Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » MGM now distributed by Sony (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MGM now distributed by Sony
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2005 11:31 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, just got notified that MGM releases will now be dist by Sony. Does anyone have the poop behind MGM's demise/merger/sale?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
poor poor TCD.. yet another loss.. those orange cans are starting to disappear now-a-days.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-28-2005 02:24 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just when they were beginning to get their act together. Oh well, we'll all be out of business in a couple of months anyway.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 02:40 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that the buy out of MGM by Sony would have been common knowledge amongst the US techers!.

Sony outbid Warners I believe to the tune of $8 B US for MGM's business in the states and from what I understand not much will change. You will still see the MGM lion logo etc just that Sony Pictures will distribute the stuff with MGM as a more or less arms length company.. at least for the time being.
There will be a bit of a change in Australia as MGM was/still is distributed by Fox but that will change soon and MGM stuff will start popping up thru the Columbia exchange which is Sony anyway.
It was quite a tussle for Sony to get control with a vigorous bidding war between Sony and Warners over many months.
This got quite a few writeups in the OZ film industry publications... maybe it was seen as just "another" takeover in the US and given no real publicity as a result.

Lindsay

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was years ago when Sony bought the MGM studios and removed the MGM name. I, for one, am not all that impressed that it's now called "Sony Pictures Studios" but I imagine it's done to impress their investors. So this apparently is a logical next step. I wonder how long it will be before Paramount, Columbia, Universal and Warner Brothers are gobbled up by some Japanese conglomerate.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-28-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony bought up what was left of MGM studios' lot. A great deal of the original MGM campus was sold off by Kirk Kerkorian decades ago for things like condominum developments. MGM has drifted from one owner to the next over the last 30 years, with Kerkorian winding up with it here and there. I think he made a few billion more for himself with this Sony deal.

To me, MGM and United Artists are little more than shells of once great studios. The brand names themselves don't really command much interest anymore.

The main area that is seeing immediate effect over the Sony buyout is in the video area. Many DVD titles under development have been pushed back or shelved indefinitely. The ownership raises all sorts of legal issues and many contracts and rights deals have to be renegotiated. Sergio Leone fans were waiting in interest for a new 2 disc "Fist Full of Dollars" special edition. The project was nearing completion. But now there's no telling when that title will see release.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-29-2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Sony no longer owns the Culver Studios. In 2004, it was sold to PCCP Studio City Los Angeles.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this have any positive/negative effect on old MGM repertory titles and their availability?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
Will this have any positive/negative effect on old MGM repertory titles and their availability?
I believe all the MGM rep product is still owned & moved through Warner/Turner. As the corpse of MGM got kicked around, the library of about 1985-earlier went to Turner, & I think the post-1985-ish titles still go with the corporate entity (now owned by Sony).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-30-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Kraus sent me this link, which better explains what Sony will have in available film titles from the MGM deal.
http://www.sonypicturesrepertory.com/hot.html

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-30-2005 01:13 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The voice of Michael Schlesinger is pretty distinctive there [Smile]

--jhawk

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2005 11:55 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's got My Fair Lady now?
Is there still a 70mm print around?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-01-2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
I wonder how long it will be before Paramount, Columbia, Universal and Warner Brothers are gobbled up by some Japanese conglomerate.
Well Columbia Pictures has been a part of Sony for a long while and Universal Pictures was also a part of a Japanese congloerate too.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Sergio Leone fans were waiting in interest for a new 2 disc "Fist Full of Dollars" special edition. The project was nearing completion. But now there's no telling when that title will see release.
That special edition project "A Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" and "A Fistful of Dynamite" has been completed and is currently available in region 2. All three titles are 2 disc special editions with new 16x9 transfers and 5.1 digital soundtracks plus a DTS track. The special features on all three discs are very nice. Depending on how Sony handles their release, MGM had them coming out next year.
They look nice [thumbsup]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-05-2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Wow. The voice of Michael Schlesinger is pretty distinctive there
And isn't that one grand stroke of luck for us arthouse folk! The more titles that come under his auspises, the better. There is no one better to deal with or who is as passionate about film as Michael. What-oh-what will we do when he retires?! Oh...right; I won't have to worry cause I will be retired too....it will be the next guy's problem (which he will probably try to fix by buying a video projector and a bunch of DVDs).

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Hooper
Who's got My Fair Lady now?
Is there still a 70mm print around?

Last time, I heard from that beauty, she was distributed by Fox, but danish representitive rejected it with poor estimate for possible reissue.
I had the pleasure of distributing it, last time around over here - that is late seventies, still using the original 1964 70mm print.
A good friend watched it at the mid-nineties reissue in New York and was not impressed by neither picture nor sound - Anybody here been close to it at that time ? The dvd is great, but alas this is all, I have seen of Eliza and the good professor for the last 25 years. -Sad, but I'm afraid the good danish Fox-boss did right in rejecting. -It's over [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: