Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Does THX Matter Anymore??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Does THX Matter Anymore???
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anybody in an area that still has THX certified theatres, do the patrons care anymore or has all the Home/PC THX stuff diminished the brand name? Do people go to an older THX certified theatre over a new megaplex?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 12:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me as a film viewer, its never been an issue. In fact, in my area there was only one theater (Regal) who was THX certified. In 1996 during our first expansion/remodeling project it was suggested we redesign for certification, but that was quickly quashed when it came to the final budgeting process.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The early THX theatre here certainly did have superior sound. I was especially impressed with the quieter sounds and the wonderful musicallity of the system. Wow, did it sound good.

Marcus installed 6 THX units in a multiplex. They advertised moderately. The theatres sounded very very good, but Marcus never used any of the sound system trailers, which was disappointing. They have now dropped THX certification, but the theatres continue to have excellent sound.

We now have a downtown, independent 8-screen that proudly advertises being the only all-THX theatre in Ohio. They advertise this fact regularly ("See it in THX on a 62' screen!). These theaters are competing with huge chain multi-plexes, so they need SOMETHING to get people to drive downtown, driving past the moster-plexes. (Note that they also charge only $1 for parking in a very convenient location.)

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 16-screen theater here that supposedly has all auditoriums THX-Certified has been open for about 2 years, and so far it's been disappointing. Several times I have heard bass coming from the theater next door, and once I even heard noise from outside! Weren't these the main problems THX design was supposed to eliminate?
It's painfully obvious that THX standards don't include competent booth personnel either.
THX-certification for video releases is of course a COMPLETE joke.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-20-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Lyle's question, I feel patrons do care, but not *that* much. The THX brand name has diminished, partly because it's on too many products. People go to the theater playing the film they want to see, almost regardless of the quality.

THX was a good idea, but no so necessary today. THX put many construction details on paper and tested equipment so they knew what an amp or speaker could really do. This looked at the construction of a theater as a whole system, and provided complete engineering data to build the best possible result. It was hard to do this 20 years ago, but is sort of easy today. Really, many people today semi-copy THX spec's they got from a previous job and apply them to their new job.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-20-2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things that came out of the THX specifications, that I would say carried over to the current builds.

Air conditioning units on the roof are now installed so that they are not directly over the auditoriums. The return vents, at least with cinemark, are now below the screens far away from the units and I have never noticed any noises coming from them.

Cam Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Cam Jones   Email Cam Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX seems like just another way for Lucas to make some money now, I have seen (or heard in this case) many non THX theatres that have better sound.

The Lowes Sony Metreon in SF claims all of its theatres are THX, however when I went there I heard noise from the booth (projectors, people talking etc.)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-22-2005 02:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
THX seems like just another way for Lucas to make some money now,
Lucasfilm spun off the THX division a few years ago, it is now a totally independent privately held corporation.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
Lucasfilm spun off the THX division a few years ago, it is now a totally independent privately held corporation.

Aaron, Not totally true... They are owned by Creative Sound Labs... hence the foray into computer speakers and junk market stuff. Creative is really nothing more than a marketing company. Indeed they might have been better off had they been bought by someone important like Maytag.....

My experience is that THX no longer matters at all. The public is today capable of recognizing really good sound reproduction and will typically frequent a cimema with excellent sound no matter whats playing down the street. In fact names like Dolby Digital and DTS are the more important names to advertise on today.

In several cases where I was involved with one or two THX screens in a complex it actually caused a problem in which patrons would not buy a ticket UNLESS the film they wanted to see was playing in the THX house.

Of course the best thing to come out of the THX technology was the R-2.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-22-2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX is useful if you really want to build a good cinema and you're willing to pay what it costs. The "certification" passes the minimum standard which is rather low, but if you actually build to the THX specs you'll have a room with pretty good acoustics and pretty good isolation and with sound equipment capable of presenting digital sound at the proper level without anything breaking.
You can build a better sounding and better isolated room without THX if you know what you're doing. From the new theatres I visit, the architects designing them don't know how... or they get building budgets that force them to avoid doing it right.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-22-2005 01:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Of course the best thing to come out of the THX technology was the R-2.
But Mark, you forget about the D-2. [Razz]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-22-2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Creative Labs owned them, but I couldn't find any information to prove same. Thus I went with the release from THX's own site that specifies that they were independent from Lucasfilm.

-Aaron

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many customers believe that THX is a different type of digital sound and are surprised when I explain that the crossover is the only equipment difference. I have EX in my Star Wars auditoriums and we are not THX certified. I thought ours sounded better than the THX theatre that we had the trade screening. How often do you have to re-certify? If the theatre isn't properly maintained, it probably isn't always up to THX standards.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2005 08:21 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know in Nashville THX doesn't mean [bs]

I have been to several independent houses in small communities around here that puts the "Big Boys" to shame.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 12:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one THX screen locally at Notre Dame, and it certainly means something. The sound there is perfect, and the image extremely bright. I forget which kind of projectors, but the manager there said they were made in India. Sound is through a CP650, with Crown amps. Not sure about the speakers. They are having a mini movie festival here in June, and they are finally getting some films with amazing sound mixes. The cinema usually has indie fair, but this time, we get some cool blockbusters like Titanic and The Matrix. I'm stoked!

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: