Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » charging for public domain

Author Topic: charging for public domain
Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 06:00 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it fine to charge for showing a public domain movie?

|  IP: Logged

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 06:17 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a legal expert but this may be relative: when "It's a Wonderful Life" was considered "public domain" there were endless TV stations or networks airing it...and they certainly ran PAID commercials with it...so, in other words, they charged for the ad time they ran during the show, so I don't see why you couldn't attempt to do the same (in a way).

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-03-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole concept of "public domain" is just that, we all now own the rights of the original product if the copyright has elapsed. You don't need to contact the rights holders of "Macbeth" or Beethoven's 9th symphony if you want to stage them, because they are in the public domain. But the source material you may be using to stage them may have been copyrighted as you've got to get the play and the score from somewhere.

And you can't commercially show Polanski's "Macbeth" or score your film with Beethoven's 9th done by the Boston Philharmonic unless you ask their permission. There are some films in the public domain whose soundtracks are not. There are even PD films with clips of films or a TV show in a scene that are not PD.

Until recently (the late '80's or early '90's I think) trailers were not copyright protected at all.

So if you have a film that is PD you don't have to pay for the right to play it and you can charge whatever the market will pay.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: