Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Mobile Phone usage inside the house

Author Topic: Mobile Phone usage inside the house
Steven C Y Chan
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 05:19 AM      Profile for Steven C Y Chan   Author's Homepage   Email Steven C Y Chan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone get any ideal how to solve the problems people use a lot mobile phone when show start? We had try to found and ask them to switch off or in silence mode, but people still going on and on. [fu] we even get complain as we walk around to found the ringing phone. Any suggestion? We had try to use a jammer but government say it is illegal. Sometime we refund them.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 05:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This issue has been flogged to death (which, IMHO, is what should happen to people who use their mobiles in cinemas) in a number of other threads, for example this one.

Using jammers is illegal here, too, sadly.

Steven C Y Chan
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Steven C Y Chan   Author's Homepage   Email Steven C Y Chan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about if we shield all the house? or direct shield the repeater sources?? we use these method on tscm too, would that be possible? sure only in new site.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 02:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can shield every wall, ceiling, and floor of your auditorium with grounded metallic shielding, you create a "Faraday Cage" that will prevent any RF signal from getting in. But any opening in the shield (e.g., the entrance doors) could provide enough "leakage" to still allow a cell phone to operate if the signal strength is sufficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

quote:
The Faraday cage is an electrical apparatus designed to prevent the passage of electromagnetic waves, either containing them in or excluding them from its interior space. It is named for physicist Michael Faraday, who built the first one in 1836.

Faraday stated that the charge on a charged conductor resided only on its exterior, and had no influence on anything enclosed within it. To demonstrate this fact he built a room coated with metal foil, and allowed high-voltage discharges from an electrostatic generator to strike the outside of the room. He used an electroscope to show that there was no excess electric charge on the inside of the room's walls.

This shielding effect is used to eliminate electric fields within a volume, for example to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and other electrostatic discharges (ESDs).

The same effect was predicted earlier by Francesco Beccaria (1716–1781) at the University of Turin, a student of Benjamin Franklin's work, who stated that "all electricity goes up to the free surface of the bodies without diffusing in their interior substance". Later, the Belgian physicist Louis Melsens (1814–1886) applied the principle to lightning conductors.

The Faraday cage is sometimes known as a Faraday shield. The latter term is also used more generally for any kind of electrostatic shielding.

http://www.rabc.ottawa.on.ca/e/Files/01pub3.PDF

quote:
Use of Jammer and Disabler Devices for Blocking PCS,
Cellular & Related Services

http://www.rabc.ottawa.on.ca/e/Files/tp201rl1.PDF

quote:
2.1.5 Type “E” Device (EMI Shield - Passive Jamming)
This technique is using EMI suppression techniques to make a room into what is called
a Faraday cage. Although labour-intensive to construct, the Faraday cage essentially
blocks, or greatly attenuates, virtually all electromagnetic radiation from entering or
leaving the cage – or in this case a target room.
With current advances in EMI shielding techniques and commercially available products
one could conceivably implement this into the architecture of newly designed buildings
for so-called “quiet-conference” rooms.
Emergency calls would be blocked unless there was a way to receive and decode the 9-
1-1 transmissions, pass by coax outside the room and re-transmitted. It is unclear whether or not such techniques may still contravene the
Radiocommunication Act section 9.(1)(b), which states:
No person shall without lawful excuse, interfere with or obstruct any
radiocommunication.
In addition, municipal or provincial building code by-laws may or may not allow this type
of construction.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 03:48 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a sign on the entrance door saying mobiles shall be turned
off completely in the entire theater, including the lobby. Anyone
with a mobile on in the lobby is "attacked" in a loud voice by me
or a staff member, to turn it off or leave the theater. No one
dares to have it on in the auditorium.

If anyone ask us why mobiles can´t be used in the lobby, we tell
them they can interfere with the sound system. -Aaah, they say,
we understand.

Thomas

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread on this subject I suggested that the industry approach the cellular carriers and work together on a solution. Micro-cells could be installed in the auditoriums which can be set to disallow calls when the projector is running. Basically, the phones would be connected to the micro-cell becuase it will be the best signal but the cellular carrier would allow a control signal from the automation which stops processing calls when the projector is running. It could be set up to allow 911 calls at all times. During "quiet" time, the phone would still be connected to the cellular system via the micro-cell and it wouldn't know to try to find another signal. It would just think no calls are coming through.

For this to work, you'd need a microcell from every carrier in each auditorium.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come technology that would help us "good guys" improve the experience for our patrons is illegal to use, but technology that allows "bad guys" to commit crimes (like movie theft) is OK for all?

The cell jammers ought to be legal for the same reason all those file-swap services are legal.

Steven C Y Chan
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Steven C Y Chan   Author's Homepage   Email Steven C Y Chan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John, you had give me a great information on it. very interesting, thanks.

Thomas, we had try your way, result is - people here will 'strike back' will a louder voice, and someone others will sent a complain to our head office, not the one using mobile (how can complain them, or we will do it 1st), but the staff speaking loud.

Lyle, my boss had found a germany company working with a very small output jammer, they say they will only jam inside the theater, no outside even the lobby, some tips I only know is their output is very low (some tens mW) so not far and not strong enough to pass most wall, direct antenna and reflector is used (hope I remember it right), some people in our company had seen the result and say it is ok, lawyer work on it to related government department. Don't know the result, but time used a lot, so not a good sight.

They had also make a point is by today technical, using 3G mobiles, it is possible to sent the movie out illegal(?), with these they only need a capture device (CCD?) and some 3G mobile, capture and bluetooth to the phone and out, I haven't see the demo, but people had seen a demo by the jammer company, using a modificated sony IP-55 camrecorder, 5 pcs 3G mobile, and say can work.

If so, hope something can be happen later.

I still remember when ONJ in concept here, when she told people turn off mobile and paging, seen all people do it (sure, she charge over 2-3 times more than normal singers here), its so great. And pre-show of the SW EP-3, phone collected and stored. If possible, I want it in every show. (sure my ground level manager will kill me) [beer]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 03:50 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The cell jammers ought to be legal for the same reason all those file-swap services are legal.
Because you are fundamentally infringing on another persons "rights".

I know its hard to comprehend, but im pretty sure I could count the days you would have this system in place without being in civil litigation on one hand.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-29-2005 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Federal Act does not equal Rights (the highest form of protection in the US). Like everything, it is up to interpretation.

A jammer has the issue that you, the theatre owner, must be broadcasting something in order to jam the signal...the problem will be with the authorization to broadcast.

The RF shielded theatre, on the other hand, is a passive system and can happen naturally through building construction. A subway is often not a good cell phone are, as are tunnels and many buildings with a lot of steel about.

In Colonial Williamsburg, they have a pair of theatres that were constructed in the 1950s in their Visitor's center...the ceiling and walls are all made from perforated metal panels. To top it off, the screen is a silver type with aluminumized particals to maintain the color of the room more so than for projection quality since it creates a bit of a hot spot. Don't count on your cell phone working in there. In fact, it posed a problem for us to come up with a wireless system to broadcast up to 6 foreign languages. We had to run the antennas down to the screen and hang them from the center speaker platform. The screen was the weak link in the cage. You couldn't broadcast from the booth to the theatre...the signal just died. Even putting the antennas so close didn't yield 100% coverage from a system that can normally reach very far (a block or two). On the upside, there is no inter-theatre interference (they are back to back theatres).

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-29-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The RF shielded theatre, on the other hand, is a passive system and can happen naturally through building construction
Today many businesses are saving money on construction by having buildings prefabed from steel, then adding concrete, wood, more steel, more concrete, whatever, after the initial installation.

So they end up with every bit of wall, cieling and floor made from steel. Quite often you may be in one of these prefab buildings without even knowning it. However you may also find that your cell phone seems to not be able to get a good signal.

Ciao

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I’ve noticed lately: while earlier “shut off your cell phone” trailers didn’t seem to work, there’s one that AMC has been using lately which features the sound of a baby crying and then a cell phone ringing. The sound effects are recorded so well (and they playback only out of one channel) that the first time I saw this trailer, even I thought it was a real baby crying.

During the presentation of SW3, this trailer received audience applause at the screening I attended. And no cell phones rang during the screening.

So while I still see people checking their phones 10 times during a screening (and the glow of the their screen is annoying enough), I think audiences are finally getting the message and turning the ringers off.

On the other hand, Billy Crystal tells a story about how in spite of his requests to shut phones off, five different cell phones rang during a performance of his Broadway show. Some people are so arrogant, rude and obnoxious, it boggles the mind.

IMHO, a cell phone ringing during a movie or stage performance is grounds for ejection.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-31-2005 09:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do a PowerPoint slide show before our movies with sound and video. (I HATE PowerPoint but I have to use it.)

We had a rash of interruptions from phones during the movies until I put a special slide into the slide show.

Picture = A cellular Phone with text superimposed: "Don't forget to turn off your cell phone!"

Sound = Sound of a phone ringing. (Using stereo effect to make it move around the room.

Since I put that slide into the preshow there has been, maybe one or two interruptions for the rest of the year! I'm pretty sure the interruptions came from latecomers.

Besides the sound as an attention getter I think the key to its effectiveness is the use of the line "Don't Forget..."
Everybody knows (or ought to know) that they should turn their ringers off during the show. This serves as a gentle, yet direct reminder to do something they know they should.

I've gotten a lot of laughs from people who hear the ring, not knowing its a sound effect, and start looking for the source of the sound. When they see slide on the screen, almost universally, they check their phones right then and there. I've actually witnessed people do it.

Trailers that use cute animation, sayings or sound like they are putting people down will, I believe, be less effective than a polite and to-the-point reminder to turn off the phone.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing I?ve noticed lately: while earlier ?shut off your cell phone? trailers didn?t seem to work, there?s one that AMC has been using lately which features the sound of a baby crying and then a cell phone ringing. The sound effects are recorded so well (and they playback only out of one channel) that the first time I saw this trailer, even I thought it was a real baby crying.
That particular snipe is called "sound track" and its being replaced.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: