Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Skateboarding films & vandalism (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Skateboarding films & vandalism
Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a ten-plex in Texas that is 3 years old this year. We played "The Grind" a while back, and during the run of that film, we had the most cases of vandalism in our auditorium - slashed seats, armrests stolen or torn up, and ceilings punched through in the entrance/exit hallway, plus graffiti painted on our parking lot. I was informed by my booker that we will open "Lords of Dogtown" next week, and I told him that I was not looking forward to it. He told me that I was the only theater to complain about any type of damage related to playing a skateboard film. I started to wonder if I am just imagining this, or has anyone else experienced similar problems when showing a certain "type" of film?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount paid for extra security when "Tupac: Resurrection" came out. We deducted it from our film rental. Same deal with Sony and "You Got Served" and "Bad Boys II." You might want to see if your booker can swing a similar deal with Sony.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certain films will bring in different kinds of people.
Durring Boys N Tha Hood a riot errupted in the lobby of the local Regal Regency 7 back when it was UA.

I'm expecting a few jackmonkeys for Dogtown.
Though we mostly have a problem with people smoking and drinking in our theaters rather than rampant grafetti.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-24-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Grind, A group of about 20 teens were jumping over seats trying to see who could jump the most rows. Damaged 7 seats. As soon as I saw this i stopped the movie, opened the port window, and told them to leave. This is the only time I have ever had to stop a movie.

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the film company pay for security before. Our booker was able to work it out. We showed evidence of previous problems and the film company agreed to pay for it.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you don't like skaters. I don't see a problem playing Lords of Dogtown. The same type of kids that will be there to see it, are the same that come to our Midnight Shows. So far, no problem. But then, we do more walk thru's than normal. I am more concerned about kids sneaking in alcohol than tearing up the place. Sure there are a few bad apples out there. No, I don't skateboard, but I do blade.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply inform your booker to NOT book in the type pictures that
might cause damage to your theatre...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-25-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Anderson
Sounds like you don't like skaters.
It's not simply a question of liking skaters or not. The true question is what are skaters contributing to our society.

1. Damaged Sidewalks
2. Ripped and Scarred Railings
3. Drug and Alcohol usage by Minors
4. Running people over with thier skateboards
5. Loitering
6. A general feeling of "FU" to the world for no apparent reason
7. Vandalism at will when "THE MAN" tells you to move on

Skaters, Gang Bangers, Alchoholics, Rapists, Murderers, Nuns, they are all the same.

Ciao

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-26-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was very racist.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-26-2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ethan Harper
Wow, that was very racist.
Exactly how, Ethan, can it be that hating skaters is 'racist'???

-Aaron

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-26-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Williams
1. Damaged Sidewalks
2. Ripped and Scarred Railings
3. Drug and Alcohol usage by Minors
4. Running people over with thier skateboards
5. Loitering
6. A general feeling of "FU" to the world for no apparent reason
7. Vandalism at will when "THE MAN" tells you to move on

3, 5, 6, and 7 sound like the majority of the population at some point in their lives. This group just happens to do all this on a skateboard, as opposed to on a bike, or in their hot rod car.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-26-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a dictionary, a race can also be defined as Humans considered as a group. He said that every person associated within the Skater group is bad which is not fact.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-26-2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
As soon as I saw this i stopped the movie, opened the port window, and told them to leave. This is the only time I have ever had to stop a movie.
Film done wrong.
Security done wrong.

Okay, I had to stop a movie once, too. Similar situation. Violence in the theatre. Luckily there were some Marines in the auditorium who were happy to help eject the troublesome patrons.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan ... that's a terrible stretch ... next thing we know, there'll be women demanding a "blacktino" race category.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-27-2005 01:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like it or not, the sport of skateboarding attracts more otherwise worthless people than just about any other sport. Here in town, we have a WWII monument where the skaters hang out. They have destroyed this monument twice, for no apparent reason other than to be destroying something. That monument has stood for nearly 40 years without any damage of any kind until about 5 years ago when skaters started to hang around there and beat it up. Idiots.

If these people put as much energy into doing something worthwhile as they do into their sport and its related damage, the world would be a better place.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: