up the big stuff into the two garbage cans that we wheeled around strapped to a couple of freight dollies.

(yes, you could find some interesting "artifacts" lying on that yard...and even some moolah that had fallen out of the patron's pockets..LOL)

On busy nights towards the end of the night, the two of us had a decent system down were we had that yard pretty well cleaned up in the last hour of the night (still had to run back in the booth to do my changeovers though, and I could hear the reel end ding bell chime out in the yard), and then the day guy only took less than a hour to finish up the yard.

Our yard was just a gravel yard-not the fancy paved variety.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: