Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ohio cinemas, others offer moviegoers the star treatment

Author Topic: Ohio cinemas, others offer moviegoers the star treatment
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohio cinemas, others offer moviegoers the star treatment
quote:
Ohio cinemas, others offer moviegoers the star treatment
Prepare to pay twice as much to be a VIP
Sunday, April 10, 2005
John Seewer
Associated Press Writer

Maumee- Cinema operators are treating moviegoers like stars, pampering them with cushy chairs, private concession stands and valet parking to keep their share of entertainment spending.

They're experimenting with VIP seating - no arm-rest sharing here - and fine dining, all at a higher price.

At about a dozen National Amusements Inc. theaters around the country, auditoriums have been fitted with wide leather seats and wall-to-wall screens, said spokesman Brian Callahan.

"If you're going to a football game, you can sit in a luxury box. If you're flying, you can sit in first class," he said. "At the movies it had been always one level of service."

Because movie houses make little money from showing films, they must turn to popcorn and soda sales for profits.

Selling glasses of wine and higher-priced seats in an atmosphere that has a country-club feel is a way to increase earnings and give people a reason to leave their home theaters for a night.

The number of people going to the movies dropped from 1.63 billion in 2002 to 1.53 billion last year as the availability of home- entertainment options soared.

The theater extras add anywhere from $2 to double the price of a regular ticket. The average ticket cost was $6.21 in 2004.

It's all about giving the moviegoer more choices, said Jason Squire, editor of the book "The Movie Business" and an instructor at the University of Southern California's School of Cinema- Television.

"You don't have to choose the deluxe environment," he said, adding that the industry deserves credit for trying to enhance the experience of going to the movies.

The National Association of Theater Owners doesn't track how many cinemas offer VIP seating. But interviews with theater operators indicate the num ber is just a fraction of the 37,000 screens nationwide.

They realize most customers, like Will Norris of Toledo, are satisfied with cinemas and won't opt for exclusive seating.

"Movie theater seats are so comfortable now anyway," Norris said after catching an afternoon showing of "Be Cool" at the Maumee 18 Cinema De Lux near Toledo.

Four auditoriums at the National Amusements cinema were transformed from the standard stadium-seating setup to one with wider aisles and seats. It costs $3 more to watch a movie in those theaters.

The added charge would be worth it, said Mike Day of Toledo, just so he could avoid crowds and their constant commentary during the film.

"Those things are what keep us from coming to more movies," he said. "That's why we come to matinees."

Matthew Harrigan, a movie-industry analyst with suburban Denver-based Janco Partners Inc., said he's doubtful that VIP seating will take off even though it's worked in the United Kingdom.

"Americans are too unruly for that," said Harrigan, who laughed at the thought of a reserved seating section in a New York City cinema on a Friday night.

"You can imagine what a mess that would be," he said.

Loews Cineplex Theaters, the nation's fifth-largest movie chain, has tried a couple of approaches to VIP seating.

Some of its theaters offer first- class seats that are sectioned off and reserved inside the traditional theater and allow those customers to order snacks from their seats.

The more exclusive Loews Club at a theater in West Homestead, Pa., offers free coat check, lounge chairs to watch the show and a restaurant that serves fresh fish and a crab and artichoke dip.

Sitting in those stuffed leather chairs costs $5.50 more per ticket.

At the Muvico Palace 20 in Boca Raton, Fla., there's a separate entrance to the 21-and-over premier seating area. An escalator takes moviegoers to a bistro and bar where they can eat dinner, have a drink or walk down a hallway to one of six balcony- seating areas.

There are love seats in the balconies, and the popcorn is free. Tickets cost $18 for evening shows, double the normal price.

"We patterned it after club- level seating at sporting complexes," said Jim Lee, a spokesman for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., based-Muvico Theaters Inc.

It opened five years ago and is packed on weekends, Lee said.

The Palace 20 is the only one of the company's 12 theaters with premier seating. Another under construction in New Jersey next to the Meadowlands Sports Complex will offer it.

Cleveland Cinemas President Jonathan Foreman said he has considered adding VIP seating at the chain's seven sites but isn't sure he could make up the costs.

Cinema seats typically cost about $100 to install, while a luxury is two or four times that amount, he said.

"It can work if you have a market that will support it," Foreman said.

Instead, he has added coffee and fresh-baked muffins along with beer and wine at some theaters.

"Anytime you can do something to enhance the viewing experience, it's certainly worth trying," Foreman said.

© 2005 The Plain Dealer.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a National Amusements Cinema De Lux last week down in LA. I was very impressed - it was an awesome building.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 09:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get so sick of seeing media quotes like this:

quote:
The number of people going to the movies dropped from 1.63 billion in 2002 to 1.53 billion last year as the availability of home- entertainment options soared.
HEY, MEDIA! The movie business has its UPS AND DOWNS. It's been this way SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MOVIES. Attendance today is still better than it has been since the 1950s!

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That National Amusements theater was literally just around the corner from the UPS hub I worked at in Maumee (Toledo). In fact a friend of mine worked there as a manager who went to school at BGSU also.

I tried getting a projectionist job in Toledo while going to school at Bowling Green. Unfortunately National Amusements doesn't use projectionists in the Toledo area and they have the entire city tied up. They own just about everything in that market. The IATSE in Toledo only has 4-5 members I was told. Jeffry you may be able to confirm or deny this. That is why I ended up at UPS.

The Maumee theater was being built while I worked at UPS. It is a nice theater with a huge lobby (two stories tall) and they have all the bells and whistles. Electronic billboards that give movie times and credit card machines at the concession stand(this was 6-7 years ago).It was an 18 screen if my memory serves me correctly. I visited my buddy there and got to see the booth. Nice booth but split up all over the building like many newer theaters.

The real kicker about all this is a couple of projectionist buddies and I were looking into a closed down theater in Mansfield 8-9 years ago. Our idea was to have a theater that played older flicks like Star Wars and big name movies while providing couches and a coffehouse feel. Little tables in the center of a few chairs while providing gourmet coffee, food and pastries while taking in your favorite 70,80,90's flicks. Should have tried it, might have worked although Mansfield is a less afluent market. [Confused]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-10-2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the "Premium Cinema" concept that General Cinema (and, later, AMC) introduced in several markets. The idea was that they have a mini-restaurant adjacent to the smallish theatre. Ticket prices are in the $15 range. Popcorn is free and alcohol is available.

I didn't think that the concept was very likely to succeed, but apparently it has done well enough that they keep doing it.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 11:32 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muvico (last time I checked) was not allowed to show movies from some movie companies (BVD) in those houses anymore.

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That article was great advertisment. You can't buy press like that.
The Assistant Manager hung the article up in the office today. Our theater is in the process of checking into stadium seats and a major face lift.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the 'premium seating' done in different ways, with cinemas having seperate screens, or premium seats inside a standard screen.(Like the difference between the stalls and the balcony)

Building seperate screens is less flexable and requires more staff at quiet times. Also if films are showing at diffent times it can be confusing to customers (who then complain about having different prices). Also the 'premium screens' were often smaller than the main screens.

I think there were issues with how the 'seat upgrade' charge was seen by the distributer.

If a cinema is running the service (especially if they sell food) it is often better if they have a manager with resturant/bar experience rather than just with cinema experience.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended a Premium Cinema as done by AMC at the Mayfair Mall 18 near Milwaukee, WI when they still had it a couple of years ago. It might have been a GCC location at that time, I don't recall.

The way they did it was they had a fancy sit-down restaurant located next to the screen, and you could proceed from your table to the theater when you were finished. You didn't have to eat at the restaurant in order to attend a movie. Seating in the theater was reserved, so you had your choice of seats when you made your reservation for dinner.

The food was excellent, and the theater was excellent as well. The seats in the theater were wide leather captain's chairs, with plenty of leg room and convenient fold out tables mounted near the backs of the row ahead. Drinks were served to our seats. A very comfortable and enjoyable experience!

However, slow service at the restaurant during one visit caused a problem with finishing our meal without rushing in order to make the beginning of the movie.

The tickets for the movie and the prices of the meals were not cheap, so quality and service had to match the premium price. Even with the one problem we had, I would have gone back to the theater again, but it closed before I could return.

Problems aside, it made going to a movie an event again. It was fun, and the extra price wasn't all that bad considering how much going to the movies costs already in both time and money.

I think it makes sense for theaters to make premium seating part of the mix of services they offer to their customers.

It's difficult to justify adding the restaurant as part of that mix, because serving food and showing movies aren't exactly drawn from the same set of core compentencies, but having a restaurant (like an Applebee's or Famous Dave's) within short walking distance to the theater (ideally via weather-protected walkway) would be a good idea.

Make going to the movies more of an enjoyable experience and less like cattle in a stockyard, and I'd go more often. I'll bet there are many prospective customers who believe likewise.

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like the concept, classist though it may be. The only similar thing I've ever expericend was Madstone's membership program, but we certainly didn't have better seats for that or anything. Members got to skip the big lines on Friday and Saturday night, though, and get some free concessions.

I'm thinking of putting a couch in one of my theaters with a sign on it that says VIPS ONLY. I will then print exactly one VIP membership card with my name on it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: