Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Business slow in Sweden right now

Author Topic: Business slow in Sweden right now
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2005 03:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Business is lousy here in Sweden right now. Figures from
the Swedish Film Institute says attendance for the first
two months has dropped 20% compared to 2004. My guess is
the figures for March and April are even worse.

How is the situation in the US and other parts of the world?

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have not been busy for some time now here in Seattle. Not sure if it's the films or the weather or if people are finding something else to do (like rent DVDs).
We got spring early here this year and we are outdoors people here in the great Northwest.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2005 05:11 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed quite a few closed stores in all the malls in the Atlanta area (not a good sign for the economy). We have very high gas prices in the US right now, that could be one reason that people do not have money to spend on other things.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been busy here in NYC. With all the weather changes, there is a lot of tourists in town.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-28-2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dollar exchange rate favors growth in international tourism to places like New York City.

I'm not surprised to hear anyone commenting that business at movie theaters is slow. From the beginning of this year most shows have been turkeys. Few hits at all.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the movies. Last year we had "Passion." But usually this is a slow time of year almost every year. Wait.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
****Warning there is a lot of information compiled in this post, sorry for its length, but it gives us an idea of what each spring looked like****

This was in this weeks Entertainment Weekly

Movie Theater Attendance From 1/1-4/17

2002 --- 439 Million tickets sold
2003 --- 389 Million tickets sold
2004 --- 407 Million tickets sold (58 Million "The Passion of the Christ")
2005 --- 379 Million tickets sold

Source Exhibitor Relations Co., Inc.

For Release date information

***There are many other films released in this time frame, these are only the major releases***

Spring Release's 2002

Orange County
Snow Dogs
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Walk to Remember, A
Mothman Prophecies, The
Count of Monte Cristo, The
Slackers
Collateral Damage
Rollerball
Big Fat Liar
Return to Neverland
John Q
Hart's War
Super Troopers
Queen of the Damned, The
We Were Soldiers
40 Days and 40 Nights
Time Machine, The
All About the Benjamins
Ice Age
Showtime
Resident Evil
E.T.(20th Anniversary)
Blade 2
Panic Room, The
Rookie, The
Death to Smoochy
National Lampoon's Van Wilder
Big Trouble
Sweetest Thing, The
Changing Lanes

Spring Releases 2003

Just Married
Blue Collar Comedy Tour
National Security
Hours, The
Darkness Falls
Final Destination 2
Recruit, The
Biker Boyz
Shanghai Knights
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Daredevil
Old School
Dark Blue
Life of David Gale, The
Gods and Generals
Cradle 2: The Grave
Tears of the Sun
Bringin Down the House
Agent Cody Banks
Hunted, The
Willard
Bend It Like Beckham
Dreamcatcher
Boat Trip
Core, The
Basic
Head of State
What a Girl Wants
Phone Booth
Man Apart, A
Anger Management
House of 1,000 Corpses
Bulletproof Monk

Spring Releases 2004

Chasing Liberty
My Baby's Daddy
Big Fish
Along Came Polly
Torque
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!
Butterfly Effect, The
Big Bounce, The
Perfect Score, The
You Got Served
Barbershop 2
Miracle
50 First Dates
Welcome to Mooseport
Eurotrip
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
Passion of the Christ, The
Twisted
Starsky & Hutch
Hidalgo
Secret Window
Dawn of the Dead
Taking Lives
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Ladykillers, The
Jersey Girl
Home on the Range
Hellboy
Walking Tall
Prince and Me, The
The Whole Ten Yards
Alamo, The
Girl Next Door, The
Ella Enchanted
Johnson Family Vacation
Kill B ill: Vol 2
Punisher, The

Spring Releases 2005

White Noise
Racing Stripes
Elektra
In Good Company
Coach Carter
Amityville Horror, The
Assault on Precinct 13
Are We There Yet?
Hide and Seek
Alone in the Dark
Boogeyman
Wedding Date, The
Hitch
Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Because of Winn-Dixie
Constantine
Son of the Mask
Cursed
Diary of a Mad Black Woman
Upside of Anger, The
Man of the House
Jacket, The
Be Cool
Pacifier, The
Robots
Hostage
Millions
Ring Two, The
Melinda and Melinda
Ice Princess
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
D.E.B.S.
Guess Who
Beauty Shop
Sin City
Sahara
Fever Pitch

I'm sure that I've missed a few films here and there but just by looking at the movies and quality of movies that have been released in the past 4 years, I would have to say that Spring 2002 had the best schedule, as the numbers show.

Sorry about the length everyone, hope this helps

---KURT

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2005 08:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. So leaving "Passion" out of the picture, we've picked up from last year. This is a cyclical business and always has been. Personally I think this is going to be a slow summer too, given that virtually all of the high profile movies are either sequels, TV adaptations or remakes, but I hope I'm wrong.

(edit to fix typo.)

[ 04-30-2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2005 02:25 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
things are slow here in auckland generally. right now its picked up cause of school holidays, but after this weekend it will be dead again. star wars is all that can save us.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think this is going to be a slow summer too, given that virtually all of the high profile movies are either sequels, TV adaptations or remakes
But that's fairly typical for summer films. With the exception of, say, Pixar films, studios will rarely put out a "tent pole" or "high profile" picture that isn't based on previous material.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(EDIT)Sorry mis read Jeremys post and wrote something that I couldn't even understand...

What I ment to say is, there are plenty of films released every summer that are not based on a previous film or tv show. But there will all ways be the remakes every year, something we can never get rid of unfortunately

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our business is up over the last three or four years. Janurary and February boomed over last years grosses. March did better than the last few years but not by as much. April was better but just slightly. Over-all our grosses this year have been the best in the last five years. We seem to be in a lul right now. Things just got kind of stagnant. But with the upcoming summer films things look promising.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
there are plenty of films released every summer that are not based on a previous film or tv show.
True, true... I was talking about "previous material" in general... including: books, video games, comics, poems, based on "true stories"... etc etc...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: