Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Manager appreciation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Manager appreciation
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-03-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to ask this question:

I've noticed, in present and past posts, of situations of large circuits treating their managers like a "tool in the toolbox" -just to be used.

As it looks, no appreciation is given for the hard work they do in keeping that complex or small multiscreen together in running form. Just get as much out for little compensation given.

Why so of this treatment then?

One would think that if appreciation is given to that manager that he'll work harder to gain self respect and pride in knowing that he is succeeding as a manager for that certain company, thus do his best at all times.

Reason of my asking is that I've been there and done that in this area-did a good job as one, but wasn't given the credit due.

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corporations aren't human. They're around to make the shareholders money.

It's corporate mentality at it's finest. When you work for a company and your employee number is worth more than your name that's a good indicator.
When a company actually bothers tallying the amount of times someone clocks in 1 minute late for a shift and calls it an "attendance" problem, you know you're in a corporation.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..like this joke from Bob Paar's page about corporations?

The Monkey Theory
Start with a cage containing five monkeys.

Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it.

Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result – all the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, turn off the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him.

After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked.

The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.

Again, replace a third original monkey with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four monkeys that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing the fourth and fifth original monkeys, all the monkeys that have been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs.

Why not?

Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been around here.

And that's how company policy begins..........

-Monte

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
up until here

quote: Monte L Fullmer
The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.
Its actually kinda an accurate statement.

At my theater (and the Chain overall) managers are "appreciated" via several (but not many) performance based incentive programs.

The smallest and oft most missed is, biannual assesments by theater level "upper management". This allows middle and lower managers to recieve feedback on their performance. This may include both criticism and praise and a raise (if you havent reached 100% position value), bonus (if you have reached 100% position value) or promotion.

The most common is our quarterly incentive program, where management as a team bonuses based on a percentage of completion of established financial goals (generally concessions revenue, operating expense and guest satisfaction ratings). If you get your target figures you get 100% payout, if you get 47% of your target figures you get 47% payout, etc.

The third and most infrequent (that ive seen) are more situational. Like if our theater generates the most money for a charity, or we get the highest score on a facilities Evaluation than we might get something like a small bonus or some merchandise.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, incentives are good. Cingular Wireless gives incentives, but they'll be quick to let you go for taking time off for work related injuries.

For me, nothing beats when someone important from our chain comes to the theater and tells me the booth looks good or when a customer actually notices the quality of the presentation.

What any good business should do by default is to recognize, give praise for, incentives when necessary, and do what they can within reason to keep a good employee. Unfortunately they figure all people are teh same, which we all know isn't true. Not everyone can properly break down a movie even when they receive just as much training as someone else.

Furthermore the only people who can ever be in good standing with a corporation for any amount of time is just another tool whos daily goal in life is to be the hallow drone they're expected to be. But even then (Best Buy is very guilty of this) they're not above getting canned for something stupid.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it as a compliment everytime NO ONE notices the presentation. That tells me that were all doing a good job. I personally dont need a pat on the back for doing job I get paid for. I cash my "pat on the back" every couple weeks and quite appreciate THAT. Also, as far as manager appreciation, I do appreciate some of them...others not so much. Over all I appreciate all workers in the theater. They do a fantastic job. I prefer not to single anyone out unless they performed above and beyond..

Cam Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Cam Jones   Email Cam Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if the managers get appricated for thier hard work they may actually end up passing it down to their floor employees which you don't see too often.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2005 03:31 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank you remind me alittle bit of my old booth manager Ever, who used to post here a few months ago.

Many moons ago he was sent to our sister theater to help train their new booth manager, and one day after he had been there for a while he was on the floor with the Senior on a friday "morning" and she remarked how little chatter was coming from the booth channel (on the radios). Apparently she was very accustomed to hearing about bad splice and missing trailers and scratches, etc. He remarked something along the lines of "Yeah, this is how its supposed to be."

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 03:39 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of incentives I've implemented a Film Done Right incentive for my assistant film handlers during the run of Star Wars Episode 3.
Opening week $10 is allocated towards a gift card. For each week the movie is running without being damaged 50 cents is added to the cards.
If both prints are damaged in any way during the first week then no goodies get issued.
If one is scratched then the amount added becomes 25 cents.
And finally when the run is over or the prints are scratched or anything the cards are cashed out.
Basically that's it.

I think it's fair. Hopefully it'll help. I must give credit though, our second film handler is our new supervisor, who learned quickly and had no big mishaps during training.

What else is a good incentive for film handlers?
...other than not being ripped for stupid crap and such.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 08:10 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is much wisdom in the old song, "ACCENTUATE the POSITIVE and ELIMINATE the NEGATIVE"

That really works well with anyone. Praise is stronger than criticism any day.

KEN

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I do a good job, my theater will stay open. I will continue to be paid a salary. That's all the appreciation I need [Big Grin]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Morgan
If I do a good job, my theater will stay open. I will continue to be paid a salary. That's all the appreciation I need
I've hit on this point before in the form of: Every employee has a vested interest in the success of the operation, because what's going to happen to their cushy little job when the lease runs out and the company decides "well, we're not getting enough revenue here..."

Kyle McTague
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Kyle McTague   Email Kyle McTague   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even if i'm doing a good job, i'm kept well aware of how expendable i am. hehe

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some theaters manage to stay open when their people AREN'T doing a good job...

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
Well, some theaters manage to stay open when their people AREN'T doing a good job...
That's true. Those are tax write-offs [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: