Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Digital telephone audiotex equipment suggestions

Author Topic: Digital telephone audiotex equipment suggestions
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What equipment does your theatre use to answer the phone and provide movie times?
Please list make, model, number of lines handled, and where it can be purchased. Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2005 02:42 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've designed several IVR systems, but never for a cinema. But thats not important.

You need

a) IVR software - http://www.voiceguide.com
b) Dialogic line cards
c) A PC to put them in

For announcement you'll only need the basic edition of the software, which is good to 30 lines. If thats not enough, there are other options to go to 240 lines per PC.

For announcements, even quite complex stuff (press 2 for next weeks upcoming movies etc) there is no programming involved, its all drag and drop icons.

There is, of course, other IVR software available, but this just my recommendation is from personal experience, I know it works, I have no experience of other software.

There are other options I've seen mentioned here, including one that connects lots of callers onto the modern equivalent of a tape loop, so the caller gets to start mid-way through the announcment. Thats an example of (to paraphrase something you hear a lot round here) IVR done wrong, and in my opinion gives the impression of a business with poor attention to detail. You mileage may vary.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-17-2005 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A now-defunct theatre near here used to have a system with a menu, "press 1 for showtimes, press 2 for our polilcies on R-rated movies," etc. I would like to find something like that but it only has to handle 1 line.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 05:35 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One system I have always wanted to see used in a theater is Asterisk
It is an open source PBX system that runs on Linux. As far as equiptment is concerned, it can run on a PC. It will even let you incorporate VOIP lines with services such as Broadvoice.
Appearently, it is pretty easy to set up and very scalable and functional.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this one: Datalabs

Also this one, but it's overkill, neat, but overkill: MXU+ Small

I'd prefer to not use a PC for this. I want it reliable. [Eek!]

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 07:37 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what do you think lurks under the snazzy metal box of the neat, overkill MXU...?

Yep, its a PC.

Todd Leach
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Todd Leach   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Talkswitch 24 works great for a small theater.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Talkswitch 24 looks great!
Does it do any type of reporting?

Todd Leach
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Todd Leach   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reporting it does is it tells you how much memory the voice mail and auto attendants use. It doesn't log or count calls.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: