Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Seating installed on straight line instead of curve

Author Topic: Seating installed on straight line instead of curve
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

It's hard for me to imagine why a theatre owner would install the auditorium seats (in an extra wide auditorium) on a straight line as opposed to a nice curve. This spoils about 60% of the seating. I frequesntly see this and it simply does not make sense. Any ideas?

Best Regards

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One factor is that the floor would also need to be poured to the matching radius of the curved seating....more money [Frown]

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beside the cost, straight rows will probably allow for at least
one more row.

Thomas

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 04:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I know of a 6 screener that has all of it's seats going straight across-no radius, PLUS the front row of seats is only 4 feet from the foot of the screen!

I pity the people who sits on the sides and have to actually sit sideways to get a decent view to the screen-massively unconfortable.

Course, with the screen that close to the front rows, the screen gets massively attacked by kids who sit down in those front rows with their gooey handprints, spitball attacks, candy ball attacks, and whatever that can be thrown.

-Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-12-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is Continental-style seating?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-12-2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea, Continental, with wings. Shotgun ain't so bad if you're in a narrow shoebox, but still watching on a 8x16ft screen....

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Continental" refers to all the seats being in one group in the middle - has nothing to do with if the rows are curved or not. (At least that's what John Eickhof told me, and he's pretty damn smart!) [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mike is correct
the lake of curving the seat rows is another example of people ignoring the issues that SMPTE had investigated in EG18

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-13-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Mike. Thanks. I'd forgotten.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: